Monken is not PJ lite, and the 3O should stay.

You can’t honestly believe this...he took a team that was previously not in the playoffs at GSU and went to the semifinals and it wasn’t just offensive improvement. He took Army to the top 25 and allowed only 28 against oklahoma. You are just anti-option. Just ööööing admit it and stop pussy footing around it. It’s ok. It’s just dumb.

Nothing he said here was untrue.

@BainbridgeJacket : "Ultimately, our failings have been in recruiting, player development, talent evaluation, game preparation, and maintaining enthusiasm in the program."

You can't honestly believe otherwise. Everything in that sentence is correct.

You can’t honestly believe this...he took a team that was previously not in the playoffs at GSU and went to the semifinals and it wasn’t just offensive improvement. He took Army to the top 25 and allowed only 28 against oklahoma. You are just anti-option. Just ööööing admit it and stop pussy footing around it. It’s ok. It’s just dumb.
They also gave up 34 to Duke. I don't judge a coach's entirety off the results of one game, though, so I'm not too impressed by a fluke game where they kind of maybe almost gave a challenge to a top 5 team. CPJ did more than just take GSU to the semi-finals and almost beat Notre Dame. You're acting like a damn baby with all these option or else crybaby posts. Grow a pair.

Remember when Chan got that outlier recruiting class? Now imagine the class 15 spots higher, consistently for the next five years. That is when we will be on a 50/50 playing field against Clemson and UGA if we want to play their game.

(a) I'm fine with Monken or without, with a CPJ disciple or not.
(b) Dodd was not a famous offensive coach. He was a famous defensive coach. He won a lot of games scoring very little. We've had lots of better offenses since he retired. But very few better teams. If you want to talk about GT's best offensive coach of the past, take a look at Heisman's numbers. But back then you only had to take pre-cal, of course.

If Monken could take us through to a different offense then he could be the guy.

We are going to stink for four years if we totally drop the option. It will take at least two years to get average offensive tackles in place.

Rewatched the 2008 Miami game for giggles... surprisingly how many passes were in the game. I was rubbing my eyes. So triple + a good dose of throws can win. But we already knew that.

The other reason about transitioning instead of dropping the TO is we have a good line for next year with what may be our best group of qbs ever.

If Monken could take us through to a different offense then he could be the guy.

We are going to stink for four years if we totally drop the option. It will take at least two years to get average offensive tackles in place.

I dunno - remember that we should also be canning Sewak and getting a by-god real OL Coach in place.

Also, we didn't do a great job already with that ankle-diving, fish-flopping crap that Sewak taught. I won't be surprised if the current OL takes adapts quickly to a new OL coach who'll teach how to pass-block and not ankle-dive so goddamn much.

I’m not completely opposed to going more 3O, but the dick riding going on for Monken is naive. You’re not being honest on both sides about their success. Nobody on Army’s schedule is spending offseason time, parts of their practice the entire season, taking bye weeks before playing Army, and even scheduling other teams like Army in order to beat Army. They’re an independent team that is low on everyone’s radar and they’ve benefitted from it. GT will NOT get that luxury, the last 11 years has shown this to be the case.

We’d probably have some pretty good highs and lows with Monken, similar to PJ, but let’s call it for what it is. Are we in a state where we feel games with Clemson and ugag are 50/50? Would we feel like this would change with Monken? Convince me of that and I’d be more on board.

I dunno - remember that we should also be canning Sewak and getting a by-god real OL Coach in place.

Also, we didn't do a great job already with that ankle-diving, fish-flopping crap that Sewak taught. I won't be surprised if the current OL takes adapts quickly to a new OL coach who'll teach how to pass-block and not ankle-dive so goddamn much.
As I mentioned before the Ravens are running the TO but it includes normal blocking techniques. Maybe OL and defensive recruits would find that less annoying?

