Monken Poll

Would a Monken hire be acceptable to you?

• Yes

Votes: 151 59.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s not the offense scaring recruits it’s the fact that we have 3 maybe 4-5 if you include FSU and Auburn teams that have played for the national championship game VERY CLOSE to us. Compounded with the fact that we already have a difficult school to recruit to. The recruiting services have made the recruiting game a self-fulfilling prophecy. The recruits want to get noticed by the top schools who will always be the top schools for recruiting because they have the fanbases that consume high school recruiting content, because the recruits want to go to the schools who get the best recruits who have the fanbases that consume high school recruiting content.

This poll results doesn't line up with the which offense poll results.
One poll is what do you want, the other is what is merely acceptable.

Yeah that's the answer I was looking for.

I think when CPJ was hired there was a similar split. Probably half of the fanbase was less than thrilled with the hire. The first season went a long way to getting the other half of the fanbase on board. And it has been a slow slide back to split again.

I thought Paul was better when he had Monken and when he had Bohannon, based on their personal results they seem to be very good coaches.
Tech is unique and the system worked for us quite well. I would be elated with Monken or pleased with Bohannon. If we go the Elliott route we could have a
year like Arkansas had this year. If we go the Wisenhunt route I have no idea where we might end up. I think with Monken or Bohannon you are looking at
a program with win/losses similar to Johnson. I have actually enjoyed the last 11 years.

I' am looking for a coach that leaves the TO behind so we can get some top recruits, then we can field a top football team,

Paul has many folks believing that without some great equalizer, the Triple Option, that we simply can't compete with the ugags and Clemson's of the world. Tell me that's not the reason why people are bringing up Monken and other proteges. Would you even consider them if they weren't running the triple option? If the answer is no, then that's not the next coach we want for our program.
I agreed with Paul, TECH is like one of the academies in that we are not going to be in the top ten in recruiting, never, ever

I agreed with Paul, TECH is like one of the academies in that we are not going to be in the top ten in recruiting, never, ever

If we EVER have a top ten class it is VERY likely we'll be on probation within three years after that.

We don’t have to be top 10, but we also can’t have this mentality of scheme trumps all attitude to recruiting that we have had.

GT can get NFL talent. Gailey proved that. We were an offensive coordinator and a qb coach and/or qb from having some really special teams.

We don’t have to be top 10, but we also can’t have this mentality of scheme trumps all attitude to recruiting that we have had.

GT can get NFL talent. Gailey proved that. We were an offensive coordinator and a qb coach and/or qb from having some really special teams.
I agree whole heartedly with this. I don't think PJ did us a service by trash-talking the recruiting services. It hit at star recruit's manhood (they earn those stars) and gave recruiting sites easy fodder to punish us. I think it also set us up to be many players' backup school and not believe we were going to prepare them for the NFL. I would suggest the next coach try to maybe implement a specific training regimen or activity that implements NFL combine preparation if we choose to move forward with our unique offense. Don't know if that's possible.

We have so many competitive advantages over other schools. We shoot ourselves in the foot offering 3O football. Not to mention that our defensive guys never get to practice and progress against a more conventional offense.

Last edited:
We have so many competitive advantages over other schools. We shoot ourselves in the foot offering 3O football. Not to mention that our defensive guys never get to practice against a more conventional offense.
We do. And many of our fans turn them into negatives rather than positives.

I’d encourage everyone to watch Calvin’s interview on espn during the Miami game where he said he chose Tech over uga due to academics. It doesn’t matter if a kid is white, black, brown or green - more often than not their parents are going to want their kid to get the best. A Tech degree is prestige and we need to sell that rather than how balls out hard it can be. The guys who have played here know that and that’s why you see people like Key Fox, Jarrett Jack and hopefully one day Calvin Johnson coming back after a pro career to get the Tech degree. It means a lot to them and their families.

I agree whole heartedly with this. I don't think PJ did us a service by trash-talking the recruiting services. It hit at star recruit's manhood (they earn those stars) and gave recruiting sites easy fodder to punish us. I think it also set us up to be many players' backup school and not believe we were going to prepare them for the NFL. I would suggest the next coach try to maybe implement a specific training regimen or activity that implements NFL combine preparation if we choose to move forward with our unique offense. Don't know if that's possible.

I love this idea, get a former nfl scout on staff and set aside dedicated nfl prep time for those players that want it.

We have so many competitive advantages over other schools. We shoot ourselves in the foot offering 3O football. Not to mention that our defensive guys never get to practice against a more conventional offense.
They practice against the scout team... You do know that, right?

They practice against the scout team... You do know that, right?

Yep. Fully aware of that.

That's not good enough. If we want a better defense, we need our defensive guys practicing against something in spring that looks something similar to what we will be facing in fall.

This is where I think he could be an improvement on CPJ. If he embraced recruiting, I think we could get that extra game or two this year. Brad Stewart has got heart, but we should have been able to pull in better receivers than him. Brad should have been a jr/sr starter, and that is failure of cpj’s recruiting abilities.
Only a slight uptick would be needed to have made real change in the option game with Johnson. It would be interesting to see if his energy would have an uptick in recruiting.

Back