Next GT head Coach

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I think he meant head coaches, not assistants. Briles, Sumlin and Herman are three of their four last HC's. The fourth is a guy named Tony Levine whom they fired and who now runs a Chick-fil-A. (Major Applewhite is their current HC.)

I know a really wealthy Houston alum. They hate that they can't seem to hold on to a good coach. Herman had a 'lifetime'-type contract there, but the lure of a NC is a powerful one.
Major Applewhite would be a good guy to go after, as well.

saxondawg

Varsity Lurker
IF Johnson goes anywhere—and to me, the improving arc of this season makes it a bit less certain—the grand slam would be the kind of big name people throw out in threads like this one. Those happen as rarely as . . . well, grand slams. Call it Gruden Syndrome. The home run hire would be finding the next Scott Frost. If Central Florida found the last one, why can't Tech find the next one? Point is, everyone wants "proven." What Tech NEEDS is "hungry." Somebody who never goes home, who will not settle for failing to get his share of the UGA high school talent. Young enough to actually know what social media is, and how to use it with recruits; also to leverage the great setting of midtown Atlanta as an actual asset. He won't overcome every single obstacle GT has pertainong modern college football, but just the right kind of aggressive alpha-jacket mode would overcome of them.

There's an object lesson in (cringe) Dabo. You thought he was a joke, I did, too. And in a lot of ways—he is. But he wasn't any superstar when they promoted him. He was a receivers coach. I don't remember, but their fans must have howled. That hiring seemed like an apathetic extension of Tommy Bowden. Now, sure, Clemson is obviously not Georgia Tech. Still, they hadn't been relevant in a good while (Tommy West . . . Ken Hatfield . . .). If it's so easy at Clemson, why did the previous three guys screw up so badly? Who knows, Nate Woody isn't a "young guy," but maybe he's the Dabo you promote.

IF Johnson goes anywhere—and to me, the improving arc of this season makes it a bit less certain—the grand slam would be the kind of big name people throw out in threads like this one. Those happen as rarely as . . . well, grand slams. Call it Gruden Syndrome. The home run hire would be finding the next Scott Frost. If Central Florida found the last one, why can't Tech find the next one? Point is, everyone wants "proven." What Tech NEEDS is "hungry." Somebody who never goes home, who will not settle for failing to get his share of the UGA high school talent. Young enough to actually know what social media is, and how to use it with recruits; also to leverage the great setting of midtown Atlanta as an actual asset. He won't overcome every single obstacle GT has pertainong modern college football, but just the right kind of aggressive alpha-jacket mode would overcome of them.

There's an object lesson in (cringe) Dabo. You thought he was a joke, I did, too. And in a lot of ways—he is. But he wasn't any superstar when they promoted him. He was a receivers coach. I don't remember, but their fans must have howled. That hiring seemed like an apathetic extension of Tommy Bowden. Now, sure, Clemson is obviously not Georgia Tech. Still, they hadn't been relevant in a good while (Tommy West . . . Ken Hatfield . . .). If it's so easy at Clemson, why did the previous three guys screw up so badly? Who knows, Nate Woody isn't a "young guy," but maybe he's the Dabo you promote.
Woody is the Dabo we deserve, but not the Dabo we need right now.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
Just to throw this out there - Paul Johnson beat Dabo Swinney 4 times in his first five years. I'd say it took Dabo five years to get the funding he needed from Clemson alums to pay for... I mean find the right players for his system.

He was a joke.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?

I think most smart folks are already thinking along these lines. If Nate Woody can put a solid defense on the field, and current results seem to indicate that the team is slowly getting it, then he'd be a natural to be promoted to HC down the road. And replace CPJ with an OC that can do the same thing that CNW's doing with the defense.

Jacketfan1

Varsity Lurker
Just to throw this out there - Paul Johnson beat Dabo Swinney 4 times in his first five years. I'd say it took Dabo five years to get the funding he needed from Clemson alums to pay for... I mean find the right players for his system.

He was a joke.
you mean the funding to hire the right people. Dabo is mostly successful , not all, but because of Brent Venables defense!

saxondawg

Varsity Lurker
you mean the funding to hire the right people. Dabo is mostly successful , not all, but because of Brent Venables defense!
Was gonna bring that up. Easy to laugh at Dabo, who baptizes new believers at practice. His secret has been superior coordinators, even if his player talent level hasn't hurt. FSU isn't lacking in talent this year. The 2000 UGA team you guys trounced in Athens was loaded with NFL players, while Tech had few. Mark Bradley wrote at the time about a pro scout pointing out to him the talent disparity to him in the press box as GT dismantled the team of future millionaires. Clemson is well-coached.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Mark Bradley wrote at the time about a pro scout pointing out to him the talent disparity to him in the press box as GT dismantled the team of future millionaires.
Round here people are pretty adamant about this... that there were surely more future millionaires on the GT team than on the UGA team. They just went pro in something other than football.

F

flushed 01

I think he would merit consideration.

olgoldandwhite

Dodd-Like
Wake me up when the next coach recruits a defense loaded with NFL prospects........and the HILL let’s them in.

saxondawg

Varsity Lurker
Round here people are pretty adamant about this... that there were surely more future millionaires on the GT team than on the UGA team. They just went pro in something other than football.
Point taken.