King or Bulovas?

How can Wells missing one kick be proof he didn't take the opportunity, but King missing three (now four) kicks not be proof of that, too?

It's an old adage that some players play better than they practice. Is that true? Who knows? Who cares?

King sucks and a guy with a much better track record of making kicks was only allowed to kick once all year. That makes absolutely no sense.

I think the idea is that if you're a new coaching staff that comes in and determine one player looks better in practice, you're more likely to go with him. If another player gets a chance and makes the most of it, then maybe you go against what you're seeing in practice every day, but Wells didn't really do that this year. I'm not sure how many coaching staffs would play a player solely based off year-old film, especially if mechanically they're seeing things they don't like. (That last part is just speculation on my part, similar to the speculation that he got "sideways" with CGC.)

Over the course of their careers, King has missed twice as many PAT's as Wells (2 to 1), and eight times as many FG's as Wells (8 to 1). But you characterize this situation by saying it would be unreasonable to give Wells more chances? Huh?

The reality is that we had a perfect kicker last year and for some reason the new regime decided to let him kick one FG when our other kicker was hitting 50% of his kicks. The only explanation, IMHO, is that he got sideways with the coaches.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective!), kicking woes have been a minor footnote to this fiasco of a season, so it's not like the season hung in the balance on this.
It's much simpler than you're making it. You've heard the "Competition is king" mantra over & over. They put the 2 kickers head to head and King keeps beating Wells.
You honestly think the coaches who actually granted Wells a scholarship this year don't want him to produce? It's obvious from watching Wells warm up that it's in his head...it's not that he can't kick the ball anymore...but he dadgum sure can't put it between the uprights with any consistency.

Personally, I am disappointed with the way both of them have produced but if you tell kids they have to produce to get on the field and then they don't produce...well, you don't get on the field. It's simple. If Wesley can fix his issues (and boy do I hope he can) during the off-season, he should be able to win the kicking job next year. Whoever wins it, I just want a kicker who can be relied upon to put it in the end zone on kickoffs and put it through the uprights when we need it.

It's much simpler than you're making it. You've heard the "Competition is king" mantra over & over. They put the 2 kickers head to head and King keeps beating Wells.
You honestly think the coaches who actually granted Wells a scholarship this year don't want him to produce? It's obvious from watching Wells warm up that it's in his head...it's not that he can't kick the ball anymore...but he dadgum sure can't put it between the uprights with any consistency.

Personally, I am disappointed with the way both of them have produced but if you tell kids they have to produce to get on the field and then they don't produce...well, you don't get on the field. It's simple. If Wesley can fix his issues (and boy do I hope he can) during the off-season, he should be able to win the kicking job next year. Whoever wins it, I just want a kicker who can be relied upon to put it in the end zone on kickoffs and put it through the uprights when we need it.
What's simple is that King has been very poor and Wells has been much better – in the kicks that matter, of course. Obviously I agree that I don't know what's going on during practice.

That said, I do agree with @gtfan088 that "he got sideways" is just speculation and one possible explanation. Perhaps Wells has some kind of crazy off-the-field emotional life events that are not a physical injury but have nevertheless prevented him from being the modestly-legged-but-rock-solid kicker he was last year.

Whatever the explanation is, I cannot fathom how CGC wouldn't agree, given the record of failure that King has built, that Wells should be given some more chances.

Oh well, let's stop talking about last season and start talking about next season!

Believe that Wells had an injury earlier this year, IIRC. When he did eventually get in, it's clear he wasn't the same as a year ago. Maybe an off-season to properly heal will get him closer to where he was.

What's simple is that King has been very poor and Wells has been much better – in the kicks that matter, of course. Obviously I agree that I don't know what's going on during practice.

That said, I do agree with @gtfan088 that "he got sideways" is just speculation and one possible explanation. Perhaps Wells has some kind of crazy off-the-field emotional life events that are not a physical injury but have nevertheless prevented him from being the modestly-legged-but-rock-solid kicker he was last year.

