KQ: Major Staff Changes Coming

And do you think a quality asst. coach, knowing CPJ status, is going to come here at this point? Maybe a quality coach, but at the same time unknown coach.

And did not CPJ hire Wommack? That makes 4 hires of DCs.

CPJ is the problem. His O is a farce, no longer entertaining, ST diasasters, ignored D.

It was entertaining last year. It was entertaining when we were scoring at will against Tennessee. It’s entertaining when we score 30+ in five games this season. It’s entertaining when it has guys like Thomas, Days, M. Marshall, etc. in the backfield.

Just stop. There are teams in the top ten who score less than we do, but they win because of defense. With our offense’s ability to chew TOP, a solid defense will easily get us where we need to be. Maybe Stansbury will finally find us the money we need to hire a real defensive coordinator instead of having to settle for dollarbin deals like Womack, Groh, and Roof.

Maybe he can throw in some change for an actual ST coach as well.

regarding the D-coord hires: CPJ has said in the past he would've made different hires if not so constrained by budget. (specifically, it was a question about wommack). A big part of the reason we've gotten the guys we have is money. We could fire CTR, but if we don't pony up some cash for a really good DC, we won't get one.

regarding gtaa support: very early on CPJ asked for more recruiting staff, new minors (if not majors), and a larger staff budget. He has literally been campaigning for every thing we bitch about needing after every loss. I think CPJ knows what he's doing, it's just taken way too long for the gtaa to acquiesce. Maybe another coach could do better, but it seems like it'd be a dick move to fire him when he's been trying to remove the biggest obstacles to recruiting.

I know of two cases where we were outbid. He had a choice before Wommack, but was outbid by USC (The one in South Carolina). The second time, FSU outbid him for Charles Kelly.

Quinlan is generally annoying, but I'm kinda nodding along to his twitter feed tonight. He's trashing Bobinski hard.

That’s a real Georgia Tech major?
Seems like exactly the type of degree we need to attract recruits. What more are they looking for? (Or is it still too advanced for your typical 4* lineman?)

It’s a minor, if that.

Perhaps this is our “woken a sleeping giant” moment. Let’s see how Stansbury responds.

Paul Johnson can prove he's the smartest coach of all time. Give OC duties to someone he trusts and take over as DC until we get it right.I drank for twelve hours today

LMFAO - there isn't an ice cube's chance in hell of CPJ not being his own OC. Ego too big to do that.

Have you guys heard about this thing called a Wolf Defense? It's sort of like a nickel package, but different, because it has a wolf instead of a nickle back (which is also the name of a band, BTW).

And Wolfs are bad ass.

We should try that one.

Last edited:
It was entertaining last year. It was entertaining when we were scoring at will against Tennessee. It’s entertaining when we score 30+ in five games this season. It’s entertaining when it has guys like Thomas, Days, M. Marshall, etc. in the backfield.

Just stop. There are teams in the top ten who score less than we do, but they win because of defense. With our offense’s ability to chew TOP, a solid defense will easily get us where we need to be. Maybe Stansbury will finally find us the money we need to hire a real defensive coordinator instead of having to settle for dollarbin deals like Womack, Groh, and Roof.

Maybe he can throw in some change for an actual ST coach as well.
Agree with all of this. As a fan of both Georgia Tech and Clemson, I can say that Tech's offense under CPJ is generally better than Clemson's under Dabo. Hell, GT's offense last year was as good as the Clemson national championship offense with Deshaun Watson. In 2014 GT was much, much better. The difference is defense. When Clemson played Auburn at home this year, they had 10 drives that resulted in no points due to a punt or turnover. Auburn stopped them TEN TIMES IN ONE GAME. And yet Clemson won. What do you think would happen to us if we got stopped 10 times, even in our best season under CPJ?

We need to have a defense that can pick up the offense when they're struggling. Currently, if we struggle to move the ball, we get down a couple scores quick and start pressing because we know we have to score quickly before the dam bursts on our D. Teams like Clemson can relax and find their rhythm.

Honestly I don't know how much of it is Roof's fault, especially since his results are pretty similar to his two predecessors, but something's gotta change. I don't buy the offense affecting the defense AT ALL (or every pro style team would get destroyed by spread and vice versa) and the talent excuse goes out the window when Duke is consistently ramming it up our ass. If it's not poor playcalling, then it's poor preparation of the players. Either way, it's coaching.

Back