New uniforms incoming

Yeah, I AM a stodgy boomer. Our colors are white and gold. Blue makes no more sense than green, red or purple for that matter. So why blue?

And I can live with using blue in a "special occasion" uniform. Or green, red or purple for that matter.

But using it as a primary school color in our regular rotation of uniforms? No.
Clint Castleberry wore blue.

I posted this on another forum but I'm curious to hear the responses here.

For those who don't say we have a traditional uniform history, please see the photos below. And yes I am a uniform nerd. These pictures are only of the traditional template with some slight variations. I did not include the Russell templates from 2008 to 2015. Those were decent football performance years but dark uniform years. Remember the bubble wrap? The only tradition kept from 2008 from 2015 was wearing white at home. I am also not including the Adidas years 2018-present besides the blackwatch unis from 2020. Tech has traditionally always worn white at home. I will not be talking about shades of gold in this post. While important, that's a different discussion. I'm mainly focusing on the overall template. Here's a Tech uniform history lesson (minus 2008-2015, 2018-present).

THIS IS TECH'S TRADITIONAL LOOK! GWG There only a few slit differences over the years. One is the sleeve stripe pattern changed from bwgwb to bwg in the 1970. This bwg stripe pattern remained same until 2007 and brought back in 2016-2017. Tech also wore white helmets in from 1965-1966 and 1968-1971. Tech wore gold helmets wit ha bwb stipe pattern from 1967-1968 and 1972-1973. The stripe pattern on the gold pants was bwb from its inception to around 1992 and again in 2016-2017. The pattern then changed to bwgwb in 1992 until 2007. Gold numbers were only around from 1998-2002. Russell played with the number fronts for the 1999 gator bowl and had different fonts for the 2000-2001 and 2002 seasons. Tech then added "YELLOW JACKETS" across the chest in 2004-2007. While this may sound like a lot of differences it's really not. The overall look of the uniform is the same.
GT White1_page-0001.jpg

GT White 2_page-0001.jpg

Tech as worn white tops and bottoms on occasions. Once in the 1961 Gator bowl against Penn State, from 1992-1994, and 2016-2017. Again I am not including the Russell uniforms from 2008-2015.
GT All White_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn gold uniforms early on but were only worn on rare occasions until the mid 1960s. Tech wore gold jerseys with white numbers and blue numbers from around 1965-1971. These were worn with white pants with the bgb stipe pattern and mostly with the white helmet but the gold helmet was also used. The most of these gold jerseys has a bwb sleeve cuff stripe pattern but some others didn't. After the NCAA home uniform rule was changed in 1994 Tech brought back the gold uniform and was used as the home jersey for the 1994 season. In 1995 they went back to wearing white at home. Gold jerseys were only worn for bowl games or the the away team chose to wear white from 1997 to 2002 with white remaining the primary home jersey. From 2003 to 2007 Tech wore gold jerseys at home. "YELLOW JACKETS" was added to the chest in 2004. The gold jerseys has a bgw sleeve stripe pattern with the sleeve cuff being blue and a single white stripe above it.
GT Gold_page-0001.jpg

In 1983 the NCAA made a rule that all home teams must wear a dark pigment jersey. This eliminated wearing white OR GOLD jerseys for home games. That is why Tech started wearing black and navy. Because they had to. If not for this rule we probably would have never seen Tech wear black or navy jerseys consistently. Tech wore black jerseys has a gbw sleeve stipe pattern and were worn with the gold pants and gold helmets. Obviously special defensive players had a black "GT"s and a single think black stripe on their helmet as a part of the Blackwatch defence.
GT Black_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn navy blue jerseys going way back but when Dodd came in Tech mostly wore white. There were a few games under Dodd were Tech wore navy blue jerseys in the same template as their white uniforms with gold pants. Trying to go back to traditional secondary colors, Tech changed their black jerseys to navy blue around 1987. These jerseys also has the gbw sleeve stripe pattern. Tech wore the blue jerseys with white pants and gold helmets and are best known for the 1990 National Championship year. From 1992 to 1993 Tech wore gold pants with the blue jerseys. After the partial NCAA rule change in 1994 Tech no longer had to wear dark pigmented home jerseys and so they Tech stopped wearing them and wore gold at home for the 1994 season. In 1995 with help from LSU the NCAA changed the home color rule allowing teams to wear white at home only if they get permission from the away opponent before the season. The blues were brought back for the 2006 ACC championship and the the 1990 anniversary game (although the pants had the wrong stripe pattern and the jerseys didn't have shoulder numbers. Typical Russell).
GT Navy_page-0001.jpg

Tech had a constant template and overall uniform for decades until Russell got cute and ruined it until they redeemed themselves their last two years. Tech had to wear black and navy due to rules outside of their control. If Tech never won a natty in the blues we may have never seen them again. I am glad we on that natty and I think we should where the GBW at least one game a year or for bowl games. But that's it. GGW should be worn for one or two games a year. (Homecoming, UGA at home, or when an away team chooses to wear white) But that's it. All other games home and way should be GWG. Because that has been our traditionally identity. Keep it simple.

