Monken Poll

Would a Monken hire be acceptable to you?

• Yes

Votes: 151 59.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Y'all are unbelievably naive if you think that Tech's STEM curriculum doesn't weed out a huge percentage of potential recruits, some because Tech won't let them in but a lot more because they don't want to do the work. I teach HS pre-engineering courses and I just had one of my 4 year pre-engineering students who was recruited by Tech (no offer - he's not really an FBS athlete) tell me last year that he didn't want to go to GT because it would be too hard for him. He could handle it if he wanted to, but he didn't have that drive. OTOH, many of my non-engineering, non-honors students have to use a calculator to do things like double digit addition or subtraction. They don't know how to solve for X, they don't know what the pythagorean theorem is, most understand percentages but will struggle to calculate them, and some can't even calculate the average of a set of data points. It's not just my school - we're above average for the state. Y'all really think that is Georgia Tech material? Because that is the average D1 football recruit.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Monken if he is personal and gets marketing a bit, can recruit, wants to recruit and has proven he will recruit. And if he has friends who want to recruit, I'd be fine with him. He seems like a very good coach.

If donors are negotiating a type of offense, we are probably in trouble however.

I have no problem with Monken if he is personal and gets marketing a bit, can recruit, wants to recruit and has proven he will recruit. And if he has friends who want to recruit, I'd be fine with him. He seems like a very good coach.

It looks like he's got the boats and hos part of recruiting down pretty well.

https://deadspin.com/report-army-plied-football-recruits-with-alcohol-wome-1650769745/amp

More seriously, here's a longish article that lays out how extensive Army's recruiting network has been since Monken took over. I don't know if he has the charisma necessary to be a good recruiter, but this article looks like he knows how to set up a good recruiting process.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...vs-navy-football-game-2016-streak-jeff-monken

Y'all are unbelievably naive if you think that Tech's STEM curriculum doesn't weed out a huge percentage of potential recruits, some because Tech won't let them in but a lot more because they don't want to do the work. I teach HS pre-engineering courses and I just had one of my 4 year pre-engineering students who was recruited by Tech (no offer - he's not really a D1 athlete) tell me last year that he didn't want to go to GT because it would be too hard for him. He could handle it if he wanted to, but he didn't have that drive. OTOH, many of my non-engineering, non-honors students have to use a calculator to do things like double digit addition or subtraction. They don't know how to solve for X, they don't know what the pythagorean theorem is, most understand percentages but will struggle to calculate them, and some can't even calculate the average of a set of data points. It's not just my school - we're above average for the state. Y'all really think that is Georgia Tech material? Because that is the average D1 football recruit.
In the words of George Carlin... "Think about how dumb the average guy is. Then think about the fact that half the people are dumber than him."

There's so much academic support for GT athletes (in the words of Adam Gotsis: "You really have to try to fail") that this is only a perception thing. Not that 'perception things' aren't important, they are.

There's so much academic support for GT athletes (in the words of Adam Gotsis: "You really have to try to fail") that this is only a perception thing. Not that 'perception things' aren't important, they are.

But perception becomes reality. As @johncu noted earlier in the thread, a lot of those kids don't have the drive. Most of the athletes (there are a few exceptions) are much worse students than the average student coming into GT. I think that some of the fonts don't understand how shallow the pool is for GT recruiting in this state.

Whomever the new coach is really needs to have better support from TStan in the way of resources ($$$) to cast a wider net on the national level.

But perception becomes reality. As @johncu noted earlier in the thread, a lot of those kids don't have the drive. Most of the athletes (there are a few exceptions) are much worse students than the average student coming into GT. I think that some of the fonts don't understand how shallow the pool is for GT recruiting in this state.

Whomever the new coach is really needs to have better support from TStan in the way of resources ($$$) to cast a wider net on the national level.
Right. IMO there are two ways to improve recruiting without making widespread curricular changes:

1) Make GT football such a strong pull that recruits will be more willing to deal with the curriculum
2) Recruit nationally to create a larger pool

The difficult thing is we're still in a catch 22 situation, because both points above require winning, but winning requires improved recruiting.

*Whoever

The national recruiting thing is just a fashion. For years when we recruited nationally (and had mediocre classes) people said we were overlooking a lot of talent in Georgia, so CPJ tried to focus on Georgia kids. That didn't change things (we still got mediocre classes), so now people are returning to nationwide emphasis.

Obviously with unlimited recruiting assistants you should be scouting globally. But remember that DL we lost from Germany who went to Penn St after we did all the legwork? You can spend a lot of dollars flying to HS games in Texas when you could be driving to them in Clayton and Gwinnett and Bibb.

I'm all for anything the powers-that-be think we should try. But this is definitely a case of 'there's nothing new under the sun.'

My experience with Tech athletes during the Gailey years, including several future NFL players, was that not one of them was an idiot. In fact, they were all engaged in their school work for the most part and worked like the rest of us to get a grade. I also found football players to be better in group projects than just regular students - they got their stuff done and did not leave other group members holding the bag on an unfinished task.

My experience with Tech athletes during the Gailey years, including several future NFL players, was that not one of them was an idiot. In fact, they were all engaged in their school work for the most part and worked like the rest of us to get a grade. I also found football players to be better in group projects than just regular students - they got their stuff done and did not leave other group members holding the bag on an unfinished task.
Group projects probably explain the ibeeballin / jacketforlife feud.

I'm sure you're right, but that does not reflect the typical D1 football player. Do you think students at UGA would say the same about athletes in their classes?

I'm sure you're right, but that does not reflect the typical D1 football player. Do you think students at UGA would say the same about athletes in their classes?
No, because I met Leonard Pope one time in Athens.

My bigger point is that there are nfl caliber athletes out there who are capable of doing the work at Tech. It’s defeatist to think otherwise.

No, because I met Leonard Pope one time in Athens.

My bigger point is that there are nfl caliber athletes out there who are capable of doing the work at Tech. It’s defeatist to think otherwise.
There absolutely are. There are enough 4 and 5 star athletes out there willing and able to do the work at GT that we could win a national championship. We're just fighting massively against the odds trying to find them and sign them.

No. It's been nearly 30 years, but I can personally attest to this not happening.

In the words of George Carlin... "Think about how dumb the average guy is. Then think about the fact that half the people are dumber than him."

Even George Carlin was too dumb to know the difference between an average and a median.

He would not have survived Ma Tech.

exactly. I mean, Gotsis didn't even speak english and he graduated.

Back