Lost ALL respect for Bill Curry this morning.

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
He's on Mike and Mike right now and he just flat out doesn't get it. When interviewed about Paterno he said "none of us are perfect and no one ever does the right thing 100 percent of the time". I agree with that. He then went on to say that no one can pass judgement on Paterno and no one should have an opinion unless you are or were a member on the PSU team. That's where he lost me. In fact, that comment pissed me off bad.

This isn't about the football team, its about someone's moral compass. While I agree with his thought process of "he who is without sin, cast the first stone" I don't agree that people should not be outraged at Paterno and Penn st. A man lost his job because he looked the other way in one of the most HEINOUS crimes ever. And he looked the other way repeatedly. It is not passing judgement on his life to want him out of the coaching position he holds.

Any person who is a father should have wanted Paterno canned and I have every right to hold that opinion. It has nothing to do with being in the trenches with Joe Pa that gives me a credible stance.

Get some ööööing perspective Curry.

I lost my respect for Paterno when he said pretty much the same thing about Tressel back in the Summer.

Often, people's opinions provide insight into their perspective and their own judgements. Coach Curry shares (and has shared) similar professional positions as Coach Paterno. His comments appear to indicate that HE is wrestling with his own judgement as to what he would do. Another indicator of a systemic issue of judgement in college coaching and leadership levels.

We, who "pay the freight" for college athletics should be aware that these conflicted opinions exist and ensure in the future that these issues of judgement are addressed.

I lost all respect for a bunch of people on this board when they said "I played in college and you didn't, so you wouldn't understand."

There's a whole lot of folks that aren't going to "get it" until the whole sordid mess is played out. But your right Curry needs to re-think that one.

Sorry to hear those comments coming from Curry. I think this whole mess has been mishandled from the get-go, and everybody is focusing on Paterno and Penn State, while the victims are an afterthought. That's VERY unfortunate.

Sorry to hear those comments coming from Curry. I think this whole mess has been mishandled from the get-go, and everybody is focusing on Paterno and Penn State, while the victims are an afterthought. That's VERY unfortunate.

Without Paterno and Penn State, there is no story. Kids are molested every day and it's not a story because it is (unfortunately) a relatively common occurrence.

Without Paterno and Penn State, there is no story. Kids are molested every day and it's not a story because it is (unfortunately) a relatively common occurrence.
very true, but it's stories like this can be an example for doing the right thing

Would defending Curry's opinion here make one a horrible person? I mean honestly, where does it stop? At the rate it's spreading we'll all be barricaded up in shopping malls clinging to our shotguns and trying to outlast the hordes of horrible people by this time tomorrow.

I can see it now, we're on our HAM radios like "I don't know if anyone can hear me on this, but I think I might be the last decent person in the state of Georgia. Please send help."

Please define common. I can't disagree more.

I appreciate the point that you seem to be making about all the abused kids who are never protected. This case is different.

Having a top-tier defensive coordinator molesting kids in the athletic facilities at a top-25 program over decades and having the coaches and AA handle it internally doesn't sound common.

(some of it happened when he was DC, some of it happened after he was retired).

There are maps showing where sex offenders live so you can make sure they're not close to a school, preschool, or church. Parents watch those sites. We had someone in our neighborhood who lived next to a school bus stop as a registered offender (he's been moved now). People get caught. People get prosecuted.

With Sandusky, there were multiple incidents, and nothing happened. How didn't he go to jail after the first time? How did the police not get involved in subsequent incidents. People protected him and kept this quiet.

If you're wondering how this stayed quiet for so long, just think about it. If you don't figure out the answer, think about it a little longer.

And think about when Paterno was asked to retire about 10 years ago and said he wouldn't. Beyond his popularity (which was at a low ebb then), what leverage did he have over the athletic association?

Curry should be ashamed of his remarks. I only hope his wife brings this up to him.

An estimated 1 in 7 people in North America have been victims of child sexual abuse. The estimates range around but that figure is right in the middle.

Last edited:
And think about when Paterno was asked to retire about 10 years ago and said he wouldn't. Beyond his popularity (which was at a low ebb then), what leverage did he have over the athletic association?

Their are enough real things wrong with this whole situation for you to need to speculate like that.

I haven't heard exactly what he said, but the only way to defend Paterno in this case IMO is to state very explicitly that all the facts aren't in.

Once the facts all come in, and we know with proof that he covered up a child rape, then crucify him. As it is, there's still grounds for dismissal if he knew about it and didn't follow up.

An estimated 1 in 7 people in North America have been victims of child abuse. The estimates range around but that figure is right in the middle.

"Child abuse" typically includes being spanked too hard.

Is your figure for sexual abuse?

Over 60,000 reported incidents of sexually abused children in 2006: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm05/chapterthree.htm

I appreciate the point that you seem to be making about all the abused kids who are never protected. This case is different.

This case is much different because of the actions (and lack of actions) of high profile adults involved in the case. However, the victims themselves are not much different than a lot of other child abuse victims: an authority figure in their lives gained their trust and then took advantage of them.

That's why the story focuses on the adults in the case rather than the victims. There are simply too many victims like this for people to really care about or be interested in them.

It's the same reason why the stories focus more on Paterno than Sandusky, even though Sandusky's crime was much, much worse than Paterno's lack of action. There is no shortage of scummy child molesters in America; however, there is only one Joe Paterno.

Back