Monken Poll

Would a Monken hire be acceptable to you?

• Yes

Votes: 151 59.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why Monken and not Niumatalolo?

Navy's schedule is a lot tougher than Army's, and Niumatalolo has been there for a while.

It is debatable whether Paul Johnson was the best to do it. Being the first doesn't make you the best. He was definitely good at it; but someone using the TO as a base offense and adding a few wrinkles can be better.

Yeah I never understood this argument. It's not like the guy who first came up with the idea of the forward pass would be the best offensive coordinator today. Schemes grow and evolve. If you look at Army's formations they are running a lot of option plays out of a shotgun flexbone formation. I think this is a great formation for a 3rd down because it puts the QB in good position to throw while also allows us to run bread and butter option. All that said, I'd like to see us run a bit more balance than what we have been doing. I.e. not necessarily 2 throws a game. I'd like it if we were doing more 08-09. I haven't seen us run the quick out pass to the WR in years. That used to be a guaranteed 5 yards with Baybay.

It's just Paul was the best to do it, so why downgrade? Just my opinion, but I also believe it's down to two people and thats Tony Elliott and Scott Satterfield that we are going to go after.

CPJ certainly was good at it, but I don't know if in his current state of mind he's really the at apex of the pyramid anymore. Our playcalling lately has been questionable with pretty high frequency, as coach himself admitted in several postgame pressers. If his head isn't in it, he's probably not a clear upgrade over his proteges.

More concerning to me about CPJ is the recent blocking rule changes, which seem to have been called very poorly at times and look like they are really getting under his skin. Have to wonder if CPJ's brand of the offense is on it's way out of the rulebook and one of his proteges would be willing to adapt to the new world. I do know this, though, anybody who wants more passing would be sorely disappointed with Monken. It feels like there is nobody in CFB passing less than Army right now, by miles.

Monken never missed the semifinals in FCS and beat Florida while transitioning to FBS with GaSo. People just forget about his stint there.

Monken never missed the semifinals in FCS and beat Florida while transitioning to FBS with GaSo. People just forget about his stint there.
That's a fair point. I had forgotten about it.

Easy to get caught up in the "what have you done lately" :)

Just seems like a lateral move.
Not really. Monken has probably already reached his ceiling at Army by beating Navy two years in a row(going on three), winning the Commander in Chief's trophy twice and winning a bowl game. There's not much more you can do at West Point other than that. If you want to compete for conference championships, major bowl games, and possibly more, Monken will make the same decision that CPJ made.

Not really. Monken has probably already reached his ceiling at Army by beating Navy two years in a row(going on three), winning the Commander in Chief's trophy twice and winning a bowl game. There's not much more you can do at West Point other than that. If you want to compete for conference championships, major bowl games, and possibly more, Monken will make the same decision that CPJ made.

I think he meant for us? Not sure.

Yeah I never understood this argument. It's not like the guy who first came up with the idea of the forward pass would be the best offensive coordinator today. Schemes grow and evolve. If you look at Army's formations they are running a lot of option plays out of a shotgun flexbone formation. I think this is a great formation for a 3rd down because it puts the QB in good position to throw while also allows us to run bread and butter option. All that said, I'd like to see us run a bit more balance than what we have been doing. I.e. not necessarily 2 throws a game. I'd like it if we were doing more 08-09. I haven't seen us run the quick out pass to the WR in years. That used to be a guaranteed 5 yards with Baybay.
The other thing to think about- Would Jeff be able to recruit as good as Paul?

For us I mean.

I could probably be talked into it, but I hope we don't just zero in on him from the start.

This is my position as well. I want to see us try for hot name coaches before we settle on someone that wouldn't even be on the radar of most P5 schools.

I’m excited to keep the option (it’s a proud part of our identity currently), but I’m not sure Monken is the guy. Anyone know anything about his recruiting skills? What’s his general personality? It’d be nice to combine the option with a small bump in recruiting.

The opposite side of the equation is: Which coaches will want to come to GT? The job is a great opportunity for a younger guy from the CPJ coaching tree. But only a less-established coach without other opportunities is going to view Tech as a great place to go. We would have to pay up to recruit an established, low-risk candidate with a traditional offense, but the TO coaches have a narrower range of opportunities, so Tech is the best job out there.

I think a lot of people are assuming Monken = more of the same. I don't why that has to be true. He's not the same person. He just runs an offense that is very similar. Just because CPJ never adapted much doesn't mean Monken can't/won't. I'm sure that is one of the first things Stansbury would ask him.

Why Monken and not Niumatalolo?

Navy's schedule is a lot tougher than Army's, and Niumatalolo has been there for a while.
Already coached at GT and GA Southern.

What if we hired Monken as HC and somehow got a big deal for Tony Elliot as OC...?

Back