NIL starts today

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder about the significance of the company's name Gopuff. Gostuff might have been better.

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bo Nix + Milo Tea = Bama Boycott

This should be fun to watch. How many products we going to boycott when they have exclusive deals with dwag players?
I already don't drive Ford F150s because of their affiliation with dwagger coaches. ... and I don't really need one, but that's beside the point.
I think about Vince Dooley and his hoarse voice every time I go into a Kroger. Then I feel like Vince is just bitter that he didn’t make the enormous salary in his prime and this is why he is selling his soul in his golden years.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Hard to see how this ends well for GT. Recruits will soon choose schools based on likely sponsorship deal money. Sponsorship deal money is proportional to the money in the fan base (basically proportional to the number of fans for that school). We have many times fewer fans than the big schools.

Selling points for GT have been education and the city. Those things are devalued when income becomes a major criterion in school selection.

joeye

Varsity Connoisseur
So are school bookstores now in competition with athletes to sell jerseys, or are bookstores still a main channel, but the athletes get their cut..?

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
Sad day. College sports just sold it's soul. Yet another way for the factories to augment their bagmen programs.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I doubt "can't". Most male athletes are top 1% of the top 1% sexy on the male spectrum globally. Most female athletes are average on their own college campuses. If the men put their minds to this there'd be no contest.
Except that men are much more interested in bodies than women are. So these male athletes would have to be marketing themselves to gay men. Once upon a time I would've assumed that would never happen, but in this day and age, when GTAA is Woke, maybe I'm wrong.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
NCAA needs to adjust to the new world of the NIL era. They now need far less enforcement staff - if you can get paid as a college athlete then why be worrying about bag men and other illegal inducements. UNC demolished the argument for enforcing academic integrity, with high paid lawyers arguing their egregious behavior rose above the NCAA level for regulation and was a matter for accreditation. So be it. Just quit worrying about academic integrity and money changing hands. It has been a sham for years and the NCAA has used its power to keep the cash cows on top - see Ole Miss beating Bama twice in football and the Tarheels mess in basketball and football. And, really, how necessary is it to have such complicated contact rules in place in recruiting? NCAA investigations and probations could become a relic of the past.

What they do need to do is act quickly and with common sense. Limit roster sizes. If not, an Alabama could stockpile 40 walkons who make their scholarship through NIL contracts. It might be a good time to reduce scholarships to 65 and roster size to 85 in football, scholarships to 10 and rosters to 15 in basketball. This would be a significant saving and would help programs with more limited NIL possibilities remain more competitive.

GoJackets89

Helluva Engineer
NCAA needs to adjust to the new world of the NIL era. They now need far less enforcement staff - if you can get paid as a college athlete then why be worrying about bag men and other illegal inducements. UNC demolished the argument for enforcing academic integrity, with high paid lawyers arguing their egregious behavior rose above the NCAA level for regulation and was a matter for accreditation. So be it. Just quit worrying about academic integrity and money changing hands. It has been a sham for years and the NCAA has used its power to keep the cash cows on top - see Ole Miss beating Bama twice in football and the Tarheels mess in basketball and football. And, really, how necessary is it to have such complicated contact rules in place in recruiting? NCAA investigations and probations could become a relic of the past.

What they do need to do is act quickly and with common sense. Limit roster sizes. If not, an Alabama could stockpile 40 walkons who make their scholarship through NIL contracts. It might be a good time to reduce scholarships to 65 and roster size to 85 in football, scholarships to 10 and rosters to 15 in basketball. This would be a significant saving and would help programs with more limited NIL possibilities remain more competitive.
Why wouldn't they just keep on doing what they've been doing. they have no incentive to not keep the big guys on top. I don't see how any of this undercuts the NCAA, they are a hollow body the will just keep reaping benefits until it fiscally doesn't make sense.

IM79

Flats Noob

I believe there is already a limit on walkons and roster size. Believe it was done years back to prevent Nebraska from doing what you suggest.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I believe there is already a limit on walkons and roster size. Believe it was done years back to prevent Nebraska from doing what you suggest.
There is a limit now, but it would be a good time to lower that number. The highest profile programs will offer the most for recruits in the NIL era, just as they did before. The new wrinkle would be even their walk-ons could get enough income generated by being part of the program to more than make up for their lack of scholarship money. This is how the rich could get even richer, expanding the talent gap. Stricter limits on their numbers of scholarship players and walk-ons can only make things more competitive. Plus, with the Transfer Portal so robust they can still get player movement to compensate for recruits who do not pan out or get injured.

With a 65 scholarship limit the division just below us never seems to find it hard to have enough players to compete.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
The rich will still get richer with a reduction in numbers. Their starters will be even more superior to the poor programs because the rich programs will just spend more on fewer recruits. It may help a little on depth issues though.
The lower levels have a bigger pool to draw from than D-1 programs.