More From PJ on Al Firing...

The timing of the Groh firing was smart. With our schedule getting weaker coming up, it's likely the defense would've done better just due to strength of opponent, which may have made it harder to fire him at the end of the season. (Yes, I know, MTSU isn't that good but neither is UVA, and the defense looked good against them.) The string of defensive collapses made a compelling case to fire him now.

It was also a good palliative for fan discontent that would've otherwise lingered up through the UGA game. I get the impression most people feel at least a little better about the course of the program now that Groh's been fired.

Yep. There may never have been a better time to fire a DC mid season.

also factor in that one might give a coach a few games to correct mistakes, but if the trend continues that no matter how much time is spent correcting future mistakes were not averted then more time will not help

if the coaches are not able to communicate to players what corrections will lead to not making as many mistakes in the future, then it begs the question whether it is a scheme vs talent issue

Also, it gives us time to address any concerns with recruits. They will have gotten over it by signing day. I heard CPJ was on the phone with a number of them Monday evening.

The upside of CPJ being more involved with the defense is watching him do that thing where the coach runs up to the defender after making a narley stop and jumping into the air and chest bumping.

At this point, I think Groh made a big impact on a lot of the players, was a first-class person, and may have even suggested that CPJ let him go. I wish he'd turned the defense around, but it didn't happen. I'd love for the coaching staff just to talk about what's next, and for us to do that too.
I think Groh was a good representative of the school, and a great influence on the players, and if I ever meet him, I'll tell him I was glad to have him here.

At this point, I think Groh made a big impact on a lot of the players, was a first-class person, and may have even suggested that CPJ let him go. I wish he'd turned the defense around, but it didn't happen. I'd love for the coaching staff just to talk about what's next, and for us to do that too.
I think Groh was a good representative of the school, and a great influence on the players, and if I ever meet him, I'll tell him I was glad to have him here.

No one asks to be fired. That's preposterous. I agree he's a classy guy.

Back