No excuse for this.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
I had to check the date of this post… can’t believe some are still saying this.
Really? I think it's pretty common to say it takes three years for a coach to fully install his system and players, especially during a transition from a completely different system.

And I'm not excusing the loss. I'm doing the opposite. We need to be competitive this year and we were not yesterday.

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
Really? I think it's pretty common to say it takes three years for a coach to fully install his system and players, especially during a transition from a completely different system.

And I'm not excusing the loss. I'm doing the opposite. We need to be competitive this year and we were not yesterday.
That's a reasonable take. I think everyone looking at the situation objectively knows it was a major rebuild, but we should not have lopsided losses at this point. No excuses for those. There is a big difference in my mind in year three between competitive losses and blowouts.

18in32

Petard Hoister

We're well past the point of 'not needing wins.' Of course we should be competitive, we should've been competitive against the Pitts of the world in year one.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
The 31-point margin of defeat was the second widest for Tech to an ACC opponent other than Clemson (Do not want to mention that historic loss) in Collins’ two-plus seasons, exceeded only by the 45-0 home loss to Virginia Tech in 2019. So in 2019 and 2020 we can say "cupboard was bare" . In 2021 and going forward not so much.

However with the uptick in recruiting and transfers the transformation has happened very quickly. The problem lies with the thought process that "better recuits" equal more wins. Coaching the boys up is the most important piece of the process, and that is not happing at a rate to get this program back to 6 wins and a Bowl game on the regular. We are looking more like the 1974-1986 years where GT only made two bowl games and were not very good teams. IIWII. The best news about this is that the GTAA raised $175.39 million in gifts and commitments, exceeding $125 million goal by more than 40%. So money will no longer be an excuse or obstacle to winning.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
The 31-point margin of defeat was the second widest for Tech to an ACC opponent other than Clemson (Do not want to mention that historic loss) in Collins’ two-plus seasons, exceeded only by the 45-0 home loss to Virginia Tech in 2019. So in 2019 and 2020 we can say "cupboard was bare" . In 2021 and going forward not so much.

However with the uptick in recruiting and transfers the transformation has happened very quickly. The problem lies with the thought process that "better recuits" equal more wins. Coaching the boys up is the most important piece of the process, and that is not happing at a rate to get this program back to 6 wins and a Bowl game on the regular. We are looking more like the 1974-1986 years where GT only made two bowl games and were not very good teams. IIWII. The best news about this is that the GTAA raised $175.39 million in gifts and commitments, exceeding $125 million goal by more than 40%. So money will no longer be an excuse or obstacle to winning.
Think your memory may be off a bit. O’Leary lost to Free Shoes 49-3 and 42-10, 38-0. That guy before him lost to them 51-0 and 41-3 to UNC. Curry had many a drubbing back in the day where we got whipped by 5 TDs or more But maybe we were independent for the earlier years. I remember Dook crushed us one year.

Out $175M in gifts is a nice start, but for example Dook raised almost $400M back in 2017 and even Wake managed to got $150M. We’re not exactly burning it up.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
We're well past the point of 'not needing wins.' Of course we should be competitive, we should've been competitive against the Pitts of the world in year one.
We were. Both last year and 2019 were close games.

18in32

Petard Hoister
We were. Both last year and 2019 were close games.
'Close games' is double-digit losses and large statistical imbalances?
eyesquint.jpg

But there's no reason to argue over exactly how close a loss is 'close enough,' because however 'competitive' you think those games were... shouldn't we be more competitive now than we were then? All the enthusiasm about the UNC win was completely squandered not with a punch-'em-in-face battle-to-the-death loss, but an absolute butt kicking. Our redzone performance, our lack of pressure on the QB, our sideline management, all aspects of the game yesterday were several notches below Pitt.

CGC has been our head coach for 30 months now. We've seen massive improvements in our media production quality, recruiting stars, etc. But none on the field.

Tshirt Man

Varsity Lurker
Saw several post last week that Clemson and unc prove that Collins has recruited bigger stronger players that can match up physically with top teams. Then we get embarrassed by Pitt and it's because we don't have the players yet. Which one is it?

I think we have enough talent to be a 7-9 win team this year. Did we lose the players that matched up with Clemson or dominated unc or did we get out coached by Pitt? Sure Pitt is a veteran team, better than us and looked like they are better than Clemson but they embarrassed us yesterday.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Saw several post last week that Clemson and unc prove that Collins has recruited bigger stronger players that can match up physically with top teams. Then we get embarrassed by Pitt and it's because we don't have the players yet. Which one is it?

I think we have enough talent to be a 7-9 win team this year. Did we lose the players that matched up with Clemson or dominated unc or did we get out coached by Pitt? Sure Pitt is a veteran team, better than us and looked like they are better than Clemson but they embarrassed us yesterday.

Outcoached.

Tshirt Man

Varsity Lurker
We caught Clemson by surprise with the new look, (credit to the coaches) we just manhandled unc (credit to coaches and players) but we had nothing new for Pitt and no adjustments to what they were doing. These coaches just try to force a square peg into a round hole over and over. Sometimes it's like they're not even watching the game.

