Next GT head Coach

Just looking at conference records, since OOC is misleading due to huge variation in opponent quality:

MacIntyre conference records:
1-8
0-9
1-8
8-1
2-7

Johnson conference records;
5-3
7-1
4-4
5-3
5-3
5-3
6-2
1-7
4-4
4-4

We should fire the guy who's had losing seasons 10% of the time to hire the guy who's had losing seasons 80% of the time?
I think @BrentwoodJacket is operating from within the assumption that CPJ is getting fired, and speculating about his replacement.

Almost no body we are considering has a better objective "resume" than CPJ. The point is that for whatever reason, CPJ seems to be getting a little stale. And if he's going to go for whatever reason, who should we consider to replace him?

That said, I'd need to pay a lot more attention to MacIntyre before I'd be excited about him.

I think @BrentwoodJacket is operating from within the assumption that CPJ is getting fired, and speculating about his replacement.

Almost no body we are considering has a better objective "resume" than CPJ. The point is that for whatever reason, CPJ seems to be getting a little stale. And if he's going to go for whatever reason, who should we consider to replace him?

That said, I'd need to pay a lot more attention to MacIntyre before I'd be excited about him.
I understand that. I'm just saying that I don't think MacIntyre would make sense at this point. I don't see how following up a great season with a last place finish indicates any type of positive trend, especially since it was his 5th season so he had a full squad of his own players.

Honestly I don't think a retread coach makes sense. GT is a very difficult place to win, so why we hire someone who has struggled with more resources? I'd rather take a risk on a young guy with an innovative approach but a lack of big time experience.

IF CPJ is fired we will get a coach and I'm fine if it's someone with GT ties. I just surely hope the guy we get is the best choice for GT. Don't wish for us to hire someone because of their GT background. I feel if this is important you are limiting your coaching pool for no good reason. I do believe bringing in a guy like GOL or whomever to assist with finding a coach could be good.

And any self respecting person with Tech ties should know better than to go anywhere near 5 down getting, phantom blocking call getting, national championship stealing ööööfaced colorado. öööö him.
Maybe he’s trying to bury the Colorado program and just doing a crappy job at it this year :dunno:

Honestly I don't think a retread coach makes sense. GT is a very difficult place to win, so why we hire someone who has struggled with more resources? I'd rather take a risk on a young guy with an innovative approach but a lack of big time experience.
I agree completely with this. The hard part is identifying these off-the-radar guys, and predicting how they'll translate to the quite different stresses of GT, the ACC, P5 ball, Atlanta, etc.

My perspective is that we will have to hire a new coach within the next three years either because CPJ is fired or retires. I was just trying to identify possible candidates. We are not likely to be the most attractive job available. A coach associated with GT might be more likely to accept the challenge and might have more insight in how to succeed. I am not sure that any secure P5 coach would leave their current job for GT without assurances that the recruiting restrictions would be addressed.

My perspective is that we will have to hire a new coach within the next three years either because CPJ is fired or retires. I was just trying to identify possible candidates. We are not likely to be the most attractive job available. A coach associated with GT might be more likely to accept the challenge and might have more insight in how to succeed. I am not sure that any secure P5 coach would leave their current job for GT without assurances that the recruiting restrictions would be addressed.

No disrespect, but I don't see how a guy playing football here 30 years ago would give him any insights as to what it takes to win here today. Also, the first thing McIntyre did when he graduated was go enroll and take a job as a Graduate Assistant at uga. His record at Colorado is not good, overall. I am not opposed to a Tech guy in theory, but none have the resume.

Our coaching pool will likely consist of G5 head coaches and P5 coordinators.

Last edited:
No disrespect, but I don't see how a guy playing football here 30 years ago would give him any insights as to what it takes to win here today. Also, the first thing McIntyre did when he graduated was go enroll and take a job as a Graduate Assistant at uga. His record at Colorado is not good, overall. I am not opposed to a Tech guy in theory, but none have the resume.

Our coaching pool will likely consist of G5 head coaches and P5 coordinators.
I understand but you could say the same about our AD. McIntyre is not a perfect choice but he is one of the few P5 coaches who might consider coming to Tech and he has the best resume of the coaches with a Tech background.

I understand but you could say the same about our AD. McIntyre is not a perfect choice but he is one of the few P5 coaches who might consider coming to Tech and he has the best resume of the coaches with a Tech background.

Stansbury's ties to Tech are way deeper. He was assistant AD for several years. McIntyre left and never looked back. Ties to the school could be beneficial for an AD in regards to fundraising, but provides no particular advantage for a coach.

Why the obsession with a P5 head coach, anyway? I will take a big winner at a lower level or even a hot shot coordinator with upside over a "meh" P5 guy.

Just knowing the history since 1970, I would say no Georgia Tech former player should be on the list. If Stansbury doesn't have a list of at least ten plausible candidates then he is not earning his pay. He needs to have a plan. If there is no plan right now, then CPJ stays. If we don't have the money to improve the coaching situation, then CPJ stays. Right now we are about the 80th ranked program in the nation--and we are behaving in a manner to justify that ranking, both on the football front and in our athletic department administration. Is there a head coach at any of the top fifty programs that would leave where he is to come to Georgia Tech right now? I don't think so.

Back