Marshall named starter vs UNC

Everybody needs to STFU about the USF game. To imply that that loss was on TaQuon is idiotic.

Oliver was gassed (and said he needed to come out) when TQM came back in on the 3rd and 9 play in the 4th quarter. Marshall converted the 3rd down, and leads the drive down into the red zone. Then Qua fumbled on the 12 yard line. Replace that fumble with a TD and we're up 10 inside 7 minutes left.

Also remember that the next drive featured a holding penalty on 2nd and 10, I guess that was TQM's fault also. Obviously the interception on 3rd and 20 was bad, but there's no reason to think that 1) we convert that first down and 2) we stop them on the next drive after a punt.

It's not his fault we lost, but we have to mentally substitute the worst thing he did with the best thing he could've done in order to remove the blame from him? Twice?

There are better arguments than this.

This to me is the biggest differentiator between the two QBs. TQM goes down on first contact. TO goes down after after making a couple guys miss in the backfield and dragging the gang tackle a few more yards.

I worry about the sustainability of that. While Tobias was awesome against VT (and USF), it isn't a great idea for him to have 40 carries in a game.

Other ACC teams automatically mean awesome. So beating ACC teams is always a quality win and should increase ranking and losing to an ACC team is a quality loss and should increase ranking. So if we win our OOC games, we should automatically be in the playoffs.

I would like to see most of the Coastal division and some of the Atlantic division ranked in the top 20 preseason where they should be. If most of our wins and all of our losses are against ranked opponents, we should be in good shape, status wise, by the end of the season.

Other ACC teams automatically mean awesome. So beating ACC teams is always a quality win and should increase ranking and losing to an ACC team is a quality loss and should increase ranking. So if we win our OOC games, we should automatically be in the playoffs.
I think you're forgetting how beat up we get with all those ACC games. Plus the mental strain of preparing for future ACC games. Winning the OOC games should be optional, as well, imho.

I think you're forgetting how beat up we get with all those ACC games. Plus the mental strain of preparing for future ACC games. Winning the OOC games should be optional, as well, imho.

Good points. The ACC schedule is a meat grinder. It certainly affects the bowl games and OOC games where we’re playing teams that didn’t have to run through the gauntlet of the ACC.

Everybody needs to STFU about the USF game. To imply that that loss was on TaQuon is idiotic.

Oliver was gassed (and said he needed to come out) when TQM came back in on the 3rd and 9 play in the 4th quarter. Marshall converted the 3rd down, and leads the drive down into the red zone. Then Qua fumbled on the 12 yard line. Replace that fumble with a TD and we're up 10 inside 7 minutes left.

Also remember that the next drive featured a holding penalty on 2nd and 10, I guess that was TQM's fault also. Obviously the interception on 3rd and 20 was bad, but there's no reason to think that 1) we convert that first down and 2) we stop them on the next drive after a punt.

If TO didn't lead the 3 straight TDs coming out of half all that talk about a fumble wouldn't have mattered as we wouldn't have been in the game IMO. Before TO entered the game we had 4 straight possessions with no points. Once he came out, back to not scoring again.

CPJ is talking more about the TQM's execution of the offense regardless of the opponent, as in no fumbles, no missed reads, no interceptions, etc. We probably could have run the rocket toss back and forth on them and gotten the same result, but TQM executed the plays called, and made the calls to put the offense in good situations.

I'm sure he executed well. So has everyone else in college football against Louisville and Bowling Green. All 3 QBs on our roster would have handily beaten both of these teams. The fact is TM wasn't very good against USF, Pitt, or Duke. He's being forced into a position he's not going to excel at a high enough level to have success. PJ stated in that press conference that going into the season everyone would have thought TM was one of our best players. He's right I think TM could be one of our best players, but it's not at QB.

He's right I think TM could be one of our best players, but it's not at QB.
Honest question. If Marshall is one of our best players, but not at QB, what do you think Oliver provides AT QB that Marshall doesn't? Marshall has a better grasp of the playbook, is clearly MUCH more comfortable pitching the ball, and has experience as a starter in big games. I get that Marshall is a RB playing QB, but have we seen anything to indicate that Oliver isn't the same, if not even more so?

