Navy.

User 10337

A recruit picked Auburn because of Chick-fil-A. Kids are extremely impressionable and often pick a school based on feel. CPJ was a hell of an X's and O's coach, but he's not the type of guy to make GT feel cool or innovative. IMO it's that simple. If Clemson ran the triple option they would be recruiting just as well as they are now with Dabo as coach and an energetic staff.
Lol. No they wouldn’t.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
A recruit picked Auburn because of Chick-fil-A. Kids are extremely impressionable and often pick a school based on feel. CPJ was a hell of an X's and O's coach, but he's not the type of guy to make GT feel cool or innovative. IMO it's that simple. If Clemson ran the triple option they would be recruiting just as well as they are now with Dabo as coach and an energetic staff.
I don't really think so. You are underselling kids' NFL aspirations, which go beyond the "cool" factor. Recruits may not pick a school because of scheme, but they will absolutely avoid one because of it. I think top 30 ish classes is what you could max out at even at a school with all the advantages in recruiting.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I feel the same way. I don't think CPJ had the energy at that point in his career or the ability to craft new ways to fight the stigma.
Don't understand

He could've fought the stigma with his playcalls

He could've fought the stigma when he had Vad Lee and passed 25 times per game on average

In a State like GA that is considered a pipeline to the NFL due to so much talent, what did CPJ think that averaging 5 pass attempts per gm would do for Recrootin?

Fight the stigma, heck he intentionally created the stigma

He intentionally drove QBs , WRs, OLs and RBs away in droves

Too tired to fight the stigma?

That's rich

GT to AZ

Helluva Engineer
We are probably about to get a couple of Bama commits and flip an NC State commit, as well. Thats plenty enough to tell me we went in the right direction...
We're definitely heading in the right direction as far as recruiting goes but a great head coach has to excel in more than just one facet. Just as we saw with CPJ, he was one of the best offensive minds in the game, but couldn't sustain a high level of success due to recruiting. CGC seems like the opposite so far. Amazing recruiter but struggling with coaching/managing the game. I hope he gets this weakness fixed.

GT to AZ

Helluva Engineer
I don't really think so. You are underselling kids' NFL aspirations, which go beyond the "cool" factor. Recruits may not pick a school because of scheme, but they will absolutely avoid one because of it. I think top 30 ish classes is what you could max out at even at a school with all the advantages in recruiting.
Didn't Nebraska stop running the option because it was to difficult to recruit?

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd

If Clemson ran CPJ' s Offense those elite Recruits would disappear like a fart in the wind

They'd be back at a lower level than when Bowden was the HC

HS players wanna go to the NFL just like great students in Science wanna go to Johns Hopkins Medical School

I don't understand why this is so hard for GT Alums to understand

18 year olds don't care about 40 yr plans or calling themselves "Tech Men" one day, they care about cold hard CASH

C.R.E.A.M.

That's from the Rap Group Wu Tang Clan

It stands for Cash Rules Everything Around Me

That's how modern day Recruits think , even those with great Transcripts

gambler

Went all in with 80k
You saw it in 09’

You can thank CGC for that class btw
Both of you know exactly what I mean. Your point about not being able to recruit is obviously valid because we had long enough to do that. 09 was not an "answer" because those players weren't brought in to run the option. However, the success they did have given their sheer talent speaks volumes.

I'm guessing if PJ would have brought in, or had a recruiter, he would still be here maybe with a few more trophies.

GT to AZ

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing if PJ would have brought in, or had a recruiter, he would still be here maybe with a few more trophies.
Agreed, I really wish we had someone with the PR skills of CGC driving recruiting during CPJ's tenure. I don't think recruiting would be as good as it is now because some will still reject the scheme but we probably would have closed many of those 4*'s that got away.

ITJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not coincidentally, they also stopped winning when they stopped running the option.
Yep, they've been in the wilderness ever since... Hope that's not our fate, but it's certainly on the table

GTsapper

USVI Wreck from Georgia Tech
If Clemson ran CPJ' s Offense those elite Recruits would disappear like a fart in the wind

They'd be back at a lower level than when Bowden was the HC

HS players wanna go to the NFL just like great students in Science wanna go to Johns Hopkins Medical School

I don't understand why this is so hard for GT Alums to understand

18 year olds don't care about 40 yr plans or calling themselves "Tech Men" one day, they care about cold hard CASH

C.R.E.A.M.

That's from the Rap Group Wu Tang Clan

It stands for Cash Rules Everything Around Me

That's how modern day Recruits think , even those with great Transcripts
I bet CGC can quote sweet rap lyrics too.

18in32

Petard Hoister
It's an interesting hypothetical.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
That's CPJ fault for not recruiting better QBs than Taquon

Urban Meyer said that 80% of your success as a HC is due to the players you Recruit
We actually had an unusual number of guys leave the QB pipeline either because of injury or transfer. The QBs that were directly recruited to play during 2017-2018 were Matthew Jordan (on track to start in 2017 before his foot injury), Jaylend Ratliffe (retired from football before college due to injury), Christain Campbell (injured hand and moved to DB), and Lucas Johnson (on track to start 2018 before his foot injury). Taquon played hard and did some good things, but he was not recruited to be a QB and ended up being our best option for those 2 years.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Dude, we averaged 33.6 points per game last season, including a full P5 conference schedule and 2 of the Top 3 teams in the country. I think we would agree that it was one of CPJ's worst seasons, along with 2017 and 2015.

So far this season we're averaging 17.3 ppg against a 3 game schedule that includes one of the worst teams in all of FBS and a team that isn't even in FBS.

You really want to make that comparison? The new staff is already doing a lot of things better than the old one, but offense is far from one of them.
Please show me where i said one single thing about the O doing better.

Get off whatever you are taking. It aint working.