New Tech QB Haynes King, Texas A&M to Georgia Tech

The SEC defenses reference is by the Aggieboy, not me. I love the collective eye roll from our posts on this. I think the issue was decision making as in throwing into coverage when another target is open. Considering King’s skill set, Pyron may have a battle on his hands for the starting job.
And that is good. I think that will make Pyron better in the long run. Those two can learn off of each other and push each other

The wildcard is Gibson. Looked pretty good last few games of the season.

After watching that video, I hope we're not trading one Jeff sims for another.

A perfectly valid concern. But the hype and pressure from Aggie Nation was huge this year. A #6 preseason ranking. Before the App State game my Aggie in-law saw 2022 as a springboard for the Ags championship run in 2023, and he was not alone. That’s a heavy burden for King to carry. I’m hoping he can play more relaxed and not think he has to make a big play on every snap. If so, Pyron will have a battle on his hands for the starters job.

It was interesting to hear what outside voices said about our departing and incoming quarterbacks. I still think Jeff Sims is making a big mistake to not go to a smaller school to try and regain his reputation. Nebraska fans are 100 times more unrealistic about how successful their team should be. The first time Sims fumbles, throws interceptions, misses wide open receivers the fan base will be calling for the backup.

It was interesting to hear what outside voices said about our departing and incoming quarterbacks. I still think Jeff Sims is making a big mistake to not go to a smaller school to try and regain his reputation. Nebraska fans are 100 times more unrealistic about how successful their team should be. The first time Sims fumbles, throws interceptions, misses wide open receivers the fan base will be calling for the backup.
It was interesting to me to hear those guys' evaluation of Sims' turnovers. Very many Tech fans were making excuses for him the whole time: OL like a sieve, WR not running good routes, RB's can't block pass pro, etc. all of which was true at times, but the QB has to factor all that in and not turn the ball over. IOW, he cannot play like they are, yet too many times he did. I hate it for him as he seems like a really good young man, and I hope he does well at Nebraska. We should have some good competition this spring at QB. Between Pyron, Gibson, and now King, all three have shown they can play. When is the last time we could say that with confidence? This should make all three of them even better. With Faulkner and Wienke, you have to like the QB position going forward.

We should have some good competition this spring at QB. Between Pyron, Gibson, and now King, all three have shown they can play. When is the last time we could say that with confidence? This should make all three of them even better. With Faulkner and Wienke, you have to like the QB position going forward.

I agree we have some potential but I think QB is still a big question mark as our three QBs combined for a total of eleven starts, with nine of those coming from Gibson and King, both of whom were uneven at best.

There's no doubt in my mind that we will have a serviceable backup this season, which is great. The question is if anyone can step up and be a very good starter over the course of multiple games. I'm cautiously optimistic that either Pyron or King can.

I agree we have some potential but I think QB is still a big question mark as our three QBs combined for a total of eleven starts, with nine of those coming from Gibson and King, both of whom were uneven at best.
I don't disagree with your comment, but Gibson has more starts than that from Akron alone.

Love this pickup. Guy has Jeff Sims ability with the feet and throws a good ball at times. Really would like to see him improve the arm swing this offseason. Also, a simpler passing attack under CBF should allow him to make better decisions. I see him edging Pyron for the starting job but regardless we will be improved as a room next season no doubt.

This is going to be huge. Haynes King was dynamite in high school. Yet another Jimbo Fisher mess with a quarterback. Fisher does not let QB's play, requiring them to go through multiple and by all accounts multiple, complex reads. This while trying to stand in the pocket behind a shaky offensive line. He is a dual threat, yet Bumbling Jimbo tries to make all of his QB's make sense of his chaos rather than play. He will be great at Tech.

This is going to be huge. Haynes King was dynamite in high school. Yet another Jimbo Fisher mess with a quarterback. Fisher does not let QB's play, requiring them to go through multiple and by all accounts multiple, complex reads. This while trying to stand in the pocket behind a shaky offensive line. He is a dual threat, yet Bumbling Jimbo tries to make all of his QB's make sense of his chaos rather than play. He will be great at Tech.
☝︎☝︎☝︎

I expect CBF to utilize a dual threat QB to the fullest. I saw somewhere coming out of HS he was the #5 ranked dual threat QB in the country. Hard to know yet what CBF's offense will look like. I've seen some RPO stuff from him at Arkansas State but the O looked different when at Southern Miss. But given that we obviously recruited King out of the portal, it would seem that the dual threat aspect will be a big part of the CBF offense. The kid can definitely throw as well.

Are we doing 2023 commitment posts? We had 2 or 3 commitment to us over the last 2 days but nothing posted....

☝︎☝︎☝︎

I expect CBF to utilize a dual threat QB to the fullest. I saw somewhere coming out of HS he was the #5 ranked dual threat QB in the country. Hard to know yet what CBF's offense will look like. I've seen some RPO stuff from him at Arkansas State but the O looked different when at Southern Miss. But given that we obviously recruited King out of the portal, it would seem that the dual threat aspect will be a big part of the CBF offense. The kid can definitely throw as well.

The great thing is that both King and Pyron have the ability to run a RPO or spread offense (Air Raid) with designed run type offense well.

Back