Johnson to retire

I specifically said that's what's needed to be successful in the NFL.

Look at the current division leaders in the NFL. Three have future Hall of Famers at QB and three have Pro Bowl caliber young QBs. The other two have Dak Prescott and Mitch Trubisky, both of whom are light years ahead of the guys Whisenhunt had in his last three years in Arizona (Derek Anderson, Kevin Kolb, and John Skelton).

Fart noises. By the way we're making excuses for this guy, I can already tell he's the next coach. Our QB situation is not going to be league-leading or even close at any point in his tenure. Book it.

Someone needs to put a piece - or three - of Sanford Stadium hedges in his hand for tomorrow's press conference.

Just got off the phone with a good friend who is a pretty significant donor. He said it was not a case of him being forced out. Said TStan has known it was a possibility for a while because Johnson had talked to him about it but this was simply a case of Johnson deciding he was done.

"The Cardinals proceeded to lose 9 straight games and in week 14 were blown out by the Seattle Seahawks 58-0."

"On January 13, 2014, the Tennessee Titans hired Whisenhunt as their new head coach. Whisenhunt had also interviewed for the head coaching position with the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns.[6] In Whisenhunt's first year, the Titans regressed heavily from their 2013 mark of 7–9. Tennessee finished the 2014 season with a 2–14 record, tying the Buccaneers for the worst record in the NFL.

On November 3, 2015, after starting the season 1–6, the Titans fired Whisenhunt and named Mike Mularkey the interim head coach. Whisenhunt finished with a 3–20 record during his tenure with the team."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt

Yeah, let's not do this.

Everybody in the CFB world sighing that collective sigh of relief that the offense is gone is making me anticipate laughing in the kind of way that puts people in the grave when we hire Jeff Monken.

The Clemson message board seems mostly sad about losing an annual victory and now possibly having to compete with another HC for GA recruits.

I'd rather Johnson stayed, but with him moving on, I guess I'd rather the offense go with him rather than bring in a different practitioner. Hope all the "dancing in the streets" folks remember how happy they were today while we go 3-9 for the next couple of seasons. :-)

JRjr

To quote Wes Durham from 2008 COFH: A lot of folks thought they'd be 3-9. They got a case of the 9-3s.
I guess I'll be busy rewatching the 2014 Orange Bowl and the 2016 Gator Bowl tonight.

"The Cardinals proceeded to lose 9 straight games and in week 14 were blown out by the Seattle Seahawks 58-0."

"On January 13, 2014, the Tennessee Titans hired Whisenhunt as their new head coach. Whisenhunt had also interviewed for the head coaching position with the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns.[6] In Whisenhunt's first year, the Titans regressed heavily from their 2013 mark of 7–9. Tennessee finished the 2014 season with a 2–14 record, tying the Buccaneers for the worst record in the NFL.

On November 3, 2015, after starting the season 1–6, the Titans fired Whisenhunt and named Mike Mularkey the interim head coach. Whisenhunt finished with a 3–20 record during his tenure with the team."

Yeah, let's not do this.
If we hire Whisenhunt, I'd dream of the capability to jump back in time to kill my dad so I'm never born and won't ever make the fateful decision of cheering for the Jackets at the tender age of 5.

If we hire Whisenhunt, I'd dream of the capability to jump back in time and kill my dad so I'm never born and won't ever make the fateful decision of cheering for the Jackets at the tender age of 5.

I’d rather switch to rooting for Georgia than watch a single game with Ken Whisenhunt on the sideline

Am I the only one that found it just a little odd that the word "retire" hasn't been used in any of the official statements? It says "steps down" and he wants to "take a break" from coaching.

Fart noises. By the way we're making excuses for this guy, I can already tell he's the next coach. Our QB situation is not going to be league-leading or even close at any point in his tenure. Book it.

Mmmk man. You keep ignoring that I'm talking about success in the NFL. I have no more idea than you do how he would fare in college (which is why I'd prefer us to steer clear of lifelong pro coaches), but it's only logical to look at the quarterbacks one has at their disposal when evaluating NFL success.

John Skelton was a 5th round pick who couldn't even make it in Canada. Quarterback whisperer Andy Reid gave up on Kevin Kolb, and Derek Anderson has four starts in 8 years since leaving Arizona. No coach is going to look like a genius with those guys behind center.

Am I the only one that found it just a little odd that the word "retire" hasn't been used in any of the official statements? It says "steps down" and he wants to "take a break" from coaching.

UCF gonna need a new coach after this year anyways.

Probably he's open to coaching somewhere again in a few years

Yeah, let's not do this.

Can you list off the coaches who regularly win with bad quarterbacks?

Mmmk man. You keep ignoring that I'm talking about success in the NFL. I have no more idea than you do how he would fare in college (which is why I'd prefer us to steer clear of lifelong pro coaches), but it's only logical to look at the quarterbacks one has at their disposal when evaluating NFL success.

John Skelton was a 5th round pick who couldn't even make it in Canada. Quarterback whisperer Andy Reid gave up on Kevin Kolb, and Derek Anderson has four starts in 8 years since leaving Arizona. No coach is going to look like a genius with those guys behind center.

Your post starts with a sarcastic quip about me ignoring things, then the rest of it is you listing reasons for ignoring things. Hey wait, is this irony?

Back