Labor Day game - How bad is FSU

Perception is heavily influenced by bias. Bias is heavily influenced by alumni and state culture. The ACC is popular in NC and VA. Most other states it’s in have other large state schools to follow or prefer pro sports. The Midwest and Southeast love their college sports. It’s no wonder they get the biggest drumbeats for being the best. It’s even slipping into basketball where the ACC is constantly undervalued.
Agreed to a point. Winning also changes perception. Look at what the 2nd half of last year through week 1 this year have done for GT nationally. People have finally come to terms nationally about how bad the previous guy was, and praise the job CBK has done in a short period of time.

Reality is, I’ve heard more GT talk on XM College Sports over the last month, than I did the last 5 years combined between 790/680 before moving out of metro ATL/Georgia 16 years ago. I doubt that’s really changed much with uga and now the Falcons starting.

And when all eyes were on the ACC, #10 UofL wet the bed against a mediocre UK team. You never know how much a Top 10 win for FSU the next week could have changed the #4 seed in the CFP.

Did you by chance look at the 7-5 head-to-head matchups, and who the teams playing were? FSU, Clemson accounted for 4 of the 7 wins. Other 3 were:

Clemson went 4-4 in the ACC. They were literally a middle of the pack ACC team. They weren't special.

So that leaves FSU accounting for 2 of the ACC's 7 wins. Which is less top-heavy representation than UGA accounting for 2 of the SEC's 5 wins.

Look, the SEC was obviously a better conference. But if it was as much better as SEC fans and ESPN think it is, then there's no possible way the ACC could have beaten them head to head. They continually act like the difference is as big as the gap between the NFL and the SEC.

Clemson went 4-4 in the ACC. They were literally a middle of the pack ACC team. They weren't special.

So that leaves FSU accounting for 2 of the ACC's 7 wins. Which is less top-heavy representation than UGA accounting for 2 of the SEC's 5 wins.

Look, the SEC was obviously a better conference. But if it was as much better as SEC fans and ESPN think it is, then there's no possible way the ACC could have beaten them head to head. They continually act like the difference is as big as the gap between the NFL and the SEC.
Problem is, the ACC top level isn’t stacking up depth wise against the sec/B1G. And when upper level ACC teams (UofL for example) are losing to lower tier or comparable sec teams isn’t a good thing. Here are the results from last year by team.

ACC #1 FSU beat SEC #5 (LSU), SEC #10 (UF), lost to SEC #2 (uga).
ACC #2 UofL lost to SEC #9 (UK).
ACC #4 GT lost to SEC #2 (uga), SEC #4 (Ole Miss).
ACC #6 Clemson (who you call “middle of the pack”) beat SEC #11 (South Carolina), SEC #9 (UK).
ACC #7 UNC beat SEC #11 (South Carolina).
ACC #13 UVA lost to SEC #6 (Tennessee).
ACC #14 Wake beat SEC #14 (Vandy).

Look it’s early in the year. I know the panic button has been pushed by the ACC channel (because of FSU, Clemson, VT), but I’ll reserve full judgement on the depth of the league until after teams have played 4 games. Is it a big week for the league this weekend OOC? Without question. And it starts tonight with Duke-NW, BYU-SMU, followed by Cal-Auburn, Tennessee-NCSU tomorrow. ACC needs to win 2/4 minimum.

One of the main reasons the SEC was perceived as better last year is because Arizona wasn’t starting their stud Freshman QB when they played Miss State. That game made it look like SEC’s worst was better than one of the Pac XII’s best all year to computers.

Without that game I believe the SEC and ACC numbers would’ve been much closer.

You also left off Miami over Texas A&M and calling us the ACC #4 is a little generous.

No question the rivalry game loss of Louisville to Kentucky hurt bad. But Louisville was kinda a paper tiger. Should’ve lost to a few ACC teams and got a little lucky. Similar to Iowa in the Big Ten.

This bad!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1725644267266.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725644267266.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 48
One of the main reasons the SEC was perceived as better last year is because Arizona wasn’t starting their stud Freshman QB when they played Miss State. That game made it look like SEC’s worst was better than one of the Pac XII’s best all year to computers.

Without that game I believe the SEC and ACC numbers would’ve been much closer.

You also left off Miami over Texas A&M and calling us the ACC #4 is a little generous.

No question the rivalry game loss of Louisville to Kentucky hurt bad. But Louisville was kinda a paper tiger. Should’ve lost to a few ACC teams and got a little lucky. Similar to Iowa in the Big Ten.
You’re correct. I forgot to add ACC #9 Miami over SEC #7 TAMU.

I based the rankings on how the team finished in the league. GT for example finished co #4 at 5-3 ACC with VT.

Calling UofL a “paper tiger” doesn’t really help the strength of the league. You’re only as good as your record says you are (especially in conference). I know OOC plays a role in that.

Iowa is a the true unicorn in CFB. They are a solid 8-10 wins a year program without any semblance of an offense. Go check their year-by-year record. It’s really hard to believe. Especially when they celebrate the punter as much as they did last year.

Back