New uniforms incoming

georgiatech22

Dodd-Like
Anyone know if any of the new jersey designs were being sold during the Fan Day last weekend?

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
So I was wondering how many college football teams Russell still represents.

So I found the following on Wiki. This is interesting because I thought we broke it off with Russell. Apparently, Russell broke it off from us. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

On September 28, 2017, Russell Athletic said it would be exiting the team uniform manufacturing business after 115 years, and the company would be refocused on activewear for the consumer apparel market.[14] The company cited that companies like Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour (which all started making athletic footwear) starting their own team uniform units, and as a result eating away at Russell's market share in that department was a contributing factor in discontinuing Russell's team uniform manufacturing business. However, the company reversed course shortly after and restarted its uniform manufacturing department, via a partnership with Georgia-based company,[15] Augusta Sportswear. The agreement had been announced by both companies in June 2018.[6]
Link if you want the source.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
So I was wondering how many college football teams Russell still represents.

So I found the following on Wiki. This is interesting because I thought we broke it off with Russell. Apparently, Russell broke it off from us. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Link if you want the source.
Russell fulfilled their contract with us. We actually had a very favorable deal with them and then they decided to get out of the uniform business altogether only a couple years after our contract was signed. For the last few years of the contract we basically had a zombie company sponsoring us.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Russell fulfilled their contract with us. We actually had a very favorable deal with them and then they decided to get out of the uniform business altogether only a couple years after our contract was signed. For the last few years of the contract we basically had a zombie company sponsoring us.
I knew nothing of this and assumed tstan told Russell to hit the road. I’m more out of it than I thought.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Russell was losing money making bad uniforms for us and a few podunk colleges and decided that it’s most profitable Avenue was to focus on its Walmart offerings.

We seriously had Walmart level uniforms by the time the contract expired.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
Russell was losing money making bad uniforms for us and a few podunk colleges and decided that it’s most profitable Avenue was to focus on its Walmart offerings.

We seriously had Walmart level uniforms by the time the contract expired.
The last two years in 2015 and 2016 actually looked pretty good. Clean and basic. The worst look during those last two years was in the 2016 Gator Bowl when we trotted out with two year old 2014 gold jerseys. That was kind of sad. Completely different design. At least we kicked Kentucky's ass though.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
The last two years in 2015 and 2016 actually looked pretty good. Clean and basic. The worst look during those last two years was in the 2016 Gator Bowl when we trotted out with two year old 2014 gold jerseys. That was kind of sad. Completely different design. At least we kicked Kentucky's ass though.
It wasn't just necessarily the "look." The quality of material was dollar store at best there near the end.

mack

Dodd-Like
A public service reminder . . .

It's "Up With the White and Gold." Not "Up with the Blue and Gold."

Blue is not one of Georgia Tech's colors.

You're welcome.
agree ...blue was used by Dodd early on in his career and of course blackwatch but what in hell was wrong with old gold and white ...

OldGold75

Damn Good Rat
agree ...blue was used by Dodd early on in his career and of course blackwatch but what in hell was wrong with old gold and white ...
Nothing. From what I been told, the younger generation of athletes don’t like the 60’s & 70’s style uniforms.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Yeah, I'm not a stodgy boomer or anything, but I do not understand the fixation with blue. White and gold is a perfectly fine combination.
Yeah, I AM a stodgy boomer. Our colors are white and gold. Blue makes no more sense than green, red or purple for that matter. So why blue?

And I can live with using blue in a "special occasion" uniform. Or green, red or purple for that matter.

But using it as a primary school color in our regular rotation of uniforms? No.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Yeah, I AM a stodgy boomer. Our colors are white and gold. Blue makes no more sense than green, red or purple for that matter. So why blue?

And I can live with using blue in a "special occasion" uniform. Or green, red or purple for that matter.

It's really simple honestly. It comes down to design. White and gold are too close on the color spectrum to have a clear separation when placed next to each other. Therefore, a third, dark, color is necessary for any real design of any kind (be it jersey, signage, whatever) to work and be clearly visible. It'd be like a school having black and navy as their main colors - a lighter color like white, yellow, orange, etc would be necessary.

Therefore, this distinguishing dark color could be navy, black, etc. Some of the other colors you mention clash or aren't dark enough, but whatever. Then the question becomes not, "So why blue?," but "Why not navy?" Navy looks way better and more distinguishing than black. Black would virtually make us the aints.

Seriously though, it isn't as if navy is ever used as our main color. White and gold are used on everything a thousand times more. Why you care this much about us having a navy top and navy pants as options to mix in here and there is wild. This isn't new. We've had both navy tops and navy bottoms for years and they aren't really in our default rotation. We wear them once or twice a year. It isn't like we're Oregon busting out a thousand shades of neon greens with wild patterns all over the place. I'm much more offended by the mix of shades golds.

Personally, I like the navy tops and could go either way on the navy bottoms. I'd rather they weren't paired together, but honestly, I don't really care. We'll still read as Georgia Tech. The kids on the field like them and they aren't egregious. Again, we aren't Oregon.

ThatsWhatUrMomSaid

Benevolent Dictator

Admit it - you'd have a stroke if we took the field in "special occasion" green, red, or purple.