Honest question. If Marshall is one of our best players, but not at QB, what do you think Oliver provides AT QB that Marshall doesn't? Marshall has a better grasp of the playbook, is clearly MUCH more comfortable pitching the ball, and has experience as a starter in big games. I get that Marshall is a RB playing QB, but have we seen anything to indicate that Oliver isn't the same, if not even more so?

I think he's a much stronger runner that gets north and south quickly which in turn reduces the plays where we lose or gain minimum yardage. With the lack of talent on the edges and quite frankly a challenge for the offense in general, we are at our best when we consistently get that 3 & 4 yards per play (especially on 1st down). I really don't care how much grasp of the playbook TM knows. What has that provided us? How many times has PJ talked about "simplifying so the D can better execute and play fast without thinking". Maybe he needs to check his offense? I'm not sure I'm convinced TM is more comfortable pitching. That's been largely a complaint from most everyone that TM never pitches. Just go back and look through the game day threads. He holds the ball a lot as well. To be honest, I'm not sure TO will be the QB next year. Lucas or Graham may very well beat him out. However, what I do know is regardless of the complexity or lack there of, we move the ball and score more frequently when TO is behind center and he's shown that in several games. I have seen nothing that tells me he can't throw the ball as well as TM. It's like I've stated before, until he shows that he's in over his head let TO take the snaps. Up to this point that hasn't been the case, it's actually been the direct opposite. He's been poised and has delivered.

TO pitches the rocket toss considerably better than TM. Having the rocket toss as a viable part of the offense opens up the counter off the rocket as well as the passing game of the fake toss. TO runs the qb follow much better.

TM appears to run the base 3o better. Although he would be better if he pitched more often.

TO seems to have fewer plays in his grasp. CPJ said as much after the usf game.

I don’t really care who is under center so long as we steamroll unc.

When Vad Lee was a freshman "everyone" wanted him to be the starter after the UNC game, but CPJ kept playing TW. The next season when VL played full time, we wished TW had eligibility left. I'm going to trust the guy who has seen EVERY snap of practice and watched EVERY game no telling how many times on film to make the call.

... but both QBs will play. This seems fair. Put TQM on a short leash though.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ckets-qb-taquon-marshall-start-north-carolina
I'm not totally butthurt by this. I do think TQM can run the simplified TO offense ('junior high offense'), and I think we should come out trying to do just that. I think TO is a better runner for that style though, he just swings a bigger hammer. If UNC is as pliable as VT, we'll have an easy afternoon and both QB's can probably carry the ball 15-20 times each.

If UNC has game planned based on VT and has some success early, CPJ can make adjustments using the full playbook with TQM.

If after all that it still doesn't work, then we can run the jr. high offense with TO under center and be able to judge how much bigger his hammer is than TQM.

When Vad Lee was a freshman "everyone" wanted him to be the starter after the UNC game, but CPJ kept playing TW. The next season when VL played full time, we wished TW had eligibility left. I'm going to trust the guy who has seen EVERY snap of practice and watched EVERY game no telling how many times on film to make the call.
In 2012 Tevin went 7-7, got blown out by BYU and UGA and lost to Middle Tennessee at home. If Vad had played he probably wouldn;t have done much worse and he would have had experience for the next year.

Similarly, if we're gonna lose games, I'd rather the guy that's going to gain experience for next year be the guy.

That said, Paul still decides who gives the best chance for us to win but he has to decide if its only going from 10% chance of winning to say, 15% chance of winning.

I don't recall feeling that way to be honest. I do recall Vad beating Duke on the road and he was having success passing. Next week, scraped that game plan and back to trying to fit square in round hole.

Nobody wanted TW back that I can remember. Dont forget VL started off like a bat out of hell too. He just had a bad game and then CPJ immediately scrapped the shotgun and put him under center which was not his forte nor his desire.

In 2012 Tevin went 7-7, got blown out by BYU and UGA and lost to Middle Tennessee at home. If Vad had played he probably wouldn;t have done much worse and he would have had experience for the next year.
Or he would have transferred a year earlier.

CPJ is as stubborn as Nick Saban was last year. Only Nick finally figured out the errors of his ways. This is frustrating for sure. Oliver deserves to start at this point. Even Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder can see it.

Back