New Football Division is Happening

One thing that complicates this is Title IX. If you pay football players directly, suddenly you have to pay an equal number of female athletes. Now you have women's softball and women's soccer players getting paid. And not only that, but if I pay Star QB $10m per year, I've got to pay the female players $10m per year. So some female sports teams will be uncompetitive with others, and those teams will need their own division.

Ultimately you end up with some teams in the NCAA not paying players and some in a completely separate non-NCAA professional league for all sports and the two groups never play.
NIL is already an arms race and using Title IX rules to mandate huge sums to non-revenue women's sports will kill off more men's programs or force small to mid-size programs to opt out altogether. It's a poison pill.

Good. Let's load the car with dynamite and floor it. The sooner college football is ruined the sooner people can see how stupid this path was and start remaking it in a sensible way.

I am not giving 1 cent for NIL or anything like it. I think all y'all who do are suckers. Tech will not win under this new system absent a megadonor.
You fail to take into account that the destruction is the goal. They'll be no building back better.

You fail to take into account that the destruction is the goal. They'll be no building back better.
I thought every time anyone said Build Back Better they wanted to öööö something up?
1701827653270.gif

They are very close to killing the golden goose. While these factory programs have big viewership and numbers, I think they underestimate how many people watch games to see teams that their team will play.
if they go to 30 programs in this new league, how many people outside of those programs just turn it off? Can they maintain if programs 31-130 just stop watching? Are there enough factory fans and non affiliated to keep the numbers up? I don’t think so. If tech wasn’t in this league I wouldn’t watch a minute of it. I already have paid players to watch, it’s called the NFL.
Exactly what GTBandit22 is saying....If your school gets left out, you will continue following your school or shift your time / money to the NFL. Will not be surprised when the NFL starts playing games on Saturday crushing the viewership numbers for the new pay for play college division.

Exactly what GTBandit22 is saying....If your school gets left out, you will continue following your school or shift your time / money to the NFL. Will not be surprised when the NFL starts playing games on Saturday crushing the viewership numbers for the new pay for play college division.

Agreed. For me I mainly only watch Tech anymore but if I were to watch other games it would most likely be an upcoming opponent, especially if that had some impact on the conference race where Tech was still alive.

I have no idea what the masses do on average but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a non trivial number of people in a similar boat.

And I'm sure different people watch college football for different reasons. Maybe a main breakdown is fans of a particular team vs just fans of college football in general. I suppose there are also people that are just fans of a conference which is mysterious to me, it's kind of like being a fan of the government or some sort of administration but I'm sure they have their reasons.

For me, if Tech dropped football, let's say, I doubt I would watch much if any college football ever again. if there is a league split then at best I would be watching the one that Tech is in and really wouldn't care at all about the other, I'm certain of that. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

if a salary cap was imposed, what's the chances we could even meet it?
even with a salary cap, the factories will find a way to get their excess funds to recruits, same as they always have.

even with a salary cap, the factories will find a way to get their excess funds to recruits, same as they always have.
get laws made that make it illegal, and start putting people in prison and fining them. Set up a bounty-style reporting system for violations. The sec would eat itself afterwards.

Sounds like the impetus is simply the NCAA is shifting the rights to inserting a cap to the factory schools themselves since it's a foregone conclusion it will ultimately end up in 2 superconferences in the Big10 & SEC. Essentially washing their hands clean if any accountability since they've been neutered enough as is. It's pay to play now in the open with no more deflection.

Gee, what could go wrong here, lol...

If people think this proposal is bad, and it is, just wait until Congress gets its hands on it, and they certainly will. At that point the sec/espn kingdom will sorely regret supporting this NIL+++ and TP crap.

Don't the split between money to mens and womens teams depend on the % each is of the total enrollment? I thought that was why Tech doesn't field womens teams in gymnastics, field hockey, soccer, etc.

Why so much worry about Title IX?

Complete the transformation to a pro sport:

Form new corporations for football that employ players, rent the on campus facilities from the schools and pay a fee to the school for the naming rights. If a player wants to go to class they can - assuming they can get admitted - and pay for the tuition themselves.

Boom. No more SAs. No more direct association with an entity that receives Federal money. No more Title IX.

öööö, big-money alums - or just big money people - might be interested in owning such a corporation given the value of pro sports teams.

The NFL allowed college football its own space and cooperated so long as college acted as the NFL’s minor league/developmental system. Now that college football is a potential competitor, that cooperation is ending. For a long time Thursday nights belonged to college, but now NFL has a Thursday night game. NFL plays Saturday games after college season ends, but what’s to stop them from playing Saturday games all year?

Why so much worry about Title IX?

Complete the transformation to a pro sport:

Form new corporations for football that employ players, rent the on campus facilities from the schools and pay a fee to the school for the naming rights. If a player wants to go to class they can - assuming they can get admitted - and pay for the tuition themselves.

Boom. No more SAs. No more direct association with an entity that receives Federal money. No more Title IX.

öööö, big-money alums - or just big money people - might be interested in owning such a corporation given the value of pro sports teams.
inception-deeper.gif

Redirect all Institute marketing funds to become the main sponsor of the Falcons. Demand they change their colors and slap a GT on their helmets. Bob's your uncle.

The NFL allowed college football its own space and cooperated so long as college acted as the NFL’s minor league/developmental system. Now that college football is a potential competitor, that cooperation is ending. For a long time Thursday nights belonged to college, but now NFL has a Thursday night game. NFL plays Saturday games after college season ends, but what’s to stop them from playing Saturday games all year?

Might be kinda fun to watch the alpha silverback put the beta gorilla in its place.

Back