NCAA to allow players to profit off likeness

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Yes. Why wouldn't he.

His proposal makes perfect sense.
Everything he’s saying is counterintuitive to what the NCAA preaches. Now your athletes are employees and everything you really didn’t want will come to fruition

Besides, Roy Williams and Coach K run NC. They will let no one shake the apple cart.

gt2690b

PB time!
- how are the teammates going to react to this? More "look out" blocks for underperforming superstar RB or QB?

- how are certain fan bases going to react to a business enterprise that has been paying a S/A when the kid does the unthinkable like fumbling on the one yard line vs. Arch Enemy U?

- anyone thinking that within 5 years there wont be a law requiring a female S/A to get an equal endorsement deal as the highest paid male S/A has not paid attention the last 30 years.
That pole vaulting chick deserves every penny

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Admitting kids considerably less qualified than the average student? Not a big deal.

Providing said kids with an army of tutors and advisors to brute force them through the easiest majors? Not a big deal.

Allowing them to make money of their own likeness? End of the frickin world.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I think the NCAA realizes these laws are a big risk for the business of college football. They're doing this so *they* can set the terms by which players can profit. I think they'll try to keep things as close to the status quo as possible.

Personally I think the status quo is fine (on the NCAA side) and I worry about these changes turning college football into a crappy NFL minor league.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Allowing them to make money of their own likeness? End of the frickin world.
People are already allowed to make money off their own likeness playing football. What's the problem? If a football player doesn't like the NCAA, they are free to play in some other league!

Why do you all hate free markets? You are telling the NCAA it has to do this and that, it isn't free to choose, and people aren't free to choose where they play football. There must be one organization and it must compensate participants in exactly the way you want. WTF. Quit attacking freedom.

Aluminium Stinger

Varsity Lurker
Time to follow the tried and true University of Chicago model. Let's just focus on academics. The student athlete model has been dead for decades - and its about to get much worse.

IM79

Flats Noob
Time to follow the tried and true University of Chicago model. Let's just focus on academics. The student athlete model has been dead for decades - and its about to get much worse.
So you want us to build a nuclear pile underneath Bobby Dodd? That’ll teach those mangy mutts a thing or two.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
So I guess we can just lock the stingtalk board and fill Bobby Dodd with water to make a swimming pool?

Giving up is a ridiculous idea.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
You realize that co-ops and summer interns pay taxes, right?
Yes, helped my son do his taxes this past year. What I don't know is if guys on full ride athletic scholarships have been paying taxes on that income all along.

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
You realize that co-ops and summer interns pay taxes, right?
Isn't the tax argument per the NC senator taxing the actual scholarship benefit? Kind of like winning game show prizes, then having to pay taxes on them. I don't think academic scholarships are taxed.