Jamious Griffin USA Today 1st team All-American

Honestly I'm not sure we can even play that card. We have a öööö ton of RBs that are decent to good. I want Griffin, but it's certainly no guarantee that he beats out Benson, Mason, Howard, or even Malloy/Amerson/Ellison.

That argument may be what lands us Jalen Hurts, Brandon Wimbush, or another grad transfer QB, though.

I think this type of message is counter-productive. Would you honestly say to a recruit in the business world, "Look, you know and I know that you're not good enough to work for our competitor. Let's face it - they have the best. If you come here, you can actually get recognized for the almost-great talent that you really are!".

No, you say, "You're the perfect fit for what we do, and I have a plan that is going to take your skills and make you the best player you can be. If you sign with us, I can see you doing x, y and z to make a huge impact here. Not to mention, if anything happens you'll have an amazing degree with a network that includes amazing contacts in the business world."

We face enough negative recruiting, we shouldn't add to it by negatively recruiting ourselves. And, I'm sure the coaches don't do that....it's more of a fan thing.

I think this type of message is counter-productive. Would you honestly say to a recruit in the business world, "Look, you know and I know that you're not good enough to work for our competitor. Let's face it - they have the best. If you come here, you can actually get recognized for the almost-great talent that you really are!".

No, you say, "You're the perfect fit for what we do, and I have a plan that is going to take your skills and make you the best player you can be. If you sign with us, I can see you doing x, y and z to make a huge impact here. Not to mention, if anything happens you'll have an amazing degree with a network that includes amazing contacts in the business world."

We face enough negative recruiting, we shouldn't add to it by negatively recruiting ourselves. And, I'm sure the coaches don't do that....it's more of a fan thing.

If a coach is as incompetent at explaining it as you are, no we should not use that recruiting technique.

But any competent coach can say, "We have an opening at your position, which you would fill perfectly. Still, you'd have to earn it..." and it will resonate. Really, all of recruiting boils down to, "we have a slot for you." Just emphasis on different words in that phrase.

Back