Whatever the explanation is, I cannot fathom how CGC wouldn't agree, given the record of failure that King has built, that Wells should be given some more chances.

Oh well, let's stop talking about last season and start talking about next season!
I'm not speculating a damn thing. I've watched him repeatedly in warm ups because I kept thinking like you and going "Why isn't this kid still kicking?". But, the kid just cannot kick the ball the same way he did last year. I have no idea why. But it's true. All of you bitching about this are going on the "well he was good last year when it counted" and ignoring what everyone else who has seen the kid this year keeps telling you.

I'm done arguing about this. But you guys are trying to make something out of this when there is nothing there. If he's the better kicker, win the damn job. Otherwise, he doesn't deserve to be on the field...I don't care if he kicked 72 out of 72 field goals last year. This year, he sucked.

It seemed to me like King was pulling off of the ball, causing his kicks to fade to the right. Even when he makes it, the ball seems to tail towards the right(see that FG he made against the Citadel this year). I went and looked back at each FG Brenton King has missed in his career, and sure enough, my hypothesis was correct. Of the 8 FGs that he has missed in his career, 7 of them have been wide right and only one of them was wide left(2018 against Clemson).

I'm not speculating a damn thing. I've watched him repeatedly in warm ups because I kept thinking like you and going "Why isn't this kid still kicking?". But, the kid just cannot kick the ball the same way he did last year. I have no idea why. But it's true. All of you bitching about this are going on the "well he was good last year when it counted" and ignoring what everyone else who has seen the kid this year keeps telling you.

I'm done arguing about this. But you guys are trying to make something out of this when there is nothing there. If he's the better kicker, win the damn job. Otherwise, he doesn't deserve to be on the field...I don't care if he kicked 72 out of 72 field goals last year. This year, he sucked.
Well I’m not done arguing with you

Who knows. I don’t get to watch them at practice. But missing a PAT (at college distance) could be an indication.

Last year is no guarantee for this year, and this year is now last year.

Man that was deep.

That's pretty classy from Bulovas.

Bulovas:

tenor.gif

Dude's sweating his future failing in front of the entire nation. Has a couple more years left to make everyone forget losing to the rival, because a Bama degree ain't gonna do much when he doesn't make a team. This Tebow letter prolly saved him from being excommunicated from the good ol' boy network for easy jobs at dealerships and the like.

Dude's sweating his future failing in front of the entire nation. Has a couple more years left to make everyone forget losing to the rival, because a Bama degree ain't gonna do much when he doesn't make a team. This Tebow letter prolly saved him from being excommunicated from the good ol' boy network for easy jobs at dealerships and the like.
That was my thought when I read that...didn't he literally take some of Tebow's own wording and use it? Wasn't that pretty much exactly what Tim Tebow said in his infamous "I promise..." speech?

Yeah, does anyone really believe that CGC is going to put less than his best option on the field because of some infraction that occurred at some point several months ago?

Yeah, does anyone really believe that CGC is going to put less than his best option on the field because of some infraction that occurred at some point several months ago?

Kickers can get mental and get a case of the yips. Being perfect for an entire year, and then having a new coach tell you that means nothing this year might screw with a kicker's brain and leg. Unforced error IMO.

Kickers can get mental and get a case of the yips. Being perfect for an entire year, and then having a new coach tell you that means nothing this year might screw with a kicker's brain and leg. Unforced error IMO.
Except that isn't what happened. The new coach actually granted you a scholarship and moved you off of walk-on status but then told every player on the team they have to compete to win their jobs. If doing that caused Wells to lose his mojo then I question whether he was going to be able to hold onto the job this year anyway.

Is he non-scholarship at Bama?
He started as a PWO, not sure if has been given a scholarship since. Looks like he took over the starting position halfway through last season so there's a chance he's on a scholly now.

Back