New Football Division is Happening

This goes to show what the big schools fear the most - athletes being able to use their NIL to strike deals in a free enterprise system with no control by their institutions. This is what we get from making AD’s profit mongers as opposed to former coaches. College football and basketball has made many wealthy and even more quite comfortable off the labor of the athlete. They want control of the largesse, even if it costs them millions (which indicates how much money we are talking about).

We are pushing the system to its breaking point and the contradiction will give birth to the New. Only one conference will remain, the ACC. #ACCeleration

No scholarship limits??? No payment limits???

College Football -> Most Money Wins

Why don't we skip the football and just compare bank accounts. It'd save a lot of time and be just about as entertaining.

It seems like this is to avoid future lawsuits/settlements. 50% has to be directed to female athletes. This seems stupid AF.
Yep. Linking this to Title IX will be a bonanza for sports like field hockey! WTF! There is no TV money in women's sports and nobody cares. What a waste. Just dumb.

I'm stupid - i don't understand what all this means - Does it mean the school funds the players so we can use our roll call endowment to buy a team?
I don't want GT to be like this.

This isn't a fix. This is mashing the gas peddle while staring at the cliff.

Good. Let's load the car with dynamite and floor it. The sooner college football is ruined the sooner people can see how stupid this path was and start remaking it in a sensible way.

I am not giving 1 cent for NIL or anything like it. I think all y'all who do are suckers. Tech will not win under this new system absent a megadonor.

No scholarship limits??? No payment limits???

Nah. This is just a thought starter along the lines of, "what if we had a division where you had to pay football players directly?" I could see a model where a conference develops a league minimum per player. However it's in their best interest to somehow cap the maximum, either via a salary cap, a service based salary, or a luxury tax model. If you don't, the league will quickly become uncompetitive.

At the end of the day, the players will start a union and negotiate with the schools to establish the structure of the agreement. Until that happens, we don't really know how the model will work.

One thing that complicates this is Title IX. If you pay football players directly, suddenly you have to pay an equal number of female athletes. Now you have women's softball and women's soccer players getting paid. And not only that, but if I pay Star QB $10m per year, I've got to pay the female players $10m per year. So some female sports teams will be uncompetitive with others, and those teams will need their own division.

Ultimately you end up with some teams in the NCAA not paying players and some in a completely separate non-NCAA professional league for all sports and the two groups never play.

I may not be alive by the time they settle this. Can the majority of schools just say no and kill it? Of course I thought I would be gone before i saw the day college players were making $4 million and look at Deion's son who isn't really that good.

Well now the 4th verse of “To Hell With georgia” doesn’t work anymore-

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the NCAA,
They're investigating Georgia players to see how much their paid,
After counting all the cars, and the loans alumni made,
They outpaid the NBA

Nah. This is just a thought starter along the lines of, "what if we had a division where you had to pay football players directly?" I could see a model where a conference develops a league minimum per player. However it's in their best interest to somehow cap the maximum, either via a salary cap, a service based salary, or a luxury tax model. If you don't, the league will quickly become uncompetitive.

At the end of the day, the players will start a union and negotiate with the schools to establish the structure of the agreement. Until that happens, we don't really know how the model will work.

One thing that complicates this is Title IX. If you pay football players directly, suddenly you have to pay an equal number of female athletes. Now you have women's softball and women's soccer players getting paid. And not only that, but if I pay Star QB $10m per year, I've got to pay the female players $10m per year. So some female sports teams will be uncompetitive with others, and those teams will need their own division.

Ultimately you end up with some teams in the NCAA not paying players and some in a completely separate non-NCAA professional league for all sports and the two groups never play.
Women’s rowing is about to explode across college campuses. Great money pit sport.

Good. Let's load the car with dynamite and floor it. The sooner college football is ruined the sooner people can see how stupid this path was and start remaking it in a sensible way.

I am not giving 1 cent for NIL or anything like it. I think all y'all who do are suckers. Tech will not win under this new system absent a megadonor.
I'm sympathetic to your position. The one good thing about this proposed solution is that the root cause of the issue (aka the money the cable networks are throwing at the conferences) can be partially routed directly to the athletes. This NIL BS is just a stopgap to try to deal with the fact the cable money can't flow directly to the athletes now. And it's an incredibly inefficient stopgap.

Back