NFL Draft Thread

I personally thought the kiss was uncalled for, if he doesn't want the attention of being gay that sure wasn't a good start but that's just me.

Jeff Fisher made a calculated move considering the depth they already have, again he is a mediocre player at best. He may make the ( i forget the name of it ) squad that the teams get to keep 5 or so players but I would be surprised if anything else. Making the special teams won't cut it because a lot of teams don't keep a designated special teamer like they use to unless I'm wrong which in cases I am. I've been out too long to see what teams do these days.

On the Sams pick, everyone of the so called experts says he's marginal at best. Something like 9 of his 11 sacks came against D2 or lower level teams. He will get owned once he gets out there.

Serious question, why did the SEC voters choose him as defensive player of the year? The list of people to ever win that award doesn't have a whole lot of "he will get owned" level talents.

2003 - Chad Lavalais (LSU)
2004 - David Pollack (UGA)
2005 - Demeco Ryans (Bama)
2006 - Patrick Willis (Miss)
2007 - Glenn Dorsey (LSU)
2008 - Eric Berry (UT)
2009 - Rolando McClain (Bama)
2010 - Patrick Peterson (LSU)
2011 - Morris Claiborne (LSU)
2012 - Jarvis Jones (UGA)
2013 - Michael Sam (Mizzou)

Michael Sam kisses his significant other..."national" outrage.

Ryan Tannehill kisses his significant other...top google search.

Got it.

I personally thought the kiss was uncalled for, if he doesn't want the attention of being gay that sure wasn't a good start but that's just me.

Jeff Fisher made a calculated move considering the depth they already have, again he is a mediocre player at best. He may make the ( i forget the name of it ) squad that the teams get to keep 5 or so players but I would be surprised if anything else. Making the special teams won't cut it because a lot of teams don't keep a designated special teamer like they use to unless I'm wrong which in cases I am. I've been out too long to see what teams do these days.

"Practice squad"?

I don't know, but Sams will probably get paid well for book, speaking, etc. anyway. If he actually makes the team, even more...

He's '14 Tebow

Serious question, why did the SEC voters choose him as defensive player of the year? The list of people to ever win that award doesn't have a whole lot of "he will get owned" level talents.

2008 - Eric Berry (UT)

No idea, maybe the sec was down and they were looking for a feel good story. I don't follow the sec so I have no idea who he was up against. Heck for all I know he may be the next great DE, but I doubt it.

I didn't have any issue with Sam kissing his boyfriend. I just thought the media intentionally focused on it way too much, certainly way more than they would in the case of a heterosexual athlete.

2008 - Eric Berry (UT)

There's some hits (Willis, Peterson) and some misses too (Lavalais) in that list.

Would Michael Sam's path to the NFL have been more difficult if he didn't play football at a historically gay college like Missouri? I kid.

Now he's saying he should have been first 3 rounds.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...i-should-have-gone-in-the-first-three-rounds/

Big12 Defensive Player of the Year went undrafted.

I guess he has a skewed vision on how the media projected him. He never started in the draft lists above 4th round IIRC, and a, "meh," pro-day/combine effort, mixed with his size and speed just meant he isn't a good fit for the positions teams need. The absolute only reason Michael Sam is famous is because of his openness about his sexuality. It stinks that you can be 6'2" and 235lbs, have all the athleticism in the world, and still be a square peg for a round hole. If he is speculating now that his draft stock plummeted because of his sexuality just wait until he gets cut from a team. I thought part of coming out for people was acceptance of their person, rising above, and not using their sexuality as a crutch, etc. I hope this doesn't spiral out of control. Even on the second and third day of the draft, ESPN analysts were trying to set the tone that Sam's draft status was based on his fit for his position.

As far as those that want to demonize him, there's not much you can do. He's gay. He's got a civil right to kiss his boyfriend. It happens. If you think that is bad, your eyes would turn to saucers if you saw what gets on HBO these days. "Think of the children," seems to be the message purported by those that oppose what Michael Sam represents. To them I say that you cannot control what is being broadcast across the country, but you can control, through conversation and guidance, how to grow mature, thoughtful children that espouse the morals and values you treasure, and you have an even higher moral obligation to lead them in that, not through hate, but through love and understanding. There was a time when Mary Tyler Moore wearing capris on the, "Dick Van Dyke," show was an outrage, and when black people and white people used separate bathrooms for crying out loud.

"Avoid wars you can't win, and never raise your flag for an asinine cause like slavery." - Frank Underwood

As far as those that want to demonize him, there's not much you can do. He's gay. He's got a civil right to kiss his boyfriend. It happens. If you think that is bad, your eyes would turn to saucers if you saw what gets on HBO these days. "Think of the children," seems to be the message purported by those that oppose what Michael Sam represents. To them I say that you cannot control what is being broadcast across the country, but you can control, through conversation and guidance, how to grow mature, thoughtful children that espouse the morals and values you treasure, and you have an even higher moral obligation to lead them in that, not through hate, but through love and understanding. There was a time when Mary Tyler Moore wearing capris on the, "Dick Van Dyke," show was an outrage, and when black people and white people used separate bathrooms for crying out loud.

"Avoid wars you can't win, and never raise your flag for an asinine cause like slavery." - Frank Underwood

Actually quite well stated, old chap.

Back