New Football Division is Happening

There is no cap on the amount of funds that a program can provide an athlete.

Then this isn't a fix, this is formalized insanity. Every competitive sport on Planet Earth has caps to instill sanity. The last sport to try to do away with any caps was Formula-1. It got to where it cost $1,000,000 per tenth of a second shaved off lap time. Mercedes spent everybody into oblivion. It didn't matter who was driving so much ... the Mercedes cars were going to finish first. And they did. Ferrari, Honda, McLaren, and Renault couldn't keep up. Several teams got sent packing permanently never to return: Lotus, Caterham, Marussia, Toyota and scores of others.

It ruined the sport. It destroyed viewership ratings every single year it was a free for all like this: https://www.statista.com/statistics...racing-watched-within-the-last-12-months-usa/

This isn't a fix. This is mashing the gas peddle while staring at the cliff.

Then this isn't a fix, this is formalized insanity. Every competitive sport on Planet Earth has caps to instill sanity. The last sport to try to do away with any caps was Formula-1. It got to where it cost $1,000,000 per tenth of a second shaved off lap time. Mercedes spent everybody into oblivion. It didn't matter who was driving so much ... the Mercedes cars were going to finish first. And they did. Ferrari, Honda, McLaren, and Renault couldn't keep up. Several teams got sent packing permanently never to return: Lotus, Caterham, Marussia, Toyota and scores of others.

It ruined the sport. It destroyed viewership ratings every single year it was a free for all like this: https://www.statista.com/statistics...racing-watched-within-the-last-12-months-usa/

I don't disagree with your point, but MLB doesn't have a salary cap, and neither does the EPL. Those are both major competitive sports leagues.

A luxury tax is a salary cap by another name.

It helps some but the Mets are still able to spend six times as much on players as the As. There are vast competitive differences due to team finances in baseball due to the lack of a real salad cap, even if the luxury tax does help mitigate it a bit.

Still, I do generally agree with you. There needs to be something even if it's not a full cap.

I think the main problem is that any sort of cap requires a collectively bargained agreement with the players, otherwise it runs afoul if antitrust law (at least in the US.) The NCAA probably wants to do everything possible to avoid the players forming a union.

It seems like this is to avoid future lawsuits/settlements. 50% has to be directed to female athletes. This seems stupid AF.

The NCAA is so incredibly behind feminism and equality that they think male football players and basketball players should be further robbed to prop up women's programs that hemorrhage red ink which nobody watches. Without Joe Burrow, where would Jade, Lexus, Grace, Madison, and the rest of the silver spooners born to wealthy people get $30k each to blow on temporary luxuries when not playing field hockey in front of no one or grabass in the locker room or getting that "gender studies" degree to educate everyone about how society is keeping them down because they possess ovaries?

Even the NFL has a salary cap. This will kill a lot of athletic programs.

If I’m understanding correctly, the NCAA is just saying they wouldn’t cap payments. But the hypothetical new group of schools could choose to.

The NCAA is so incredibly behind feminism and equality that they think male football players and basketball players should be further robbed to prop up women's programs that hemorrhage red ink which nobody watches. Without Joe Burrow, where would Jade, Lexus, Grace, Madison, and the rest of the silver spooners born to wealthy people get $30k each to blow on temporary luxuries when not playing field hockey in front of no one or grabass in the locker room or getting that "gender studies" degree to educate everyone about how society is keeping them down because they possess ovaries?

I guess from the sane place that the men's tennis team gets it from.

Don't pay them either if they're not profitable. But we all know where the money is made: football, men's basketball. Only dynasties in WBB and baseball are briefly and inconsistently popular. LSU made some money on baseball a few years. UCONN made some money on WBB a few years. Both are overall in the red most years. Behind one person's Title IX feel good story is a male athlete getting robbed. The argument for equality of access and fielding Olympians vanishes when you start handing out $30,000 checks to go blow on the kinda crap 18 year olds spend it on.

"We face risks relating to misalignment with public and consumer tastes and preferences for entertainment, travel and consumer products, which impact demand for our entertainment offerings and products and the profitability of any of our businesses."

If I’m understanding correctly, the NCAA is just saying they wouldn’t cap payments. But the hypothetical new group of schools could choose to.

The real rub with a cap is you need an anti-trust exemption to do it. Congress is too polarized, weak, and inept to proactively tackle just about any issue right now. So you put in the cap in the new NCAA division even though it's illegal. When you invariably get taken to court, you being a never-ending media car wash and full court press on Congress: pass an exemption or the ruin of collegiate athletics is on YOUR hands, not ours. They'd move then.

I don't disagree with your point, but MLB doesn't have a salary cap, and neither does the EPL. Those are both major competitive sports leagues.
MLB is a terrible example. There are other controls to create parity, such as a draft, player control based on service time, competitive balance taxes, etc…

Although clearly there are haves and have nots in MLB as well, it’s not like the Haves go pluck all the best players from the have nots yearly like in CFB. This is the least competitively fair sport in America.

The factory conference is being born. The sooner it happens the better.
Understand this is what ESPN wants they can now do away with the contracts to the conferences to be on TV, and redo new ones with the one willing to do it. So, if you don't or can't, you will need season tickets to see your team.

Not really. Once men’s sports teams stop being self sufficient through donors they disappear so that spending can keep the cash cows afloat and AA in compliance with Title IX.

Not really. Once men’s sports teams stop being self sufficient through donors they disappear so that spending can keep the cash cows afloat and AA in compliance with Title IX.

Is this true? I thought pretty much all non-revenue sports were mainly funded via football revenue. Are men's sports based solely off donations?

I know Title IX can cause men's sports to be cut before women's sports, but as far as the "Your sport shouldn't exist if it needs to be funded by football profits thing" goes, I thought it applied to men's Olympic non-revenue too.

Is this true? I thought pretty much all non-revenue sports were mainly funded via football revenue. Are men's sports based solely off donations?

I know Title IX can cause men's sports to be cut before women's sports, but as far as the "Your sport shouldn't exist if it needs to be funded by football profits thing" goes, I thought it applied to men's Olympic mon-revenue too.
It’s true-ish.

Back