Next GT head Coach

johncu

Dodd-Like
He really didn't get a fair shake at UT. Mack Brown's recruiting classes stunk. Many of the older players didn't want to play for him. Many of the donors didn't want him to begin with. He ended up getting good recruiting classes, but 3 years is not enough time to build that program. His first recruiting class were juniors when he left, many of whom went in the draft or UDFA last year.

There was a lot of talk in Austin about firing Tom Herman after the Maryland game. Expectations there are unrealistic.

I think that if he were head coach at Tech, we would see recruiting improve. He is a player's coach and relates incredibly well with high school athletes. I also think that he needs good coordinators under him (like any coach). That's the problem with Tech right now as I see it. We used to be able to take 2-3 stars and coach them up so that when they are juniors/seniors they were pretty good. I don't see any of our coordinators ready to make the move to a head coach somewhere.
I do think Charlie Strong would improve recruiting, but I'm not sure what makes us think we could suddenly afford good coordinators. Other than a few notable exceptions, our coordinators have been garbage for a looong time. We don't even have to hire an OC since CPJ calls plays, but we still don't pay our assistants öööö and it handicaps us every time we're searching.

I think the last thing we need is a coach who lacks in the X's and O's department. Not speaking specifically about Strong here, just in general. If we went that route, I'd be afraid that Gailey 2.0 would be best-case scenario. We will NEVER recruit well enough to even compete with the big boys without a schematic advantage, so I think that needs to be a priority when searching.

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I like Charlie Strong for the cultural fit; I think he failed at texas because he wanted to bring the "Total Man" approach to a bunch of guys that didn't care about anything but football. I think it would work better here.

I like Mike Leach because he's a great coach and innovative on the offensive side of the ball. I also like his attitude and think he was railroaded out of Texas Tech. Anyone that can do really well at Washington State is a good coach.

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Colrado was 1-11 the year before he arrived. His fourth season at Colorado, he went 10-4 and won the PAC South with wins over Stanford and UCLA. They dropped back to 5-7 last year but he appears to have them back on track this season.
San Jose State was 2-10 the year before he arrived. His fourth season at San Jose State, he went 10-2 and left for Colorado.
I think he is as likely to succeed as any of the other potential options.
He sounds like Paul Johnson / Navy.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I like Charlie Strong for the cultural fit; I think he failed at texas because he wanted to bring the "Total Man" approach to a bunch of guys that didn't care about anything but football. I think it would work better here.

I like Mike Leach because he's a great coach and innovative on the offensive side of the ball. I also like his attitude and think he was railroaded out of Texas Tech. Anyone that can do really well at Washington State is a good coach.
When Strong was at Texas, he immediately banned his players from making the hook'em sign and took the logos off the practice helmets. His deal was that you had to earn the right to be a longhorn. I suspect they thought it was corny out there and it probably didn't win him any respect on the team, but that approach could play well elsewhere where the athletes aren't so entitled.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Paul Johnson, GEORGIA TECH
Buyout: $4 million
Tech is trending toward another losing season at 3-4, and there’s little juice in the program. Paul Johnson has had a great run there, as he’s 79-58 over his 11 seasons. But with Georgia’s program building into a rocket ship and Tech failing to exploit a vulnerable ACC, Johnson’s run feels like it’s trending toward the end.

Athletic director Todd Stansbury has been back on campus since 2016, and there’s an increasing feeling that he’s anxious to get football more nationally relevant. Johnson is 61, which makes retirement a possibility. His buyout is also structured to be paid per season, which makes this reasonable for Georgia Tech.

Prediction: There’s a strong feeling in the industry that this opens, as Johnson’s program has gone stale. Look for the opposite of the option to come here, with someone like Washington State’s Mike Leach or Appalachian State’s Scott Satterfield perhaps emerging.
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sport...louisville-afford-fire-coaches-221145594.html

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I really didn't think Tech was well respected enough to get Leach or Satterfield. Has me puffing my chest out. Not sure we can, but at least someone thinks we might could get them. I like Leach.
Washington State isn't exactly a prime job even though Leach has turned them into a decent program. Historically, they have been pretty bad. We could get Satterfield depending on what other offers he may have.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I understand but you could say the same about our AD. McIntyre is not a perfect choice but he is one of the few P5 coaches who might consider coming to Tech and he has the best resume of the coaches with a Tech background.
How do you know he might consider coming to GT?

And one of the biggest mistakes we could make would be to hire someone with Tech ties.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I really didn't think Tech was well respected enough to get Leach or Satterfield. Has me puffing my chest out. Not sure we can, but at least someone thinks we might could get them. I like Leach.
I have no idea if Leach would be interested in us, but think about how difficult it is to recruit to Wash. St., compared to Atlanta.

But honestly I'm not sure Mike Leach has the right personality for Tech. Dude's even worse than CPJ about suffering fools gladly. We might have run out of patience for chip-on-the-shoulder coaches who haven't *quite* earned the right to be so difficult... even if they pass all the time instead of running all the time.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
How do you know he might consider coming to GT?

And one of the biggest mistakes we could make would be to hire someone with Tech ties.
I will never understand it. MacIntyre didn't even have a noteworthy career here and got as far away as he could thereafter.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I have no idea if Leach would be interested in us, but think about how difficult it is to recruit to Wash. St., compared to Atlanta.

But honestly I'm not sure Mike Leach has the right personality for Tech. Dude's even worse than CPJ about suffering fools gladly. We might have run out of patience for chip-on-the-shoulder coaches who haven't *quite* earned the right to be so difficult.
Definitely better recruiting ground even with admissions standards factored in.

I like Leach and he has a funky offense that won't turn off recruits.

I can't decide if his cantankerous nature is a good or bad thing. I can picture poor Ken sobbing in the corner after a Leach presser.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
WaSt has no tradition nor history and is in a forgettable location and TV Market. GT is an upgrade.

Satterfield should pay us to hire him. App St is barely removed from FCS days. GT is a huge upgrade.

Both would be happy to coach here. It'd be a huge career boost for Satterfield, currently coaching in bumöööö Daniel Boone, NC.