Here's an article about the 1983 NCAA home color rule and how LSU helped reverse it in 1995.

Great post! Love most all of these jerseys/combos. Hated the years you left out as well. Agreed, dark times.

I dislike the number font Adidas has given us (and the incorporation of the metallic gold - which is just another shade of gold to not match the others), but like that we have a mostly traditional look again. I do hope we stay away from any matching top and bottom looks (white on white is meh, but can't stand gold on gold or navy on navy), but am pretty good with pretty much any other combo. I don't love the navy on gold look, but it's not the worst thing.

I posted this on another forum but I'm curious to hear the responses here.

For those who don't say we have a traditional uniform history, please see the photos below. And yes I am a uniform nerd. These pictures are only of the traditional template with some slight variations. I did not include the Russell templates from 2008 to 2015. Those were decent football performance years but dark uniform years. Remember the bubble wrap? The only tradition kept from 2008 from 2015 was wearing white at home. I am also not including the Adidas years 2018-present besides the blackwatch unis from 2020. Tech has traditionally always worn white at home. I will not be talking about shades of gold in this post. While important, that's a different discussion. I'm mainly focusing on the overall template. Here's a Tech uniform history lesson (minus 2008-2015, 2018-present).

THIS IS TECH'S TRADITIONAL LOOK! GWG There only a few slit differences over the years. One is the sleeve stripe pattern changed from bwgwb to bwg in the 1970. This bwg stripe pattern remained same until 2007 and brought back in 2016-2017. Tech also wore white helmets in from 1965-1966 and 1968-1971. Tech wore gold helmets wit ha bwb stipe pattern from 1967-1968 and 1972-1973. The stripe pattern on the gold pants was bwb from its inception to around 1992 and again in 2016-2017. The pattern then changed to bwgwb in 1992 until 2007. Gold numbers were only around from 1998-2002. Russell played with the number fronts for the 1999 gator bowl and had different fonts for the 2000-2001 and 2002 seasons. Tech then added "YELLOW JACKETS" across the chest in 2004-2007. While this may sound like a lot of differences it's really not. The overall look of the uniform is the same.
GT White1_page-0001.jpg

GT White 2_page-0001.jpg

Tech as worn white tops and bottoms on occasions. Once in the 1961 Gator bowl against Penn State, from 1992-1994, and 2016-2017. Again I am not including the Russell uniforms from 2008-2015.
GT All White_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn gold uniforms early on but were only worn on rare occasions until the mid 1960s. Tech wore gold jerseys with white numbers and blue numbers from around 1965-1971. These were worn with white pants with the bgb stipe pattern and mostly with the white helmet but the gold helmet was also used. The most of these gold jerseys has a bwb sleeve cuff stripe pattern but some others didn't. After the NCAA home uniform rule was changed in 1994 Tech brought back the gold uniform and was used as the home jersey for the 1994 season. In 1995 they went back to wearing white at home. Gold jerseys were only worn for bowl games or the the away team chose to wear white from 1997 to 2002 with white remaining the primary home jersey. From 2003 to 2007 Tech wore gold jerseys at home. "YELLOW JACKETS" was added to the chest in 2004. The gold jerseys has a bgw sleeve stripe pattern with the sleeve cuff being blue and a single white stripe above it.
GT Gold_page-0001.jpg

In 1983 the NCAA made a rule that all home teams must wear a dark pigment jersey. This eliminated wearing white OR GOLD jerseys for home games. That is why Tech started wearing black and navy. Because they had to. If not for this rule we probably would have never seen Tech wear black or navy jerseys consistently. Tech wore black jerseys has a gbw sleeve stipe pattern and were worn with the gold pants and gold helmets. Obviously special defensive players had a black "GT"s and a single think black stripe on their helmet as a part of the Blackwatch defence.
GT Black_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn navy blue jerseys going way back but when Dodd came in Tech mostly wore white. There were a few games under Dodd were Tech wore navy blue jerseys in the same template as their white uniforms with gold pants. Trying to go back to traditional secondary colors, Tech changed their black jerseys to navy blue around 1987. These jerseys also has the gbw sleeve stripe pattern. Tech wore the blue jerseys with white pants and gold helmets and are best known for the 1990 National Championship year. From 1992 to 1993 Tech wore gold pants with the blue jerseys. After the partial NCAA rule change in 1994 Tech no longer had to wear dark pigmented home jerseys and so they Tech stopped wearing them and wore gold at home for the 1994 season. In 1995 with help from LSU the NCAA changed the home color rule allowing teams to wear white at home only if they get permission from the away opponent before the season. The blues were brought back for the 2006 ACC championship and the the 1990 anniversary game (although the pants had the wrong stripe pattern and the jerseys didn't have shoulder numbers. Typical Russell).
GT Navy_page-0001.jpg

