Next GT head Coach

Some of you guys are suggesting names that would be making a lateral move coming to Tech. GT isn't the school to make a lateral move to unless they have a tie to the school.

Not sure I understand some of these suggestions:

Led miles averaged 9 wins over his last 4 years (+4 games) with some of the best recruiting classes possible.

Joey freshwater makes even less sense than miles. He wasnt good at ut, he had one 10 win season at usc (not as good as cpj's best here) but was otherwise mediocre and that was with top talent available at USC. He also is repeatedly fired.

Art Briles

giphy.gif

No need to go here. Peterson wants to rape the GTAA for any monies he can get for his administrative con artists.

The goal is to kill GT athletics.

They have already made great strides - they have fans believing beating alcorn is bigger than beating ugag.

Was thinking about this and almost started a new thread until I saw your post. It’s thrown around on the board that Bud and the administration are anti-athletics. Is there any true evidence to this statement? Is Peterson’s treatment of the AA objectively different than how Clough handled athletics when he was here?

I can’t think of any “ripe on the vine” assistants other than Venables. In other years there is always this crop of coordinators who everyone knows is ready to be a HC. It’s not the case this year. Everyone with Saban is too new because the other guys got hired away. I can’t think of any HCs I’d want that would leave where they are to come here.

We are going to likely have to go for a lower division coach if we make a change.

We should look at Bill Clark at UAB. He took a program that was shut down and will most likely head to their second straight bowl this year (after making one in their history prior to his arrival). He's an energetic likable guy that wins despite little support from admin and a small fanbase.

Didn't Briles just get hit with more NCAA allegations over rapegate? He is probably going to end up with a "show cause". Can't see it. The NCAA clearly wants him to stay across the pond and will be all over him day one. Death penalty if he sneezes the wrong way.

Not sure I understand some of these suggestions:

Led miles averaged 9 wins over his last 4 years (+4 games) with some of the best recruiting classes possible.

Joey freshwater makes even less sense than miles. He wasnt good at ut, he had one 10 win season at usc (not as good as cpj's best here) but was otherwise mediocre and that was with top talent available at USC. He also is repeatedly fired.
I'm no Joey Freshwater partisan bc I do care about our coach having a respectable personal life (which maybe Lane has now, I don't know). But you are mischaracterizing his resume.

He was fired by Al Davis, one of the most personally difficult and interfering owners in the history of the NFL.

He was not fired at UT, and in fact UT fans were livid when he left.

He was fired at USC, but I don't think you can make many judgments about his coaching ability. USC was laboring under enormous penalties – bowl prohibitions, ten scholarships lost per year, etc. – that make it hard to judge. In his second year he finished #6 in the country despite those limitations, then had one disappointing year (when they were preseason #1 and ending up losing to us in the Sun Bowl) and was fired a few games into the next year.

He was technically fired at Bama *after* he'd already taken the job at FAU, presumably bc Saban didn't think he was giving the team enough time during the CFP. His numbers as Bama's offensive coordinator are impressive.

And what he's done at FAU is also impressive.

Kiffin is obviously a great coach – the question is whether he's stable enough personally to be able to be a great coach. It is pretty clear that rocky personal relationships have been a big part of all his firings. He sometimes seems a little checked out mentally, too. Ricky Williams was a great RB, but you still couldn't rely on him.

Lance Harbor as HC and Jonathan Moxon as OC. We're going 5 wide running the oop-de-oop. Stack 4 Receivers left and force one-on-one on the other side. They'll never know what hit them.

Um. He ded. So is Billy Bob, sadly. Bud Kilmer is still around, though.

I can’t think of any “ripe on the vine” assistants other than Venables. In other years there is always this crop of coordinators who everyone knows is ready to be a HC. It’s not the case this year. Everyone with Saban is too new because the other guys got hired away. I can’t think of any HCs I’d want that would leave where they are to come here.

We are going to likely have to go for a lower division coach if we make a change.
Mike Houston at JMU makes $500k

Didn't Briles just get hit with more NCAA allegations over rapegate? He is probably going to end up with a "show cause". Can't see it. The NCAA clearly wants him to stay across the pond and will be all over him day one. Death penalty if he sneezes the wrong way.
The briles idea is dead

I've said it before in another thread, but I dig Will Healy.

Granted he's young, and is in the middle of a pretty lucrative 4 year contract at Austin Peay.

That said, he has strong ties to GT and could bring some serious energy. But I don't know. It's just a hunch.

I'm no Joey Freshwater partisan bc I do care about our coach having a respectable personal life (which maybe Lane has now, I don't know). But you are mischaracterizing his resume.

He was fired by Al Davis, one of the most personally difficult and interfering owners in the history of the NFL.

He was not fired at UT, and in fact UT fans were livid when he left.

He was fired at USC, but I don't think you can make many judgments about his coaching ability. USC was laboring under enormous penalties – bowl prohibitions, ten scholarships lost per year, etc. – that make it hard to judge. In his second year he finished #6 in the country despite those limitations, then had one disappointing year (when they were preseason #1 and ending up losing to us in the Sun Bowl) and was fired a few games into the next year.

He was technically fired at Bama *after* he'd already taken the job at FAU, presumably bc Saban didn't think he was giving the team enough time during the CFP. His numbers as Bama's offensive coordinator are impressive.

And what he's done at FAU is also impressive.

Kiffin is obviously a great coach – the question is whether he's stable enough personally to be able to be a great coach. It is pretty clear that rocky personal relationships have been a big part of all his firings. He sometimes seems a little checked out mentally, too. Ricky Williams was a great RB, but you still couldn't rely on him.

He has had some good seasons, but he doesn't seem to be able to maintain success anywhere and doesn't seem to stay anywhere long.

Back