MAC cancels fall football

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Why would what the B10 decides impact the other conferences? Every conference is in its own bubble in both schedule and protocols for a reason, to be independent of each other's decisions.

Skydog

Eat a Peach
Why would what the B10 decides impact the other conferences? Every conference is in its own bubble in both schedule and protocols for a reason, to be independent of each other's decisions.
Peer pressure maybe. Political pressure. Who the heck knows anymore.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I wouldn't be completely upset if some conferences play in the Fall and others in the Spring. You'd still have to figure out how you declare a national champion, or if a student can enroll in Spring then get an extra season of eligibility, but at least it would be 10 months of football.

mts315

Dodd-Like
Conferences playing in the spring would just make it more difficult to play in the following fall. The turn around would be too quick for players, IMHO.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Conferences playing in the spring would just make it more difficult to play in the following fall. The turn around would be too quick for players, IMHO.
Better for those conferences who play in the Fall, like the ACC.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
The horrendous leadership shown in this crisis from so many parts of society is mind boggling. As early as May/June Presidents and AD’s knew this crisis was real, that it was unpredictable, that serious health consequences to healthy young adults between 18 and 22 are rare, and that predictions of both dire gloom and bright optimism were not based on any reliable science. They should have made up their minds - play or don’t play. Athletes should have been given a clear message - come to campus, get ready and we will play, or, stay home, no season, and maybe we’ll play again some day. Kicking the can down the road, trying to make their money without risking lawsuits, wanting to make sure they all got media attention for their personal opinions and plans - it has been a disaster to watch.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
We have 4 professional sports leagues playing games, kids going back to school, and overall numbers look like they are flatlining, nothing in today's news should change the decision these conferences made just a week or so ago.
True, but there appears to be a concern about financial liability if a SA succumbs to the virus.

G776T

Not pastor material.
True, but there appears to be a concern about financial liability if a SA succumbs to the virus.
Thats what insurance is for, I can't imagine any lawyers honestly telling mgmt that covid liability could be anywhere near the standard football injury, or potential head injury liability

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Thats what insurance is for, I can't imagine any lawyers honestly telling mgmt that covid liability could be anywhere near the standard football injury, or potential head injury liability
What does a Covid insurance policy cost for a college football team?

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
The media loves to report every positive test of a football player on campus and in workouts. Call off the season, and then let’s see if the media reports every positive case of a player who is not playing or practicing. Young adults are testing positive with or without sports.

G776T

Not pastor material.
What does a Covid insurance policy cost for a college football team?
Not in the business as I know you aren't either, but tell me, if you were, where you would you put that policy as a percentage of the head trauma policy?

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Not in the business as I know you aren't either, but tell me, if you were, where you would you put that policy as a percentage of the head trauma policy?
I sincerely doubt either are individual policies and no policy is going to cover gross negligence. What that's considered is case law yet to be determined with coronavirus.

OldGold1968

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
CBS sports is reporting that it's pretty much a done deal on no college football. I said 2 weeks but think the hammer may come down this week.

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
The media loves to report every positive test of a football player on campus and in workouts. Call off the season, and then let’s see if the media reports every positive case of a player who is not playing or practicing. Young adults are testing positive with or without sports.
I would hazard a guess that players will be more likely to catch COVID without sports, provided the proper protocols are in place in their program. It’s about having that accountability with regard to masks, social distancing, etc.