Marshall following in Vad's footsteps

I agree with this. However, would it also be true that if you are talented, businesses will find you no matter where you went to school. I think both are true. I actually think it is more important to go to a school that showcases your football talent than your academic talent, because you have so much more time to prove yourself in a business career.
First impression is where you went to school.

So is he still with the team for the the bowl game or is he gone already?

Grades should be out now, did we lose anybody due to academics?

So is this Abdullah kid for JMU a senior? Because if he isn't, Marshall still may not get many snaps. This kid is a damn good back.

Thank heavens it's not UGA.

I feel like a snob thinking there's anything wrong with JMU -- different schools for different students, etc. -- but if he wasn't struggling academically here, then I really don't understand this.

Do student-athletes as prominent as him and as successful as him really make such major decisions on "lifestyle" grounds?

I feel like a snob thinking there's anything wrong with JMU -- different schools for different students, etc. -- but if he wasn't struggling academically here, then I really don't understand this.

Do student-athletes as prominent as him and as successful as him really make such major decisions on "lifestyle" grounds?

My experience with athletes is that many believe football is life and that their future life will revolve exclusively around football. This goes beyond the guys planning for the NFL - even those who have no NFL plans assume they'll be agents, run camps, coach high school, etc. In that world view, the advantages of a Tech degree are hard to see.

JMU is a decent regional school that has a lot of smart kids from the N. Va area..those who can't get into UVA and VT (which have become extremely competitive, on a par with UGA admissions). He'll do fine there..

Regional meaning Shenandoah Valley in this example. Correct?
It pulls in a lot of kids from the northeast as an affordable option to the overpriced lib arts schools up there. Y'all's ignorance of schools outside of your comfort zone makes you sound like a bunch of UVA snobs. Go drink some Zima.

JMU is a decent regional school that has a lot of smart kids from the N. Va area..those who can't get into UVA and VT (which have become extremely competitive, on a par with UGA admissions). He'll do fine there..
UGA is not "extremely competitive", unless you're an East Cobb Mom justifying why your kid went there.

It pulls in a lot of kids from the northeast as an affordable option to the overpriced lib arts schools up there. Y'all's ignorance of schools outside of your comfort zone makes you sound like a bunch of UVA snobs. Go drink some Zima.
Decent school, but to me it means he was in academic trouble. Maybe the right decision for him.

I saw earlier today that JMU knocked off five time champion North Dakota State in the playoffs. So that's neat.

UGA is not "extremely competitive", unless you're an East Cobb Mom justifying why your kid went there.
I heard just that very thing this past week. Was told by a dad that the kid is having a tougher time getting into UGA and can already get into GT.

It is simple, if you have 10k openings and 20k apply, it will be harder to get in. Regardless of the academics of the school or lack thereof in the case of UGAg. If you have 10k openings and 12k apply, your chances are better. Kids want to go to UGAg because it is the path of least resistance once in.

I heard just that very thing this past week. Was told by a dad that the kid is having a tougher time getting into UGA and can already get into GT.

It is simple, if you have 10k openings and 20k apply, it will be harder to get in. Regardless of the academics of the school or lack thereof in the case of UGAg. If you have 10k openings and 12k apply, your chances are better. Kids want to go to UGAg because it is the path of least resistance once in.

That's akin to their pumping up of the graduation rates. "Hey, 98% of our students actually graduate, so therefore the school is better than Tech!" For a group of people who claim that Tech isn't a rival, they sure like to count the ways they think they're better.

Most East Cobb moms don't necessarily have this view....more of a Kennesaw way of thinking.

What? GT has A 25% admission rate to uGA's 53%. GT has a 200 put higher sat score and a 10% higher unweighted GPA. There is no category where uGA is even on the same level as GT in admissions.

Was told by a dad that the kid is having a tougher time getting into UGA and can already get into GT.

I, too, am capable of lying to myself and others in order to make myself feel better about my life's shortcomings.

What? GT has A 25% admission rate to uGA's 53%. GT has a 200 put higher sat score and a 10% higher unweighted GPA. There is no category where uGA is even on the same level as GT in admissions.
I should also disclose that the dad is a UGAg grad and his kid may go to Tennessee.

Marcus has a good friend from our area that is at JMU, a starter at safety. I really think this is all about a perception on his part that he was not appreciated by the coaches at Tech. He and his family felt that he produced well on game day, but that the staff always had someone else they preferred to start at B-back. Was their perception accurate? Who knows. I wish him well at JMU and regret we miss one or two more years of him playing for us.

Back