Laughing Players Should Leave the Team

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:

Belly, you wrote:

You guys are unbelievable.

Was that sent to those that can't fathom the laughter from players about to lose? Not a flame, I just want to know.

As a non competitor, I know that I place too much emphasis on Tech football, but do these players really think its just a game?
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I sure hope they, at some point, "think it's just a game." That's what it is.

Also, different people have different ways of showing anxiety and stress. Sometimes it's by denial, by laughing at a bad situation.

Running down to the rail shrieking at some kid, who did after all practice all week and is on the team, says more to me about the shrieker than the kid.

Also, different people have different ways of showing anxiety and stress. Sometimes it's by denial, by laughing at a bad situation.

I can buy that as a possibility.

I was gone awhile. I really appreciate everyone's comments and I really think it speaks volumes when a former player is disappointed with sideline laughter. Thank you Refrigeratormover. That means a lot for this fan to hear.

I expected a couple to scoff at this as an overreaction and, of course, bring up the professional players.
Let's see, Vick and Dunn play for a 1-3 team. There's a team with a lot of problems. Maybe their current attitude is one of those problems.
But, anyway, I don't care for professional sports for that very reason -- I really think many of those guys care only for themselves. How much loyalty and dedication to their unit do they really possess? Why then, should I really care to watch them? At least you have guys in college (Kelly Rhino, etc.) who play for the love of the game and realize they might/won't get a paycheck at the end. And, a college player will always stay loyal to their one team/one alma mater.

Also, in collegiate sports you're talking about younger individuals who you can impress more and guide more. I believe we need to set a tone of dedication and focus on the team and diehard loyalty, not lighthearted fare or mild concern.
This guy, I guarantee you, did not laugh from a nervous twitch or anxiety (I believe bellyseries argued the possibility). The player referenced has never seen the field. He just didn't seem real attached to the impending loss at hand. And, I think you address that. Sure, it's just a game, but if you don't really care about it, then don't play it.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Laughing and this kind of crap is a direct result of the overall tone set by the head coach.

Again, I long for the days of GOL who would have snatched someone up for that kind of junk.

Gailey is out of touch in the motivation department. This is NFL type of trash that does not work in college unless your talent is so tops like at Miami you can outproduce people. We ain't Miami so it looks a little silly to be talking smack when you are in a dogfight against a team like Vanderbilt.

Pitiful.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You mean the same Coach Gailey who was supposed to be coaching our team to a comeback win against Vanderbilt? Or should he have asked for timeout to go and set the player (Who he most likely didn't even see laughing if he was on the bench) straight?

Yeah, Yeah, yuk it up on the sidelines. Then watch when the final horn blows and watch them slap backs like our QB after FSU last year just to show "it's just a game".

In case you haven't noticed, this ain't the NFL.

Originally posted by The Jacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Father WASP:
Laughing and this kind of crap is a direct result of the overall tone set by the head coach.

Again, I long for the days of GOL who would have snatched someone up for that kind of junk.

Gailey is out of touch in the motivation department. This is NFL type of trash that does not work in college unless your talent is so tops like at Miami you can outproduce people. We ain't Miami so it looks a little silly to be talking smack when you are in a dogfight against a team like Vanderbilt.

Pitiful.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You mean the same Coach Gailey who was supposed to be coaching our team to a comeback win against Vanderbilt? Or should he have asked for timeout to go and set the player (Who he most likely didn't even see laughing if he was on the bench) straight?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I wouldn't exactly call what he WAS doing as "coaching". By all accounts, it was Nix who saw what had been going on during the game and made the suggestion for the bootleg. Gailey does get the credit though for making the final decision and having the confidence in Reggie to execute the bootleg. Gailey admitted he wasn't talking to the players. Lets not go overboard in lavishing praises on his sudden revelations before overtime started.

Yeah, Yeah, yuk it up on the sidelines. Then watch when the final horn blows and watch them slap backs like our QB after FSU last year just to show "it's just a game".

In case you haven't noticed, this ain't the NFL.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Which one should he have been doing in your opinion FW? Not a flame or anything, I seriously want to know.

Should Gailey have been coaching the team to a victory or making sure that none of the players back on the bench were smiling or laughing?

