Miss the option?

Miss the option?

• No

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 50.9%

• Total voters
What analogy would you use to explain the magnitude of the transition to your grandchildren?
I would probably tell my little junior jackets that this transition would be akin to man first utilizing fire as a tool as football without the forward pass is barbaric in nature.

If you think my posts are swingers then you're even more angry than I thought. Good luck to you.

If you think mine and others' posts are "pissing on the accomplishments of the players", then yes, you're a-swingin'.

It's amusing that busting hard on CGC's team and pissing on his players is fine but OMG, don't criticize St. PJ!!!

You guys are a bunch of hypocrites.

If you think mine and others' posts are "pissing on the accomplishments of the players", then yes, you're a-swingin'.

It's amusing that busting hard on CGC's team and pissing on his players is fine but OMG, don't criticize St. PJ!!!

You guys are a bunch of hypocrites.
Who again calls our players dogshit and rides them as being unworthy of an FBS level program?

This is important to understand, otherwise you draw the wrong conclusion that the option can't work in modern college football.

Given all of the blocking rule changes (and many I think were driven by people playing against GT) that occurred, I don't think that PJ's version of the option can work in modern college football anymore. I think part of the reason Navy and other traditional option teams are struggling more now is because it's a lot harder to block effectively now. The game has been neutered to the point that it's hard to have a schematic advantage if you don't have athletically equal or superior players. Which makes sense for the haves in the world and makes life harder for the have nots.

Given all of the blocking rule changes (and many I think were driven by people playing against GT) that occurred, I don't think that PJ's version of the option can work in modern college football anymore. I think part of the reason Navy and other traditional option teams are struggling more now is because it's a lot harder to block effectively now. The game has been neutered to the point that it's hard to have a schematic advantage if you don't have athletically equal or superior players. Which makes sense for the haves in the world and makes life harder for the have nots.

The run changes didn’t help, but they weren’t end of times bad. Most of our troubles in 17/18 were due to TM limited passing and honestly, trouble running the option.

Army is doing fine. Florida and Tulane are option teams in fact if not in name. So is Louisville.

Our biggest problem was a coach who was not a great recruiter coupled with a horrendous AD. We recruited better under DRad and TStan because they put money into recruiting.

It is a shame. I don’t see any P5 schools attempting the switch. And several could benefit by being different.

I appreciate CPJ not leaving us holding the bag with some huge buyout. Nice clean exit financially speaking.
The aforementioned AD issue cannot be overstated.
He was at GT a long time, was ready to retire, fans ready for a change, good for everyone. Life goes on.

Muffed pitch by Ohio at the goal line and Roddy commentating. Perfect

The run changes didn’t help, but they weren’t end of times bad. Most of our troubles in 17/18 were due to TM limited passing and honestly, trouble running the option.

Army is doing fine. Florida and Tulane are option teams in fact if not in name. So is Louisville.

Our biggest problem was a coach who was not a great recruiter coupled with a horrendous AD. We recruited better under DRad and TStan because they put money into recruiting.

It is a shame. I don’t see any P5 schools attempting the switch. And several could benefit by being different.
I don't mean to say that option based plays or even option play heavy teams aren't viable in college football. Heck Clemson is an "option" team as often as they run RPOs and other option plays. But specifically the "triple option as the base play" where most of the other plays are taking advantage of a defense cheating on that main play, is very difficult to execute consistently under the current rules. That is also not to say that the rules changes are why PJ ultimately failed.

Back