Next GT head Coach

What is so bad about losing to Kansas?

A couple of teams have.
That's cold. But seriously, can anyone want this guy? Aside from the result of a single game played a few weeks ago... there's absolutely nothing about Charlie Strong's resume that suggests he's a better coach than CPJ. Dude had a losing record at the world's richest CFB program in the world's most-talented CFB state with the world's fewest CFP recruiting-restrictions. The one year Louisville won a Big 6 bowl under his regime, they didn't even finish in the Top 10.

Charlie Strong 16-21 at Texas and lost to Kansas.
If you've spent much time in Austin you'll know that there are a whole lot of things that go on with that school that are unique to UT Athletics. A lot of weird donor and political pressure that you don't find at most schools.

That's cold. But seriously, can anyone want this guy? Aside from the result of a single game played a few weeks ago... there's absolutely nothing about Charlie Strong's resume that suggests he's a better coach than CPJ. Dude had a losing record at the world's richest CFB program in the world's most-talented CFB state with the world's fewest CFP recruiting-restrictions. The one year Louisville won a Big 6 bowl under his regime, they didn't even finish in the Top 10.

Many people say (and I realize that is a weak form of evidence) that he didn't get a fair shake there and was kneecapped by some of the big money folks who never wanted him hired to begin with. I have no idea, myself. I think he's a pretty good coach and would be cautiously optimistic if he came here, even though he isn't high on my wish list. I think he'd be "solid". He will probably be in line for another shot at a P5 job after this year or next, so I won't be surprised if we take a look at him.

Many people say (and I realize that is a weak form of evidence) that he didn't get a fair shake there and was kneecapped by some of the big money folks who never wanted him hired to begin with. I have no idea, myself. I think he's a pretty good coach and would be cautiously optimistic if he came here, even though he isn't high on my wish list. I think he'd be "solid". He will probably be in line for another shot at a P5 job after this year or next, so I won't be surprised if we take a look at him.
I'm not sure I agree. If somebody can't deal with too much money and too many donors and too much enthusiasm, I don't really want to give them a shot at our problems of too little money and too few donors and too little enthusiasm. I don't know if he gets an other shot at P5 or not, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't angle for it. He might've learned from Louisville that sometimes big fish/small pond beats the expectations of a P5 program. I mean, it's not like G5 coaches don't make plenty of money. The only real issue is how badly he wants to 'prove his doubters wrong' by getting to the CFP, something obviously way harder at USF than a P5 school.

So he was Channed at Texas, huh?

He really didn't get a fair shake at UT. Mack Brown's recruiting classes stunk. Many of the older players didn't want to play for him. Many of the donors didn't want him to begin with. He ended up getting good recruiting classes, but 3 years is not enough time to build that program. His first recruiting class were juniors when he left, many of whom went in the draft or UDFA last year.

There was a lot of talk in Austin about firing Tom Herman after the Maryland game. Expectations there are unrealistic.

I think that if he were head coach at Tech, we would see recruiting improve. He is a player's coach and relates incredibly well with high school athletes. I also think that he needs good coordinators under him (like any coach). That's the problem with Tech right now as I see it. We used to be able to take 2-3 stars and coach them up so that when they are juniors/seniors they were pretty good. I don't see any of our coordinators ready to make the move to a head coach somewhere.

Last edited:
Brohm is a tailor made Petrino replacement for Louisville. Dream on.

Being realistic .... if the decision were up to me: HC: Scott Satterfield. DC: Nate Woody. OC/RC: Brent Key. If things don't work out for Satterfield simply upgrade Brent Key to HC. I would also hire Charles Kelly for whatever lesser defensive/ST position he can be slotted in so that he can be part of the recruiting staff. Find a similar spot for a recent GT-NFL connection on the offense (Godsey, Calvin, Tashard .... there's plenty to choose from here).

I think you want a mix of non-GT perspectives, people who motivate and maximize talent, people who have been letter winners and understand the challenge, and people who can recruit. You're not going to get all that in one hire. So you make it a package deal.

I'm not sure I agree. If somebody can't deal with too much money and too many donors and too much enthusiasm, I don't really want to give them a shot at our problems of too little money and too few donors and too little enthusiasm. I don't know if he gets an other shot at P5 or not, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't angle for it. He might've learned from Louisville that sometimes big fish/small pond beats the expectations of a P5 program. I mean, it's not like G5 coaches don't make plenty of money. The only real issue is how badly he wants to 'prove his doubters wrong' by getting to the CFP, something obviously way harder at USF than a P5 school.

All fair reservations. I think his non-P5 head coaching resume is probably comparable to the up n' comers we are looking at. I am not sure what to make of his Texas tenure, but I don't think it proves he can't do it at this level. I wouldn't be super hyped nor particularly disappointed if he came here.

Out of curiosity, I checked out his contract. He is only getting a meager 1 mil per year total compensation (500 k base salary!) from USF the first 2 years while Texas has to pay him about 5 million per year. Starting next year, his salary jumps to 2.5 million, but he gets no more money from Texas. USF basically stealing a coach for 2 years on Texas' dime. If he takes another job, USF is owed 2.5 million.

Dunno what his ambitions are at 58 years old, but he waited a long time for a shot, so wouldn't be surprised if he took one more.

All fair reservations. I think his non-P5 head coaching resume is probably comparable to the up n' comers we are looking at. I am not sure what to make of his Texas tenure, but I don't think it proves he can't do it at this level. I wouldn't be super hyped nor particularly disappointed if he came here.

Out of curiosity, I checked out his contract. He is only getting a meager 1 mil per year total compensation (500 k base salary!) from USF the first 2 years while Texas has to pay him about 5 million per year. Starting next year, his salary jumps to 2.5 million, but he gets no more money from Texas. USF basically stealing a coach for 2 years on Texas' dime. If he takes another job, USF is owed 2.5 million.

Dunno what his ambitions are at 58 years old, but he waited a long time for a shot, so wouldn't be surprised if he took one more.
Wow, he's getting paid not much less than CPJ is getting paid. USF is serious. A lot of the new programs are serious.

Well, the first thing to me is that if CPJ does not make a Massive turn around this year, then we have got to let him go.

11 years is more than enough time.

Buyout? It will cost us much more to keep him (Ticket sales, recruiting failures, donations, etc.) than fire him if he doesn’t turn it now, imo.

Facilities? The arms race never ends. We are behind some now - we are ahead of some now. In a few years, when AI2020 is successfully completed, guess what? We will then be ahead of some & we will still be behind others.

As to a new coach - because someone is winning someplace now does not mean they will win here.

Because someone is losing someplace now does not mean they will lose here.

At one time Dodd, Bryant, Bowden, Royal, Wilkinson, Hayes, Dabo, Saban, dooley were all asst coaches that were 0 - 0 as head coaches.

TStan has got to get the job done, and hiring someone who is “familiar” with GT is not something that should be in the top ten of requirements to be hired.

Back