Originally posted by BEESerk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by The Jacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Father WASP:

Pitiful.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You mean the same Coach Gailey who was supposed to be coaching our team to a comeback win against Vanderbilt? Or should he have asked for timeout to go and set the player (Who he most likely didn't even see laughing if he was on the bench) straight?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I wouldn't exactly call what he WAS doing as "coaching". By all accounts, it was Nix who saw what had been going on during the game and made the suggestion for the bootleg. Gailey does get the credit though for making the final decision and having the confidence in Reggie to execute the bootleg. Gailey admitted he wasn't talking to the players. Lets not go overboard in lavishing praises on his sudden revelations before overtime started.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're avoiding the subject and returning to the point of whether or not Gailey's coaching abilities are satisfactory. Nice try, but I want my question answered.

i dont think gailey should take any blame for a player laughing on the sidelines. its not that serious a thing and we dont know why the players were laughing, sometimes laughter is natural and cannot be controlled.

but most probably the players were laughing at how pathetic the play calling was at the moment (sorry i had to get that cheap shot in)

The Jacket,

I am not sure what question you want me to answer.

If it is "should he have asked for timeout to go and set the player (Who he most likely didn't even see laughing if he was on the bench) straight?"

Then I would give you a resounding NO. He has better things to do at the moment, like listening to his assistants. Which he did. I could not care less about a walk-on that was laughing on the side-line. If Reggie Ball was cutting it up on the sideline, or Daryl Smith.... then I would have issues.

Originally posted by ShadyJacket:
i dont think gailey should take any blame for a player laughing on the sidelines. its not that serious a thing and we dont know why the players were laughing, sometimes laughter is natural and cannot be controlled.

but most probably the players were laughing at how pathetic the play calling was at the moment (sorry i had to get that cheap shot in)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ok, here's the thing.

You are obviously young. As I've said before, I estimate around 13 or 14 years old. Despite what you see done by someone such as BeeWare, it is bad to hijack threads. That sort of thing gets you banned, and rather quickly. The players have said that they are behind Gailey, why can't the fans be?

Originally posted by BEESerk:
The Jacket,

I am not sure what question you want me to answer.

If it is "should he have asked for timeout to go and set the player (Who he most likely didn't even see laughing if he was on the bench) straight?"

Then I would give you a resounding NO. He has better things to do at the moment, like listening to his assistants. Which he did. I could not care less about a walk-on that was laughing on the side-line. If Reggie Ball was cutting it up on the sideline, or Daryl Smith.... then I would have issues.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Is it bad in your opinion for him to have or listen to assistants?

The Jacket, of course he should be coaching. But we are now into the second year of the regime, and the tone of behavior is set every day of the week with everything the team does.

These things add up. Like last year someone must have explained to CG the Yellow Jacket Alley. First game, I was shocked. He probably was too by the reaction that occurred over time. I'm talking about the get off the bus yapping, old, different colored t-shirts untucked etc. Contrast to our arch-rivals, Georgia, or Auburn, or Ole Miss, where the players either have uniform attire, suits, or at least keep a focused appearance while meeting their fans.

This slack attitude carried over to the sidelines last year, and even on the field - witness numerous "discipline" penalties for stupid stuff.

It does appear when stuff happens he makes some adjustments - except play calling - which I give him credit for. But he is "learning on the job" the college game, which the resume was touting not necessary. Indeed, his own words clearly stated that coming to Tech an inheriting the team he did he expected to keep winning - now we've changed tune to "rebuild"

Curry and O'Leary obviously had discipline with mixed results. But win or lose, and with Curry it was more lose than win, I always felt good pulling for them because they represented Tech, and you would never see the joking around.

I guess you have to go back to Pepper to find the real loose stuff, cause even though Ross and Lewis also had different results, I don't think discipline, appearance or behavior were in question.

Point is that discipline and preparation directly affect motivation, and this team is schizo, which means lack of consistency. For every NC State or Auburn there are the Georgia's and Clemson's and Fresno's.

I'll state my prediction now - there will be more of the latter than the former because the program has been digressing year over year.

But we are now into the second year of the regime, and the tone of behavior is set every day of the week with everything the team does.

These things add up.
This slack attitude carried over to the sidelines last year, and even on the field - witness numerous "discipline" penalties for stupid stuff.

Point is that discipline and preparation directly affect motivation, and this team is schizo, which means lack of consistency. For every NC State or Auburn there are the Georgia's and Clemson's and Fresno's.

[QB]QUOTE]

Very good points, Father WASP.
I did not start this post to bash Gailey and his discipline or his regime. I posted because I believe even the actions/attitude of a walk-on effect the team atmosphere/tone/direction. The guy does wear a jersey, whether he plays or not. He certainly must play in practices and his drive and dedication at practice does positively or negatively impacts other players/the team.

the jacket, do you just sit there all day aroused in front of stingtalk 24/7 hitting the refresh button with drool dripping down you mouth waiting to answer a post?

Originally posted by ShadyJacket:
the jacket, do you just sit there all day aroused in front of stingtalk 24/7 hitting the refresh button with drool dripping down you mouth waiting to answer a post?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I was wrong. There's no way a 13 or 14 year old would have that sort of immaturity.

