NCAA to allow players to profit off likeness

Discussion in 'Football' started by gtfan088, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Walton

Walton Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yeah that guy is a moron. I'm not sure ANYONE thinks what he is proposing is a good idea, even the schools that are against players earning outside income. If the scholarship is taxed, then that likely makes the SA an employee of the school and that is the last thing colleges want.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BeeStorm

BeeStorm The Dark Side of the Force Staff Member

Loc:
    Not Conyers
    Team:
    GT
    currently negotiating with some stingtalkers for the use of their likeness...

3. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    https://www.studentdebtrelief.us/college-tips/are-scholarships-taxable/

• Like Like x 1
  4. gtphd

gtphd Dodd-Like

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    They're not taxed if they pay for tuition and mandatory fees. Any non-mandatory fees, including room and board and food, are taxed.

Taxing athletic scholarships is a ridiculous idea. Consider a school like Tulane. None of the players will receive endorsements, so 85 guys will end up taking out loans to cover their scholarship taxes. Even at a school like Alabama, maybe 10 guys will get endorsements, leaving 75 guys paying taxes for no reason.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigDanT

BigDanT In it to rustle the Jimmies

Loc:
    Lawrenceville
    Team:
    Yellow jackets
    I’ll have my agent talk to your agent.

6. ThisIsAtlanta

ThisIsAtlanta Actually Nicolas Cage Staff Member

Loc:
    Acworth
    Team:
    GT
    I spent all my money converting my basement into a waffle house. Can I borrow your agent when you're done?

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigDanT

BigDanT In it to rustle the Jimmies

Loc:
    Lawrenceville
    Team:
    Yellow jackets
    Of course. We all know that you have had the absolute worst luck with agents.

• Like Like x 2
  8. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    How is it ridiculous to treat them the same way you treat academic scholarships? I'm wondering why it hasn't been that way all along. You may be against the idea of treating them like you do academic scholarships; but calling it ridiculous seems a little much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Are there laws right now requiring female professional athletes to get equal endorsement deals?

10. gtphd

gtphd Dodd-Like

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    I took the approach to mean the he was going to tax the entire scholarship, which is not how it works for academic scholarships.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PasadenaJacket

PasadenaJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Southern California
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I have a feeling all players on Bama's roster are going to going to get very nice endorsement deals.

12. Vespinae

Vespinae Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Are you talking about income tax?

13. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I think there are a couple of facets of this that are getting confused. Right now student athletes full ride scholarships are completely tax free (as I understand it); whereas academic full ride scholarships are taxed as income for room & board, etc.. I would be ok with taxing student athletes like academic scholarships are presently. Senator Burr I think wants to tax student athletes who cut endorsement deals for the entire scholarship (room & board, PLUS tuition, books) which goes beyond how current academic scholarships are handled. For student athletes without endorsement deals nothing would change under Senator Burr's idea (I think).

My earlier post was questioning would a student on academic scholarship with a internship be treated differently than a student athlete with endorsement deal; or would the student on academic scholarship now get taxed for the entire scholarship if they accept an internship.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gtphd

gtphd Dodd-Like

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    Ah, makes more sense.

On your last point, the problem with treating an internship / coop different than an endorsement deal is that car dealership will just give players jobs without required attendance instead of an endorsement deal to skirt tax law. They'd take a hit on SS an unemployment insurance, but that's probably less than the taxes the student would pay on a scholarship.

15. Yukonwreck

Yukonwreck Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tampa, Florida
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    What is going to be found is that college football in its current and former form is operating outside the law. It will therefore need to be abolished. Coaches, the NCAA, schools etc., have been unduly enriched at the expense of the scholarshipped athlete, who gets some benefits, but pays no taxes.

16. EffinDane

EffinDane Dodd-Like

Loc:
    BDS@HGF
    Team:
    GT
  17. The Jacket

The Jacket The Coat

Loc:
    Knee-Deep In The Dead
    Team:
    Thrashers
    I'm about to fill your inbox with my "likeness." It'll be a kind of performance art; a digital recreation of my experience on the night of Wednesday, October 30th, 2019 with your mom.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Not surprised that a NC Senator would suggest this. This state, with its love of ACC basketball and for Duke and UNC in particular, wants to defend the status quo at all costs. The cheating that is an art form and protected by the NCAA keeps the cash cows at the top of college football and basketball. Though Burr is a Wake grad, I can imagine his move was orchestrated by Swofford and UNC and Duke. Any kind of move toward transparency and above the table transacting is bad news for the top dogs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. texstinger

texstinger Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    If they were on the same team (or at the same school) I bet there will be.

20. gte490v

gte490v Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Rome, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't see anything stopping boosters from starting Speculative Signatures, LLC and throwing what they used to donate to the school in as an annual investment. Recruits get paid whatever it takes to get them to go to School X in exchange for a signed football. Sell or donate the footballs, write off the losses, and now you maintain your tax deductible donations but have a direct impact on the program, which is what they want in the first place.

I think this is going to have a big impact on donations to athletic associations and women's scholarships.

• Like Like x 1