More From PJ on Al Firing...

I am assuming the trade-off here is some risk reward in that if you shoot the "wrong" gap it could open up an even larger running lane.

However, I don't think running lanes could get any bigger than the ones we see and I think removing the need to think out of our defense will only help. Am I correct in assuming that gap assignments will involve some form of pre-snap read based on offensive alignment and package?

The trade-off is based around the personnel you have available. You run a 2 gap front if you have big uglies who can control the line and get into either gap when they need to, as well as fast LBs who can get to the QB. You run a 1 gap front if you have quicker linemen and you want to pressure the quarterback quickly. 2 gap staffed & executed properly stuffs the middle better against the run, 1 gap run properly gets to the quarterback more.

Does Wake Forest run a 1-gap 3-4 defense? I remember that pint sized NG of theirs just running wild in a couple games.

The trade-off is based around the personnel you have available. You run a 2 gap front if you have big uglies who can control the line and get into either gap when they need to, as well as fast LBs who can get to the QB. You run a 1 gap front if you have quicker linemen and you want to pressure the quarterback quickly. 2 gap staffed & executed properly stuffs the middle better against the run, 1 gap run properly gets to the quarterback more.

So it sounds like we could potentially open ourselves up to the run a bit more, but considering we cannot stop it now then I don't see this as a big issue.

So it sounds like we could potentially open ourselves up to the run a bit more, but considering we cannot stop it now then I don't see this as a big issue.

No, this will improve our run defense because we will be in a better position overall.

In the 2-gap the DL has to hold the shape of the line and wait for the running play to begin, then they can determine which gap the play is using and get into it to stop the play. We didn't seem to be able to do that consistently, either our reaction time was too slow or our DL wasn't fast or strong enough to get in the way in time.

With the 1 gap we never give them that level of ability to dictate where we have to defend. We will always be trying to get in those gaps and go forward, so it takes our major weakness, whatever it was in that read/react process, out of the game. It also reduces their numbers advantage when run with 4 on the line, which means they will not be as dominant about the position of the line, hopefully.

Why the ---- is always saying that our DL is too small for the 3-4?

I am assuming the trade-off here is some risk reward in that if you shoot the "wrong" gap it could open up an even larger running lane.

However, I don't think running lanes could get any bigger than the ones we see and I think removing the need to think out of our defense will only help. Am I correct in assuming that gap assignments will involve some form of pre-snap read based on offensive alignment and package?

Yes, also overpursuit can be an issue. If a Dlinemen fights to hard to get through a gap he can lose his contain of his lane and the runner will run right past him which can be dangerous

your dline needs to be able to move the line of scrimmage into the backfield or be able to rush thru the oline in order to disrupt the run game and pressure the QB

when you play quality teams, that requires strength and speed and a tenacious attitude. when you try to do it with 3, then the middle and at least one side (NG and DE) have to be beasts. or you end up giving up the second level on every play

it also seems to me that you have to have at least one shut-down corner in order to implement most of the zone blitzing schemes that the 34 allows - which to me seems like the main purpose of the 34.

if you dont have a shut-down corner then running zone blitz schemes opens you up big time and so why would you run a 34 if you dont have a big NG and a shutdown corner?

idk, anyone? bueller?

your dline needs to be able to move the line of scrimmage into the backfield or be able to rush thru the oline in order to disrupt the run game and pressure the QB

when you play quality teams, that requires strength and speed and a tenacious attitude. when you try to do it with 3, then the middle and at least one side (NG and DE) have to be beasts. or you end up giving up the second level on every play

I agree with this and I think our teams failure to do this is all the proof you need to know that the Line is a bit too undermanned with only 3 down linemen.

Not sure what else you can point to because against Clemson, Miami, VT, and UGA they won't gain an inch.

I actually think we have the talent to do this. Our 1st qtr rush D would be in the top 10 of yds/rush.

If CPJ is right that a lot of our troubles stemmed from our team not knowing what alignment etc they were supposed to be running, we may see some really positive results when they do.

I actually think we have the talent to do this. Our 1st qtr rush D would be in the top 10 of yds/rush.

If CPJ is right that a lot of our troubles stemmed from our team not knowing what alignment etc they were supposed to be running, we may see some really positive results when they do.

I agree with this also. There appears to be a fundamental disagreement with what PJ thought we should be doing relative to the guys we have now versus what Groh has always coached in the past.

Back