Monken Poll

Would a Monken hire be acceptable to you?

• Yes

Votes: 151 59.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have so many competitive advantages over other schools. We shoot ourselves in the foot offering 3O football. Not to mention that our defensive guys never get to practice and progress against a more conventional offense.
Of course thats the problem. Weve had the scout team running the 3/o all of these years!

We don’t have to be top 10, but we also can’t have this mentality of scheme trumps all attitude to recruiting that we have had.

GT can get NFL talent. Gailey proved that. We were an offensive coordinator and a qb coach and/or qb from having some really special teams.

Did cpj not recruit anyone that went to the NFL? My memory is a bit hazy...

We do. And many of our fans turn them into negatives rather than positives.

I’d encourage everyone to watch Calvin’s interview on espn during the Miami game where he said he chose Tech over uga due to academics. It doesn’t matter if a kid is white, black, brown or green - more often than not their parents are going to want their kid to get the best. A Tech degree is prestige and we need to sell that rather than how balls out hard it can be. The guys who have played here know that and that’s why you see people like Key Fox, Jarrett Jack and hopefully one day Calvin Johnson coming back after a pro career to get the Tech degree. It means a lot to them and their families.

We will get some stars that will come here because of the academics; but for every one of those we get because of academics there are many we don't get because of the same academics. We only get a a fraction of the kids who can qualify here, we get none of the kids who can't qualify here. We get some of the kids who want the degree programs we offer, we get few of the kids who don't want what is offered in our limited degree programs. Overall our academics are a negative both due the qualification and limited offerings, making calculus a requirement is just the cherry on top.

We will get some stars that will come here because of the academics; but for every one of those we get because of academics there are many we don't get because of the same academics. We only get a a fraction of the kids who can qualify here, we get none of the kids who can't qualify here. We get some of the kids who want the degree programs we offer, we get few of the kids who don't want what is offered in our limited degree programs. Overall our academics are a negative both due the qualification and limited offerings, making calculus a requirement is just the cherry on top.

The calculus as a requirement is a joke. I know because I ate it hard in calculus and then purposefully avoided it on my way out. The business “calculus” classes are not hard.

This. The Tech degree is a great selling point. But the incremental value just doesn't mean that much to top talent, even to kids that could hack it here. It definitely means a ton to the 3 stars... Just take a look at folks thanking PJ on Twitter. They are unbelievably thankful for getting the chance to earn their degree.

The counter example to Calvin coming here is Myron Rolle, a Rhoades scholar, playing at FSU.

The calculus as a requirement is a joke. I know because I ate it hard in calculus and then purposefully avoided it on my way out. The business “calculus” classes are not hard.

It doesn't matter if it is hard or not. What matters is that people recruiting against us can use it as a scare tactic. I"m not aware of any of our players failing it.

I don't know what you are trying to say here "I know because I ate it hard in calculus and then purposefully avoided it on my way out."

It doesn't matter if it is hard or not. What matters is that people recruiting against us can use it as a scare tactic. I"m aware of any of our players failing it.

I don't know what you are trying to say here "I know because I ate it hard in calculus and then purposefully avoided it on my way out."
I mean that I took calculus, did not do well, and then switched majors so I could avoid it. What they call calculus for purposes of saying everyone takes it is not calculus at all.

I mean that I took calculus, did not do well, and then switched majors so I could avoid it. What they call calculus for purposes of saying everyone takes it is not calculus at all.

Oh ok, got ya. I wonder if it would help recruiting if GT quit calling it calculus?

I was lucky to get a C in calc1 en route to graduating with high honors at tech. Calculus 1 is no ööööing joke at tech.

It's probably hard for your typical 4 or 5 stars who want to coast through school and just focus on football.

I’ll take a stab and say 75% of ALL high school graduates these days aren’t prepared for Calc.

Probably right.

I also heard the football players take the class at other schools, GPC is what I remember being said.

Pretty sad it scares recruits off considering all the tutor help they can get as well.

A lot of the athletes take calc (or business calc) at GPC over the summer. They don't have to face the 4 horsemen.

This is our chance to go BIG - our primary competition for a coach right now is Louisville for crying out loud. Don't settle on the safe hire with Monken. Go big!
That's it. Lets go big. Maybe big risk / big reward. I think Monken will still be out there in 3-4 years if we need to make the switch, and the fan base at that time will have much more appetite for the triple option than we currently do. I'm actually surprised that 58% of stingtalkers would be okay with Monken; still, that's not what I want for this move.

I’ll take a stab and say 75% of ALL high school graduates these days aren’t prepared for Calc.

I bet it’s more like 90% really. Besides that, as mentioned it is at the very least a likely and probably effective recruiting scare tactic for the vast majority of top level HS players

Kids today take stuff like finance at UGA. That’s definitely got one calc requirement. It’s not the math scaring athletes off, it’s the lack of majors they’re interested in.

—-

I’d be happy with Monken.

75%? If we're talking actual Calculus, I'd push that number above 95%. I'd wager that the majority of D1 football players can barely do Algebra and Geometry, and their SAT scores back that up.

Just because this is what I imagine everytime I read the title of this thread.
576315.jpg

Also, if you google "monkey pole" there are interesting pics.

Why Monken and not Niumatalolo?

Navy's schedule is a lot tougher than Army's, and Niumatalolo has been there for a while.

Either of those will have the masses sleeping thru Christmas and our opponents jumping for joy like every day in December is Christmas.

Back