Mason is a beast

johncu

Dodd-Like
He is great for us, but I don't know if he has enough speed.
Check out these notable 40 times from their respective combines:

Le'Veon Bell: 4.60
Devonta Freeman: 4.58
Mark Ingram: 4.66

I'm sure there are others, but those are just a few I know of that did not post impressive times. I would think Mason could run at least a 4.60.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
I think he has just the right amount of speed. What difference does it make if he runs a 4.45 or 4.65. He can make people miss, and he gains positive yards. If the added benefit of catching the ball out of the back field comes to fruition, then good for us and bad for the other guys.

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
The dude is a slick back no doubt.He can juke with the best and has a burst.Not top end speed but ok.Ironically reminds me a bit of his coach--Choice.btw--it seems I remember him catching a bunch of passes in his hi school tape. SWEET!

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
Does he remind anyone of tashard choice? I don't remember the deuce being real fast but he had Great Cuts and could run inside with Great Cuts and vision, tough?

05GTCorndog

Staff member
Check out these notable 40 times from their respective combines:

Le'Veon Bell: 4.60
Devonta Freeman: 4.58
Mark Ingram: 4.66

I'm sure there are others, but those are just a few I know of that did not post impressive times. I would think Mason could run at least a 4.60.
He is a helluva player but 4.60 RB don't go at the top of the draft. IIWII. Here are the 40 times of the top 3RBs over the past 5 drafts.

- Josh Jacobs 4.52
- Miles Sanders (2nd round) 4.49
- Darrell Henderson (3rd round) 4.49

- Saquon Barkley 4.40
- Sony Michel 4.54
- Rashaad Penny 4.46

- Leonard Fournette 4.51
- Christian McCaffrey 4.48
- Dalvin Cook 4.49

- Ezekiel Elliot 4.47
- Derrick Henry 4.54 (2nd)
- Kenyan Drake 4.45 (3rd)

- Todd Gurley 4.5
- Melvin Gordon 4.52
- TJ Yeldon (2nd) 4.52

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
Amazing what the month or two of training before the combine will do for a guy's 40. No reason to worry about what his 40 is right now as a Soph.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
I just watched some of the replays of Mason’s runs. I really like the split two back set from shotgun. It’s reminiscent of the option, but there is no pre-snap motion and the defense cable cannot flow play side as the play develops. It got some really good inside runs.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
I just watched some of the replays of Mason’s runs. I really like the split two back set from shotgun. It’s reminiscent of the option, but there is no pre-snap motion and the defense cable cannot flow play side as the play develops. It got some really good inside runs.
I've also noticed we've been highly productive in the two-back sets. We are developing some sense of identity and I think the play calling has been quality lately.

theDude47

Dodd-Like
Does he remind anyone of tashard choice? I don't remember the deuce being real fast but he had Great Cuts and could run inside with Great Cuts and vision, tough?
Choice had way better vision. I don’t think Mason is currently anywhere near that right now. He might get there with more experience though. Guess we’ll see.

OldGold1968

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Something to think about is Herschel & Bo were in the sub 4.3 range and they were 225lbs.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Choice had way better vision. I don’t think Mason is currently anywhere near that right now. He might get there with more experience though. Guess we’ll see.
Choice only rushed for 513 yards at 4.4 ypc as a sophomore. He jumped up to 1473 yds as a JR and 1379 as a SR. JPM is already great and has a lot of room to improve.

Ish

Dodd-Like
Seems like Mason has good vision to me