The Jacket, of course he should be coaching. But we are now into the second year of the regime, and the tone of behavior is set every day of the week with everything the team does.

These things add up. Like last year someone must have explained to CG the Yellow Jacket Alley. First game, I was shocked. He probably was too by the reaction that occurred over time. I'm talking about the get off the bus yapping, old, different colored t-shirts untucked etc. Contrast to our arch-rivals, Georgia, or Auburn, or Ole Miss, where the players either have uniform attire, suits, or at least keep a focused appearance while meeting their fans.

It does appear when stuff happens he makes some adjustments - except play calling - which I give him credit for. But he is "learning on the job" the college game, which the resume was touting not necessary. Indeed, his own words clearly stated that coming to Tech an inheriting the team he did he expected to keep winning - now we've changed tune to "rebuild"

Curry and O'Leary obviously had discipline with mixed results. But win or lose, and with Curry it was more lose than win, I always felt good pulling for them because they represented Tech, and you would never see the joking around.

I guess you have to go back to Pepper to find the real loose stuff, cause even though Ross and Lewis also had different results, I don't think discipline, appearance or behavior were in question.

I'll state my prediction now - there will be more of the latter than the former because the program has been digressing year over year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with some of your points.

But there are some players that don't understand the importance of what's going on. I don't remember for sure, but I think deac or someone made the comment that he was not a 1st stringer (correct me if I'm wrong), and if this is so, then he is probably a younger player who is still learning the importance of these games and situations.

And as someone said earlier (sorry for not remembering the name), laughter is often and uncontrolable (sp?) thing.

"I'll state my prediction now - there will be more of the latter than the former because the program has been digressing year over year."--Father Wasp (or: Padre White Anglo Saxon Protestant)????? Jab, Jab
wink.gif

Belly brought in a very important point. People do express their emotions differently. I agree, Belly, even though in my mind, I would do everything to avoid any player under me smiling or laughing anywhere short of 3-7 points.

Our coaches have much on thier minds and are under pressure every moment of the game and in between. Evidently some extra-curric stuff "possibly" was going on.

If I were a coach and knew of this it would be one of the most embarassing situations that come occur......and if I knew it: I would take every step to see to it that it NEVER happened again. Every person from the water-boy to the star ought to be 100% in the game, and nothing less. The only exception would be a ultra light I&gt;Q&gt; person or one who would smile and laught at this mother's funeral.
Saying this, let me also appeal for a chance for our coaches to correct such situations and not immediately jump them for every minute situation that does not meet protocol.
The greatest thing needed at Georgia Tech right now is Undiluted Loyalty to the entire program. Gripe and complain if you must, but get out of the hatred for Chan zone. Give us the year without the constant magnifying glass mentality that some have.......every drag down of our coaches, drags down our boys/men, drags down G.T., etc.

God through the wisest of men said, "A house divided among itself cannot stand". If you truly love Georgia Tech, you will break down walls of division, fill gaps of discention, become as ONE body of people for the betterment of Tech. This does not mean no criticism nor complaints: it does mean that these emotions will crop us only to subside and then get ready 100% for the next foe, and all following foes. Heel nippers can go to the corner and sit for the remainder of the season: Georgia Tech does not need and will not profit from your snipping, yipping, and biting.

Originally posted by The Jacket:
Is it bad in your opinion for him to have or listen to assistants?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I know what you are getting at. Of course it isn't bad... it is doing his job. I gave him credit for that. I said don't lavish undue praises because he did something remarkable to win the game. What Reggie did on the field is remarkable.

In all sincerity, since I answered your questions, can you answer one for me?

Do you personally think Gailey had this team prepared and motivated for the Vandy game?

I am just curious as to what you think. I honestly would respect your answer whether I agree with you or not.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. You can't be focused chit chatting and jibber jabbering on the sideline and it's distracting to the rest of the team that's trying to focus. I wouldn't allow a waterboy on the sideline that wasn't totally focused on the game. Can't stay focused? Time for a new waterboy.

I doubt they should be removed from the team though because obviously no one has spoken with them about this. It is troubling though because whenever their is good team chemistry and focus the teammates usually address the situation and tell them to shut the heck up if a coach doesn't get to it first. I see a little discipline problem there.

The notion that they're just dealing with stress doesn't wash with me. That looks right on paper but they're are certain protocols in certain situations. You wouldn't get away with personalized behaviour in the military or church or even at some dinner tables so what gives with allowing it on the sideline. Do we see this on the bench in the Bball games?

Time to raise the bar!

Back