No excuse for this.

1) They keep saying competition is king. Then they play the same people even after they make the same mistakes over and over.
2) We are rapidly approaching the point where it makes no sense to play seniors where we have viable alternatives. We need to play the people who will contribute next season. Even the players who we want to red shirt can get significant experience in three games this season with the new rules. I will swap additional failure this season for more success next season.
3) Why do we continue to struggle with blocking for field goals and punts? It seems this is another issue that leads back to our offensive line coach. Even FCS teams seem to be able to handle this task better than we do.

Number 2 is insane. First, if we were going to be a team who does that, we would of done that a lot more the past 2 years than this year. Second, that is what you do when a season is over and there is nothing to play for. You really think that is currently the case?! You really think the Pitt result is more probable against the likes of UVA, Duke and Miami than the UNC outcome?

So how many of CGC's recruits are playing on the offense and defensive line so far? It takes time. If you think coach has had enough time by now to have all his players on the field I'm not sure your brain has the capacity to validate what a rebuild is. If I remember correctly I think you mentioned you're an attorney. Sounds like some Jon Marshall critical thinking.
CGC is playing as many ofhis recruits including his transfers as he chooses. We are approaching the point where he should play the players who will return next year as much as possible.

Number 2 is insane. First, if we were going to be a team who does that, we would of done that a lot more the past 2 years than this year. Second, that is what you do when a season is over and there is nothing to play for. You really think that is currently the case?! You really think the Pitt result is more probable against the likes of UVA, Duke and Miami than the UNC outcome?
I did not say we are there yet. I said we were rapidly approaching that point.

So how many of CGC's recruits are playing on the offense and defensive line so far? It takes time. If you think coach has had enough time by now to have all his players on the field I'm not sure your brain has the capacity to validate what a rebuild is. If I remember correctly I think you mentioned you're an attorney. Sounds like some Jon Marshall critical thinking.
'Installing your system' is the kind of excuse that bad coaches make for their failure. We heard it for years with Al Groh. It's football, go out there and hit a guy and make a block and so forth.

Maybe on some level not having complete alignment of players and system results in close games going against you. But it certainly doesn't explain the failures yesterday after 1000+ days of Collins' leadership. It's the coach's job to win with the players he's got. We had plenty of good players before, and if the recruiting services are to be trusted we have even more good players now. Yet the results are much worse.

The longer, bigger, faster athletes allowed us to prove we can hang with Clemson and curb stomp UNC, while simultaneously proving we need more time to get better so we don’t get our teeth kicked in against a team like Pitt.

Makes complete sense.

'Installing your system' is the kind of excuse that bad coaches make for their failure. We heard it for years with Al Groh. It's football, go out there and hit a guy and make a block and so forth.

Maybe on some level not having complete alignment of players and system results in close games going against you. But it certainly doesn't explain the failures yesterday after 1000+ days of Collins' leadership. It's the coach's job to win with the players he's got. We had plenty of good players before, and if the recruiting services are to be trusted we have even more good players now. Yet the results are much worse.

The main difference from the common example of it is completely rebuilding offensive and defensive lines tends to be a year or two longer than other spots or just teaching a new system. We have evidence of that on the defensive line where officially the vast majority of the line are freshmen and sophomores (maybe be some would juniors without covid idk). We have more older people on the offensive line but I've seen nothing that tells me we don't Want them all replaced. If ultimately we don't have now or develop younger players to be better than them then that's where the doom comes in.

We know the lines take longer. We all agree with that. So in the meantime call plays that minimize our deficiencies. Handing the ball to a RB six yards behind a bad offensive isn’t “elite” coaching. Going shotgun in goal to go situations inside the 5 yard line behind a bad OLine also is not “elite” coaching.

Seriously, what do you think Sims is thinking standing there 6 yards back about to take the snap knowing what he has on the OLine. I feel for our QB’s and RB’s. They gotta be depressed. And the guy who should be helping them with scheme is the one leading them to the butcher. At some point the players are simply going to stop listening and caring.

We know the lines take longer. We all agree with that. So in the meantime call plays that minimize our deficiencies. Handing the ball to a RB six yards behind a bad offensive isn’t “elite” coaching. Going shotgun in goal to go situations inside the 5 yard line behind a bad OLine also is not “elite” coaching.

Seriously, what do you think Sims is thinking standing there 6 yards back about to take the snap knowing what he has on the OLine. I feel for our QB’s and RB’s. They gotta be depressed. And the guy who should be helping them with scheme is the one leading them to the butcher. At some point the players are simply going to stop listening and caring.
He's probably thinking "Thank God I have six yards to react to my turnstile OL instead of one yard"

Under center or in shotgun, you still need to block. You talk about what Sims must be thinking 6 yards back, but at least he can see the failure coming and react. From what I've seen from the OL at times so far, if we did under center I wouldn't be surprised if Sims got tackled immediately after the snap a couple times.

Under center or in shotgun, you still need to block. You talk about what Sims must be thinking 6 yards back, but at least he can see the failure coming and react. From what I've seen from the OL at times so far, if we did under center I wouldn't be surprised if Sims got tackled immediately after the snap a couple times.
True. But every team except GT can go under center when it’s 1st and goal from the 3 or 4. Heck, just have Mason take a snap under center and have Biggers and Green line up at double fullback and shove him across. Every team has that except us. We turn a 1st and 3 into a 1st and 8 at the snap. But it’s the same thing we saw in the Clemson game and no changes have been made. And I have no doubt that UVA, VT, BC, ND will stuff us inside the red zone because they have at least average coaches. UGA won’t even let us cross midfield with Patenaude calling the plays.

True. But every team except GT can go under center when it’s 1st and goal from the 3 or 4. Heck, just have Mason take a snap under center and have Biggers and Green line up at double fullback and shove him across. Every team has that except us. We turn a 1st and 3 into a 1st and 8 at the snap. But it’s the same thing we saw in the Clemson game and no changes have been made. And I have no doubt that UVA, VT, BC, ND will stuff us inside the red zone because they have at least average coaches. UGA won’t even let us cross midfield with Patenaude calling the plays.

I'm not 100% certain every team doesn't have a better offensive line than we do.

I'm not 100% certain every team doesn't have a better offensive line than we do.
To be clear, fixing this will likely be the make or break aspect of Collins time as GT coach and that deadline is fast approaching.

Only 1 coach that I have ever seen at the P5 Level has deviated from the script above, and he used to always say, "the plays were there we just didn't execute".

CDP after the NIU game?

Seriously, I’ve seen lots of P5 and pro coaches go down the ‘play was there, we just didn’t execute’ route.

Collins gets two free years to make a positive impression with no real criticisms outside of individual and team discipline. So this is his first year with no excuses imo. So far things look pretty ugly. And that's a shame considering the horrid shape the ACC is in this year. Completely blowing a golden opportunity. Still time to turn things around and surprise many.....but I will definitely be surprised if it happens.

Back