I, too, am old and stodgy. However, I've liked using the blue in some combo with white and gold ever since we last won a natty in blue jerseys.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I think we try too hard to do something fairly simple. I have never heard anything but the highest praise for the Thursday night white/gold/white uniforms in the Cavin Johnson era. There is also pretty strong sentiment for the gold/white/gold traditional look. Both uniforms use navy for trim, but emphasize our school colors. Wear the gold jerseys at home and white jerseys on the road, perhaps changing up on homecoming by wearing the white jerseys for that one home game.

DaDodd

Varsity Lurker
I posted this on another forum but I'm curious to hear the responses here.

For those who don't say we have a traditional uniform history, please see the photos below. And yes I am a uniform nerd. These pictures are only of the traditional template with some slight variations. I did not include the Russell templates from 2008 to 2015. Those were decent football performance years but dark uniform years. Remember the bubble wrap? The only tradition kept from 2008 from 2015 was wearing white at home. I am also not including the Adidas years 2018-present besides the blackwatch unis from 2020. Tech has traditionally always worn white at home. I will not be talking about shades of gold in this post. While important, that's a different discussion. I'm mainly focusing on the overall template. Here's a Tech uniform history lesson (minus 2008-2015, 2018-present).

THIS IS TECH'S TRADITIONAL LOOK! GWG There only a few slit differences over the years. One is the sleeve stripe pattern changed from bwgwb to bwg in the 1970. This bwg stripe pattern remained same until 2007 and brought back in 2016-2017. Tech also wore white helmets in from 1965-1966 and 1968-1971. Tech wore gold helmets wit ha bwb stipe pattern from 1967-1968 and 1972-1973. The stripe pattern on the gold pants was bwb from its inception to around 1992 and again in 2016-2017. The pattern then changed to bwgwb in 1992 until 2007. Gold numbers were only around from 1998-2002. Russell played with the number fronts for the 1999 gator bowl and had different fonts for the 2000-2001 and 2002 seasons. Tech then added "YELLOW JACKETS" across the chest in 2004-2007. While this may sound like a lot of differences it's really not. The overall look of the uniform is the same.
GT White1_page-0001.jpg

GT White 2_page-0001.jpg

Tech as worn white tops and bottoms on occasions. Once in the 1961 Gator bowl against Penn State, from 1992-1994, and 2016-2017. Again I am not including the Russell uniforms from 2008-2015.
GT All White_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn gold uniforms early on but were only worn on rare occasions until the mid 1960s. Tech wore gold jerseys with white numbers and blue numbers from around 1965-1971. These were worn with white pants with the bgb stipe pattern and mostly with the white helmet but the gold helmet was also used. The most of these gold jerseys has a bwb sleeve cuff stripe pattern but some others didn't. After the NCAA home uniform rule was changed in 1994 Tech brought back the gold uniform and was used as the home jersey for the 1994 season. In 1995 they went back to wearing white at home. Gold jerseys were only worn for bowl games or the the away team chose to wear white from 1997 to 2002 with white remaining the primary home jersey. From 2003 to 2007 Tech wore gold jerseys at home. "YELLOW JACKETS" was added to the chest in 2004. The gold jerseys has a bgw sleeve stripe pattern with the sleeve cuff being blue and a single white stripe above it.
GT Gold_page-0001.jpg

In 1983 the NCAA made a rule that all home teams must wear a dark pigment jersey. This eliminated wearing white OR GOLD jerseys for home games. That is why Tech started wearing black and navy. Because they had to. If not for this rule we probably would have never seen Tech wear black or navy jerseys consistently. Tech wore black jerseys has a gbw sleeve stipe pattern and were worn with the gold pants and gold helmets. Obviously special defensive players had a black "GT"s and a single think black stripe on their helmet as a part of the Blackwatch defence.
GT Black_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn navy blue jerseys going way back but when Dodd came in Tech mostly wore white. There were a few games under Dodd were Tech wore navy blue jerseys in the same template as their white uniforms with gold pants. Trying to go back to traditional secondary colors, Tech changed their black jerseys to navy blue around 1987. These jerseys also has the gbw sleeve stripe pattern. Tech wore the blue jerseys with white pants and gold helmets and are best known for the 1990 National Championship year. From 1992 to 1993 Tech wore gold pants with the blue jerseys. After the partial NCAA rule change in 1994 Tech no longer had to wear dark pigmented home jerseys and so they Tech stopped wearing them and wore gold at home for the 1994 season. In 1995 with help from LSU the NCAA changed the home color rule allowing teams to wear white at home only if they get permission from the away opponent before the season. The blues were brought back for the 2006 ACC championship and the the 1990 anniversary game (although the pants had the wrong stripe pattern and the jerseys didn't have shoulder numbers. Typical Russell).
GT Navy_page-0001.jpg

Tech had a constant template and overall uniform for decades until Russell got cute and ruined it until they redeemed themselves their last two years. Tech had to wear black and navy due to rules outside of their control. If Tech never won a natty in the blues we may have never seen them again. I am glad we on that natty and I think we should where the GBW at least one game a year or for bowl games. But that's it. GGW should be worn for one or two games a year. (Homecoming, UGA at home, or when an away team chooses to wear white) But that's it. All other games home and way should be GWG. Because that has been our traditionally identity. Keep it simple.

Here's an article about the 1983 NCAA home color rule and how LSU helped reverse it in 1995.