Kicky McCrappo

In regards to the kicking game, on Snoddy's almost disastrous kickoff return I was under the impression that if the touching of the kick did not change the impetuous of the kick the play because the ball went into the end zone would have been a touchback.

Right. Although I'm almost positive he did not have to take it out. He could have just kneeled it. For a safety to occur, the offensive player has to possess the ball outside of the endzone, not just touch it.

Right. Although I'm almost positive he did not have to take it out. He could have just kneeled it. For a safety to occur, the offensive player has to possess the ball outside of the endzone, not just touch it.

People are going to think we're crazy. I tried to find the rule on line but couldn't. So you agree that he could have stayed in the end zone for a touchback?

Didn't this play happen to us against UGA in '07? Could have sworn I remembered a play where they muffed a punt and came out of the pile with the ball in the endzone for a TB.

Didn't this play happen to us against UGA in '07? Could have sworn I remembered a play where they muffed a punt and came out of the pile with the ball in the endzone for a TB.

I think that was the whole Morgan Burnett scramble in the north endzone for the ball and the refs ruled it out when we recovered it, as I remember. I think that was it. I never did watch the replay of it. We should have won that öööö game.

I think that was the whole Morgan Burnett scramble in the north endzone for the ball and the refs ruled it out when we recovered it, as I remember. I think that was it. I never did watch the replay of it. We should have won that öööö game.

VT game is always close. But the ugag games kill my soul when they end up coming down to some BS ref ruling. We've been screwed on those so many times.

People are going to think we're crazy. I tried to find the rule on line but couldn't. So you agree that he could have stayed in the end zone for a touchback?

Yeah. I was really surprised when he took it out.

Snoddy was smart to not assume it was safe to kneel. The rule may say it was a touchback, but in the heat of the game, I'm glad he took off with it.

Snoddy was smart to not assume it was safe to kneel. The rule may say it was a touchback, but in the heat of the game, I'm glad he took off with it.

I was glad he took off with it after he passed the 10 yard line.

I think he thought it was a live ball since it was not caught in the endzone. Ala Orwin Smith vs. Miami 2012.

I feel like that's honestly a pretty basic rule for a kick returner to know. I guess it's better to go if you're not sure but it's better to know.

There were two in that game. The first one was muffed on about the ten yardline and then the ugag returner turned, reached for the ball at the two, and then did a "three stooges kick-it-as-you-reach-for-it" into the end zone.

The second one came down on a dwag blocker's helmet and sprang into the end zone. I thought Michael Johnson recovered but it was a touch back just like the first one.

I think he thought it was a live ball since it was not caught in the endzone. Ala Orwin Smith vs. Miami 2012.

It was a live ball since he touched it but it went in the end zone without his help so he could have downed it. If a kickoff touches the ground in the end zone and nobody has touched it, then it's a dead ball touchback. Basically, the situation Saturday calls for him to down it. However (and this might be what we should do), If the ball comes down on the three, we can get out of the way and hopefully let it roll into the end zone for the automatic touchback. The problem is the once-in-a-while wedge shot that backs up.

I've always wondered why people still catch a kickoff that they know they're not going to return.

It was a live ball since he touched it but it went in the end zone without his help so he could have downed it. If a kickoff touches the ground in the end zone and nobody has touched it, then it's a dead ball touchback. Basically, the situation Saturday calls for him to down it. However (and this might be what we should do), If the ball comes down on the three, we can get out of the way and hopefully let it roll into the end zone for the automatic touchback. The problem is the once-in-a-while wedge shot that backs up.

I've always wondered why people still catch a kickoff that they know they're not going to return.

I assume they just wanted the game time experience of catching a ball

How come you never see this? Even on a regular field goal attempt, or sometimes a PAT to tie or take the lead, I know numerous times I can remember them being blocked. Why not give yourself a couple extra yards of cushion? Seems to me 2 yards would make a world of difference in whether a defender can get there to block. Plus if they've been practicing blocks and timing, you're essentially throwing the defenders natural angle off too.

kicks are all about timing and practice. moving the ball further back would mess with the timing of the kicker and holder and upset the flow.

a blocked kick should never happen if you line up correctly to prevent the D from getting there. unless they have a guy with just incredible ups or speed on the team. even then, you should be able to prevent it by the way you line up

i guess you have never played football

How come you never see this? Even on a regular field goal attempt, or sometimes a PAT to tie or take the lead, I know numerous times I can remember them being blocked. Why not give yourself a couple extra yards of cushion? Seems to me 2 yards would make a world of difference in whether a defender can get there to block. Plus if they've been practicing blocks and timing, you're essentially throwing the defenders natural angle off too.

I think the current 7 yards is the happiest medium found between being far back enough that the kicker has time to get it up over the hands of the other team, but close enough that the angles aren't too easy for the edge rushers. Guys are so fast that if you go too far back you make the angle too easy for the edge rushers. Think about how much further back a punt is - even then most teams have a second line of 3 blockers so the punter has time. You'd have to go WAY back, further than would be reasonable to expect your snapper to be accurate, in order to negate the edge rushers.

Back