Miss the option?

Miss the option?

• No

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 50.9%

• Total voters
CGC may be a coaching moron but he's already showed that recruiting quality players to GT isn't the impossibility that PJ made it out to be. PJ's antique scheme made it impossible.

Our problem under Johnson was mostly the defense. It wasn't the scheme that made recruiting defensive players hard. It is simply that Johnson and his staff weren't great recruiters. They knew how important it was and they tried but they just weren't good at it. Compare the salespersonship of Collins and his staff versus Johnson's. It's night and day. You never saw Paul Johnson wearing ATL t-shirts and talking about how Atlanta and Georgia Tech were basically the greatest places in the country.

So I think a lot of fans correctly identify the failing of Johnson (recruiting) but don't correctly identify the cause (being mediocre at recruiting). It is a more parsimonious explanation than "defensive recruits didn't want to go against the triple option in practice because it'd hurt their NFL chances" or whatever, We have no evidence defensive players ever chose against us because of that, but the evidence that Collins & staff are better recruiters is apparent.

This is important to understand, otherwise you draw the wrong conclusion that the option can't work in modern college football.

Crap we erasing the “Done-in” years 1998-2000 as somehow being unworthy of a real official mutt beat down because their teams sucked those years?
Their teams didn't suck. Problem for the mutts was Florida and Tennessee didn't suck.

Crap we erasing the “Done-in” years 1998-2000 as somehow being unworthy of a real official mutt beat down because their teams sucked those years?

Jim Donnan is legitimately in the college hall of fame as a coach. So according to a certain poster on this board he should be absolutely deified.

Jim Donnan is legitimately in the college hall of fame as a coach. So according to a certain poster on this board he should be absolutely deified.
When we won 3 IAR against them, we were in the company of Florida. They are the only other team playing UGAg to win in each of those three years. Hell of an accomplishment, especially since, back then, Florida and Tennessee were the dominant teams in the east. Plus, keep in mind, Tennessee won the national title in 1998. Florida just couldn't get past FSU in any of those years.

When we won 3 IAR against them, we were in the company of Florida. They are the only other team playing UGAg to win in each of those three years. Hell of an accomplishment, especially since, back then, Florida and Tennessee were the dominant teams in the east. Plus, keep in mind, Tennessee won the national title in 1998. Florida just couldn't get past FSU in any of those years.

I don’t disagree. The 02-05, 07, 12, and 17-21 uga teams are obviously better than 97-00.

06, 09, 10, 13, 15 are all significantly worse. Going 0-5 these years was unacceptable. These were our golden chances. Probably won’t see uga teams this bad for awhile.

08, 14 we’re probably in the same neighborhood. Hard to tell because 08 beat no one of relevance.

We beat a 4 loss UVA team in 1990. We also only won '90 by a single vote in the UPI. Tom Osborne only voted for us because of the NU/CU rivalry.

Proof positive someone should Orson Charles our crystal football but never replace it.

Bobby Dodd beat up on teams who were white and slow. Once blacks were finally considered human beings and allowed to play, he sucked.

Good bye, 1952.

Tech doesn't win the Rose Bowl, if Roy Riegles actually understood the rules of football.

Also, by the accepted methodology used at the time, USC is the true national champion.

1928 is fake news.

Congrats, John. You beat up on kids who never picked up a football, while the other the team's varsity were stuck in the trenches in Europe.

1917 is pure shame.

In 1997, the year we finished #25 in the AP, we beat 3 teams with winning records one of which was a 7-5 Clemson team.

Hey maybe the Swarm forum is a little more your speed if you can't take a little criticism. Lord knows you like to dish it out.
I will gladly dish it out to anyone who tries to take a dump on Tech's accomplishments. And taking criticism for what? I'm a Tech fan, and I don't wrap my alleigance as such to who the head coach is like you ööööing idiots.

Oh and we beat only 1 team with a winning record in '99. It salvaged the season by being UGA, at least.

I had no idea he was in the HOF. Sorry group of voters. What do you call those people, low information voters? Or were they the “everybody gets a trophy” types? Either way they voted for an imbecile mutt coach.

I don’t disagree. The 02-05, 07, 12, and 17-21 uga teams are obviously better than 97-00.

06, 09, 10, 13, 15 are all significantly worse. Going 0-5 these years was unacceptable. These were our golden chances. Probably won’t see uga teams this bad for awhile.

08, 14 we’re probably in the same neighborhood. Hard to tell because 08 beat no one of relevance.
I'm more upset we didn't kick them when they were down after 1990. We had an opportunity to turn the series and recruiting in this state White and Gold and yet when they became mediocre, we just tripped on our dicks and let them recover

I will gladly dish it out to anyone who tries to take a dump on Tech's accomplishments. And taking criticism for what? I'm a Tech fan, and I don't wrap my alleigance as such to who the head coach is like you ööööing idiots.

Oh and we beat only 1 team with a winning record in '99. It salvaged the season by being UGA, at least.
CPJ did give us a lot of accomplishments. But as with everything in life there are two sides to a coin. If and when I have the grandchildren sitting around the tailgate in fall and they ask me about Paul Johnson I will first start with the accomplishments, mainly how orange bowls seemed to rain from the sky. But then I'd tell them that it wasn't always perfect on the flats if you want the whole story. As much as all the jacket fans appreciated coach Johnson there seemed to be up and down years. Also the fairy tale and honey moon years of the beginning of coach Johnson's stint would be hard to replicated especially with the type of player coach Johnson could recruit. To be honest I'd tell the little fellows that the last years and the turnover to a new regime (the dark ages) would be pretty rough, especially as we'd try the greatest transition in the history of time and sports.

CPJ did give us a lot of accomplishments. But as with everything in life there are two sides to a coin. If and when I have the grandchildren sitting around the tailgate in fall and they ask me about Paul Johnson I will first start with the accomplishments, mainly how orange bowls seemed to rain from the sky. But then I'd tell them that it wasn't always perfect on the flats if you want the whole story. As much as all the jacket fans appreciated coach Johnson there seemed to be up and down years. Also the fairy tale and honey moon years of the beginning of coach Johnson's stint would be hard to replicated especially with the type of player coach Johnson could recruit. To be honest I'd tell the little fellows that the last years and the turnover to a new regime (the dark ages) would be pretty rough, especially as we'd try the greatest transition in the history of time and sports.
What analogy would you use to explain the magnitude of the transition to your grandchildren?

Back