Tech had a constant template and overall uniform for decades until Russell got cute and ruined it until they redeemed themselves their last two years. Tech had to wear black and navy due to rules outside of their control. If Tech never won a natty in the blues we may have never seen them again. I am glad we on that natty and I think we should where the GBW at least one game a year or for bowl games. But that's it. GGW should be worn for one or two games a year. (Homecoming, UGA at home, or when an away team chooses to wear white) But that's it. All other games home and way should be GWG. Because that has been our traditionally identity. Keep it simple.

Here's an article about the 1983 NCAA home color rule and how LSU helped reverse it in 1995.
This is without doubt the best uniform post I've ever read. One of the best football related forum posts also. Well done.

Great post! Love most all of these jerseys/combos. Hated the years you left out as well. Agreed, dark times.

I dislike the number font Adidas has given us (and the incorporation of the metallic gold - which is just another shade of gold to not match the others), but like that we have a mostly traditional look again. I do hope we stay away from any matching top and bottom looks (white on white is meh, but can't stand gold on gold or navy on navy), but am pretty good with pretty much any other combo. I don't love the navy on gold look, but it's not the worst thing.
Agreed on the gold on gold and blue on blue, but WWW is fire.

Admit it - you'd have a stroke if we took the field in "special occasion" green, red, or purple.

I, too, am old and stodgy. However, I've liked using the blue in some combo with white and gold ever since we last won a natty in blue jerseys.
Not true. If we are ever good enough again to preen over them, I would LOVE to see us wear red and white jerseys with gold pants at home against the mutts just one time just to öööö with those assholes. Imagine Tech beating down those ööööers wearing their own ööööing color against them. Epic. Same goes with wearing green and white tops and gold pants against the ööööing Irish.

And I really wouldn't have a problem with black accents on the unis, e.g., outlining the numerals, for contrast. As any Tech man knows, black isn't a color - it's the absence of color. Leaving two colors: gold and white. As it should be.

Not true. If we are ever good enough again to preen over them, I would LOVE to see us wear red and white jerseys with gold pants at home against the mutts just one time just to öööö with those assholes. Imagine Tech beating down those ööööers wearing their own ööööing color against them. Epic. Same goes with wearing green and white tops and gold pants against the ööööing Irish.

Love this!!!

If I had things my way, this is how I would do it. I think it can please everyone. There are plenty of combinations that pay homage to the past while still making the traditional GWG the predominate look to solidify the brand. This formula for uniform combos can easily apply to all schedules moving forward. Most schools do this and it let the fan know that to expect before the season. Even Oregon does one.
2022 GT UNIFORM SCHEDULE2.jpg

If I had things my way, this is how I would do it. I think it can please everyone. There are plenty of combinations that pay homage to the past while still making the traditional GWG the predominate look to solidify the brand. This formula for uniform combos can easily apply to all schedules moving forward. Most schools do this and it let the fan know that to expect before the season. Even Oregon does one.
Bowl game! <snort>

No GWG at home after September? :chad:

I prefer GWG for all twelve games, home and away. See O’Leary “Back to our roots” in 1995, and the 2014 season. .:bigthumbup:

No GWG at home after September? :chad:

I prefer GWG for all twelve games, home and away. See O’Leary “Back to our roots” in 1995, and the 2014 season. .:bigthumbup:
I see your point. That's just how the schedule lined it up this year having all those late season away games. I wouldn't mind GWG for all twelve games. But that would piss some people off. I think GWG for 8 games is a decent compromise. I'd be willing to just have homecoming be GGW and senior day be GWG if we are not playing uga. I'm ok with getting rid of the whiteout game to. We haven't had it since 2019 and it was only started in 2008. But it is still a cool new tradition.

Thought about it I changed my mind to simply it even more. Here is a Uniform Schedule Standard that could be used each.
GT UNIFORM SCHEDULE STANDARD.jpg

I think using GBW for the FCS opponent will hopefully draw more of a crowd or a less exciting game. If there is no Thursday home game that season then no whiteout game.

Here's how it would have applied to the 2019 schedule and this years schedule.
219 ex.PNG
2022 GT UNIFORM SCHEDULE3.jpg

I think this keeps it simple and fans will always know that to expect each season. Let me know your thoughts.

If we actually make a Bowl Game, I won't say one word about all blue unis.

Back