More From PJ on Al Firing...

TheTaxJacket

Dodd-Like
Said that the Groh philosophy was teaching defense as a whole moreso than by position. (Flawed IMO)

Team will be working now in their position groups more which philosophically different from Al.

Said he hopes getting the position coaches more involved will energize the players.

Also said moving to one gap technique rather than two.

Doesn't expect to lose any recruits.

Link on AJC. On phone can't post.

Quit teaching scheme so much and teach these jokers to be mean SOB's that the other team wouldn't think about crossing the LOS. I hate read and react bend and don't break crap.

That was the shortest 30 day ban I've ever seen.

Said that the Groh philosophy was teaching defense as a whole moreso than by position. (Flawed IMO)

Team will be working now in their position groups more which philosophically different from Al.

Said he hopes getting the position coaches more involved will energize the players.

Also said moving to one gap technique rather than two.

Doesn't expect to lose any recruits.

Link on AJC. On phone can't post.

WHAT THE EFFING EFF??

We didn't coach our individual groups (DL, LB, DB)? I don't even

WHAT THE EFFING EFF??

In hearing the youtube of the press conference last night, I got the impression Groh was a severe micro-manager. I don't know if that was because the position coaches weren't his so he felt they couldn't be trusted with how he wanted the players taught.

I think that's what CPJ is getting at about meeting with position groups. The position groups met but Al Groh ran the entire show, while CPJ's philosophy on O is if you coach the OL, you run the OL drills, meetings, etc. When CPJ wants extra attention to it, he'll step in. He wants D to be run that way. He provided slight indications that's why he thought there was such a disconnect with the D player's knowledge - Groh was doing everything and spread too thin. He couldn't meet, teach, etc. with the necessary details within the 2 hour practice window.

WHAT THE EFFING EFF??

As part of his job, CPJ has to talk to media and fans, so he is giving us some hope and change

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it on the field.

In hearing the youtube of the press conference last night, I got the impression Groh was a severe micro-manager. I don't know if that was because the position coaches weren't his so he felt they couldn't be trusted with how he wanted the players taught.

I think that's what CPJ is getting at about meeting with position groups. The position groups met but Al Groh ran the entire show, while CPJ's philosophy on O is if you coach the OL, you run the OL drills, meetings, etc. When CPJ wants extra attention to it, he'll step in. He wants D to be run that way. He provided slight indications that's why he thought there was such a disconnect with the D player's knowledge - Groh was doing everything and spread too thin. He couldn't meet, teach, etc. with the necessary details within the 2 hour practice window.

fwiw, I took his comments about the players' knowledge to be in the context of in-game communication.

As you suggest thought, it seems that Al enjoyed spending time coaching the players, not necessarily the most efficient use of limited practice time.

fwiw, I took his comments about the players' knowledge to be in the context of in-game communication.

As you suggest thought, it seems that Al enjoyed spending time coaching the players, not necessarily the most efficient use of limited practice time.

Ya, it was almost as if CPJ was hinting, 'This isn't the NFL where you have them all day to teach what you want to teach. We only have them for two hours/day.'

With Groh's extensive college experience, I just don't see him unable to make the coaching style transition to the college game. He would have known that from his time at UVA. I'm inclined to believe he simply didn't trust the position coaches.

WHAT THE EFFING EFF??

blainespoof.jpg

It's the only thing I could think of, reading your quote.

Praise the heavens, we are moving to a 1 gapping style instead of a 2 gap! I've been saying that for 2 years now. A 1 gap approach should yield a much more aggressive attacking defense rather than the old read and react 2 gapping style.

Praise the heavens, we are moving to a 1 gaping style instead of a 2 gap! I've been saying that for 2 years now. A 1 gap approach should yield a much more aggressive attacking defense rather than the old read and react 2 gapping style.

can someone explain the difference, and the significance of the change?

A two gap approach is designed for the 3 down linemen to just hold staight up man to man on the opposing OLine against the run game to create a wall type defense. Each DLinemen is responsible for 2 gaps to the left and right of them.

A one gap approach means the Dlinemen line up offset to the OLine and take on the blocks in between the gaps. They are then only responsible for one gap. This is a more aggressive style which allows for smaller quicker linemen to shoot gaps and disrupt run lanes a little easier. It also allows more opportunity for the Dline to get pressure on the QB becasue of the leverage gained on the OLine by taking a gap head on rather than an Olinemen straight up.

My guess is that Groh didn't want to change to the one gap because the true 3-4 he runs creates the wall and theoretically gets teh linebackers to shoot the gaps, problem is our defensive line isn't big enough to turn opposing OLines to create the gaps for the linebackers to shoot through, it just creates a big cluster on the line and tangles up the Dline allowing for outside runs and cut back lane vulnerability. Or it just means our DLine is going to get pushed back completely liek against Clemson when Tahj Boyd was perfect on 3 and short jsut straight up the gut.

The one gap approach shoudl play more to our defensive line size and theoretically allow for more pressure from the DLine as opposed to Linebackers always applying the pressure.

A 2 gapping style 3-4 makes all the 3 DL responsible for the gaps on both sides of them, making it especially hard for the NG who is responsible for both A gaps. This of course makes our DL play a slower less attacking style bc they have to occupy the OLman in front of them and try to play both sides of him. A 1 gapping style makes the DL responsible for just one gap, meaning we will be slanting the DL and shooting the NG one way or the other, all is predetermined before the snap. With a 1 gapping style because the DL will play more aggressively and be selling out to a certain gap that means we should be blitzing the backers into the gaps that aren't the DL's responsibilities. It's a gap control-gap exchange defense that is much more disruptive and aggressive....aka what 90% of ST'ers want to see(me included)

I am assuming the trade-off here is some risk reward in that if you shoot the "wrong" gap it could open up an even larger running lane.

However, I don't think running lanes could get any bigger than the ones we see and I think removing the need to think out of our defense will only help. Am I correct in assuming that gap assignments will involve some form of pre-snap read based on offensive alignment and package?

I think Groh really believed that the 2-gap if played continuously would have been an art form. This was not reality. He probably just kept playing a lot of 2-gap and linemen and linebackers sat in read and react which always is a bad thing against speed because there might be NO time to react or shoot the right gap. Just being aggressive right off the line can be effective if the line is speedy and sheds blocks.

Back