They also gave up 34 to Duke. I don't judge a coach's entirety off the results of one game, though, so I'm not too impressed by a fluke game where they kind of maybe almost gave a challenge to a top 5 team. CPJ did more than just take GSU to the semi-finals and almost beat Notre Dame. You're acting like a damn baby with all these option or else crybaby posts. Grow a pair.
I’m not acting like a crybaby because of Monken or else I’m acting like everyone has gone irrational with their opposition to the option. Read your own post again, “I have seen nothing in his history that suggests that he is good for defense and special teams.” That is completely idiotic. Every team he has gone to has improved its defense and special teams. There is nothing in his history to support what you said. It’s like Catholics who leave the Church because they want to be on birth control but blame it on The Catholic position on the Immacate Coneption. Everyone has gone crazy.

I’ve stated that I’m ok with Satterfield and Elliot if he comes as an OC under an experienced HC for a few years. You are the one taking an extreme position.

I’m not completely opposed to going more 3O, but the dick riding going on for Monken is naive. You’re not being honest on both sides about their success. Nobody on Army’s schedule is spending offseason time, parts of their practice the entire season, taking bye weeks before playing Army, and even scheduling other teams like Army in order to beat Army. They’re an independent team that is low on everyone’s radar and they’ve benefitted from it. GT will NOT get that luxury, the last 11 years has shown this to be the case.

We’d probably have some pretty good highs and lows with Monken, similar to PJ, but let’s call it for what it is. Are we in a state where we feel games with Clemson and ugag are 50/50? Would we feel like this would change with Monken? Convince me of that and I’d be more on board.
We have never been 50/50 with UGA since World War II. Clemson is now at that level as well. We should expect 33/66 and be thrilled with 50/50.

Agree 100% with the sentiment of this post. We had a lot of problems at the end of CPJ's tenure, but the offensive scheme was not one of them. Just because Monken runs the same offense as Johnson doesn't mean he would have the same issues with defense, special teams, and recruiting. The offense is what allowed us to win a bunch of big games despite having all of those other problems. Doesn't it seem really dumb to pinpoint THAT as the one thing we want to avoid?
Well said. I hope Monken doesn’t get rejected because he runs the 3O. At the same time, I hope he doesn’t get any additional points because he runs the 3O.

Running the 3O should have absolutely no influence on the decision. The decision should be based on whether a coach has the ability to run a good program. If Monken becomes our next HC it should be because he was able to turn around an otherwise unsuccessful program, irrespective of whether he comes to Tech and runs the 3O Zoe decides he wants to run a 100% passing offense here.

We are hiring a head coach here. Not an OC.

All that being said, I think Monken would be an idiot to accept a head coaching gig here at Tech.

He will have an unnecessarily short leash because of all the people who are gonna be pissed that we got another 3O coach.

I think Tech should pursue him (based on him turning around a program, and not based on running the 3O), but if I were him there is no way I would accept the job.

Maybe after we hire Whisenhunt and he is a huge failure would Monken accept our offer.

All that being said, I think Monken would be an idiot to accept a head coaching gig here at Tech.

He will have an unnecessarily short leash because of all the people who are gonna be pissed that we got another 3O coach.

I think Tech should pursue him (based on him turning around a program, and not based on running the 3O), but if I were him there is no way I would accept the job.

Maybe after we hire Whisenhunt and he is a huge failure would Monken accept our offer.

I certainly see why that'd be points against taking the job, but 3+ million a year is a lot of change. I could possibly bank up a healthy lifestyle before they canned me for their rage, and would definitely do it, but that's just me.

I think this 3O vs. "option" discussion is much like the "illegal immigrant" vs. "immigrant" discussion. They are not the same thing.

Nothing he said here was untrue.

@BainbridgeJacket : "Ultimately, our failings have been in recruiting, player development, talent evaluation, game preparation, and maintaining enthusiasm in the program."

You can't honestly believe otherwise. Everything in that sentence is correct.
Right. Recruiting has not been good. But CPJ fought with MBob for more recruiting staff for years and never got it. It took until TStan before we could hire 4 staffers. Other teams were already in the 10 to 20. That puts us years behind our competitors. So we can say recruiting was bad under Johnson, but it seems pretty silly to blame it all on him when he had a piece of öööö AD unwilling to give us a competitive recruiting staff.

Back