Navy.

User 10337

Beat Uga 2/3 times with JT. Revisionist history. Best team since 1990. You must have missed the part where I agreed with him. But some of you guys are just too busy hating on the scheme.
2009 was better, from a biased and unbiased position.

ChadWins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Really like how they are mixing up their flexbone with a few pistol sets tonight. They are also running a compressed set with the the two A-backs to one side. I have never seen that look before. I wish we had Niumatalolo and his staff here to be honest even though he wasn't interested. I think he would given us a slight bump in recruiting as well.
There is a reason only a few teams run that stupid crap. When is the last time a flexbone option team won the NC??

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
That game looked like a lot of our classics. Run for 300 yards, allow the other teams running back to go over 100 on 7+ ypc, allow the other QB to be damn near perfect, and lose.

FLTech

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Oh geez not this again

What is it with "some GT Fans" that think that Tripl-O Offense is the ONLY WAY for GT to ever have a prayer of succeeding

WE ARE IN THE GREAT STATE OF GEORGIA!

WE ARE IN THE METRO ATLANTA AREA!

GT FB is surrounded by 125 to 150 FBS-P5 Recruits each year , of that one-fiddy 70% are able to graduate from GT with a degree in LMC, HST, or Business

NEWSFLASH!

GT FB never needed the Tripl-O to start with, the only thing Chan lacked was a good QB

Our GTAA basically tore down a pretty nice Home because we had some minor plumbing issues, the temporary fix looked great, until it didn't

I wish the Tripl-Oh fanboys would learn something about CFB & HS FB in this Region before they fawn all over ONE SYSTEM
Yea but recruits only care about being the big man on campus and not the little man in the big city

/sarcasm now turned off.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Personally I would still like to have seen what the 3-O could have been with a top 20 recruiting class.

I'm pretty sure PJ was right that it is the equalizer. Given the same talent and execution, I think the option wins every time. I'm slightly disappointed we'll never know.
You already know how the 3O works with a top 20 class because that's what PJ had to work with his first two years here. Inheriting this class is the only time you will ever know too because this offense can't recruit a top 20 class on its own.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I’m not a 3O defendant and I don’t think 3O is the only way for us to go but I think our OC is hot garbage. Some of his mistakes have nothing to do with the “most monumental transition in the history of college football”, it’s just dumb football. We need a decent OC if we want success with these awesome recruits we’re getting.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I’m not a 3O defendant and I don’t think 3O is the only way for us to go but I think our OC is hot garbage. Some of his mistakes have nothing to do with the “most monumental transition in the history of college football”, it’s just dumb football. We need a decent OC if we want success with these awesome recruits we’re getting.
That being the case, after the last 3 games of last year it was time to get rid of the coach / OC because that O was not even hot garbage worthy.

johncu

Dodd-Like
That being the case, after the last 3 games of last year it was time to get rid of the coach / OC because that O was not even hot garbage worthy.
Dude, we averaged 33.6 points per game last season, including a full P5 conference schedule and 2 of the Top 3 teams in the country. I think we would agree that it was one of CPJ's worst seasons, along with 2017 and 2015.

So far this season we're averaging 17.3 ppg against a 3 game schedule that includes one of the worst teams in all of FBS and a team that isn't even in FBS.

You really want to make that comparison? The new staff is already doing a lot of things better than the old one, but offense is far from one of them.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Nebraska won 3 nattys in the 90s, although their option was out of the I formation rather than the bone.
Nebraska also had an NFL Caliber TE for most of those 3 MNCs and they had great defenses and great OLs

They were never undersized like the kinds of Recruits that CPJ signed

Nebraska wasn't beating out G5 schools for Recruits like we were

johncu

Dodd-Like
You already know how the 3O works with a top 20 class because that's what PJ had to work with his first two years here. Inheriting this class is the only time you will ever know too because this offense can't recruit a top 20 class on its own.
I don't think we know this. What we know is that Paul Johnson can't recruit a Top 20 class, but that has more to do with him and his staff than it does with his offensive scheme. I think if someone could find a coach with an engaging personality (like Collins) who ran that offense, people would absolutely want to play in it. The offense we're running right now looks like a dog ate cat öööö and vomited it up, but kids are all about playing in it purely because the team environment is good and the coach is making it "cool".

ChadWins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Nebraska won 3 nattys in the 90s, although their option was out of the I formation rather than the bone.
I said flexbone. That hasn't been one. If that crap offense was so good, everyone would run it. You have to throw the ball in order to attract the NFL caliber prospect. The nfl doesn't run the flex. That option stuff had it's time on the flats. Thank god it is gone. Some of you people need to be navy fans or where johnson is fans. That shipped had sailed.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Also, FWIW, I don't think Tech fans are obsessed with the option. I think most just want to see us run something different. We need better athletes than we currently have, but we know we'll never have better athletes than Clemson, Alabama, UGA, etc. So we need to outsmart them. I was thrilled when we hired Paul Johnson, but I would have been just as happy with Mike Leach or somebody like that.

ChadWins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Dude, we averaged 33.6 points per game last season, including a full P5 conference schedule and 2 of the Top 3 teams in the country. I think we would agree that it was one of CPJ's worst seasons, along with 2017 and 2015.

So far this season we're averaging 17.3 ppg against a 3 game schedule that includes one of the worst teams in all of FBS and a team that isn't even in FBS.

You really want to make that comparison? The new staff is already doing a lot of things better than the old one, but offense is far from one of them.
We have played 3 games under a system that us totally different. Have you seen the o line problems??? This comparison shows how ignorant you are to current roste .

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I don't think we know this. What we know is that Paul Johnson can't recruit a Top 20 class, but that has more to do with him and his staff than it does with his offensive scheme. I think if someone could find a coach with an engaging personality (like Collins) who ran that offense, people would absolutely want to play in it. The offense we're running right now looks like a dog ate cat öööö and vomited it up, but kids are all about playing in it purely because the team environment is good and the coach is making it "cool".
I once had a dream scenario where we had a high energy, defensive minded recruiter as head coach with an OC running our old offense. But I have come to believe that it wouldn't have given us more than a modest bump in recruiting. The negative pitch is too easy and too believable. We have run from it like it was the plague and people have come out of the woodwork to dump all over it. I don't think we'd have done that if we didn't believe it to be toxic and irredeemable to recruits. Doesn't mean we couldn't run some kind of funky scheme, but it would need to be something pass heavy, IMO.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
In the middle of the offseason doldrums, I got sucked into watching Alex Carrick's YouTube channel nearly every night, which is nothing but all the O plays of Tech going back years and years. It's amazing how much different the O changed after JT left - like night and day different. That '14 O had the ball bouncing inside and outside. Those post JT years were ugly - far uglier - than I remember in terms of complexity and variation of the option.

It's too bad Searcy and Lynch couldn't stick around longer. I would love to see them as slot guys in a traditional spread. CPJ's play calling/TQ's play really did piss away their later Tech careers.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
but that has more to do with him and his staff than it does with his offensive scheme
This is absolutely false. There have been numerous recruits and high school coaches this year on record saying they would not have considered Tech in the past SOLELY because of the offense we ran. This was even for defensive players because they did not want to take 80% of their practice snaps against that type of offense.