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
I recognize that Pitt is a seasoned, veteran team with a lot of upperclassmen. I also recognize that they lost to a team from the MAC, perhaps a good team, but a non-P5 nonetheless.

I’m not going to make excuses for yesterday. I wasn’t expecting it, I’m discouraged and deflated by it, but I’m not giving up because of it. Getting in the hole early like we did didn’t help matters, but defensively we had no answers for Pickett. On the flip side, despite a rather pathetic running game effort, our passing game looked good. Our red zone productivity is another issue entirely. Then there’s the OL.

Ok, now I’m rambling and meandering, time to shut this post down.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd

I think our Players were full of themselves and just didn't bring the needed intensity to win yesterday.

I think we feared getting boat raced vs UNC and played with a lot more intensity and focus, we came out unfocused and lackadaisical because Pitt had lost to W Michigan and gave up a lot of points vs Tennessee, and we didn't think they could blow us out and probably didn't think Pitt could beat us.

Our upperclassmen lack fire , grit, determination and leadership, our Team doesn't play up to the Standard of our Upperclassmen (they don't set standards).

We have to learn to ignore the opposition and only focus on our Team and each play, we need to completely forget who we are playing and just focus on executing every play with Max effort and with Max precision and Max perfection.

If we can do those things the scoreboard will take care of itself in most games unless the competition is off the charts talented (ala Bama or uga)

Tshirt Man

Varsity Lurker
I think our Players were full of themselves and just didn't bring the needed intensity to win yesterday.

I think we feared getting boat raced vs UNC and played with a lot more intensity and focus, we came out unfocused and lackadaisical because Pitt had lost to W Michigan and gave up a lot of points vs Tennessee, and we didn't think they could blow us out and probably didn't think Pitt could beat us.

Our upperclassmen lack fire , grit, determination and leadership, our Team doesn't play up to the Standard of our Upperclassmen (they don't set standards).

We have to learn to ignore the opposition and only focus on our Team and each play, we need to completely forget who we are playing and just focus on executing every play with Max effort and with Max precision and Max perfection.

If we can do those things the scoreboard will take care of itself in most games unless the competition is off the charts talented (ala Bama or uga)
Maybe it's not the upperclassmen, it's the coaches. Instead of giving out hugs and participation trophies, they should be telling them you missed that assignment,. fix it or I'll play somebody that gets it right.

You really do sound like cgc with all the max effort bs. I'm tired of hearing about how hard they tried and how much they love each other. If they are so great, we are losing because of ööööty coaching. If they are not great, where is all the great recruiting we had the last two years? (I know young but you see freshman and sophomore playing all over college football now. If they are so good, they should be better than the scrubs that they say he was left with)

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
1) They keep saying competition is king. Then they play the same people even after they make the same mistakes over and over.
2) We are rapidly approaching the point where it makes no sense to play seniors where we have viable alternatives. We need to play the people who will contribute next season. Even the players who we want to red shirt can get significant experience in three games this season with the new rules. I will swap additional failure this season for more success next season.
3) Why do we continue to struggle with blocking for field goals and punts? It seems this is another issue that leads back to our offensive line coach. Even FCS teams seem to be able to handle this task better than we do.

law_bee

Dodd-Like
The problem lies with the thought process that "better recuits" equal more wins. Coaching the boys up is the most important piece of the process, and that is not happing at a rate to get this program back to 6 wins and a Bowl game on the regular. We are looking more like the 1974-1986 years where GT only made two bowl games and were not very good teams. IIWII.
Ever since O'leary in 1997 til 2018 we had gone to 20 bowl games. It just seems we are far away from any bowl. We play DOOK and UVA next so we will have more data points soon.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Maybe it's not the upperclassmen, it's the coaches. Instead of giving out hugs and participation trophies, they should be telling them you missed that assignment,. fix it or I'll play somebody that gets it right.

You really do sound like cgc with all the max effort bs. I'm tired of hearing about how hard they tried and how much they love each other. If they are so great, we are losing because of ööööty coaching. If they are not great, where is all the great recruiting we had the last two years? (I know young but you see freshman and sophomore playing all over college football now. If they are so good, they should be better than the scrubs that they say he was left with)
I differ from CGC in this way:

I want perfect effort, perfect execution, and perfect understanding of your assignment on each Play

FB is really a simple game, if you execute enough perfect snaps each game the Scoreboard will usually favor you when the clock hits zero, the thing is it takes a lot of discipline to perform those snaps perfectly.

I want more than just trying hard, and I'm sure so does CGC, this guy spent a lot of time in the cutthroat SEC so he's not the kumbaya guy that many make him out to be.

But I do admit that he has to find some button to push to get us to be more disciplined WRT executing assignments during Games.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
I had to check the date of this post… can’t believe some are still saying this.
So how many of CGC's recruits are playing on the offense and defensive line so far? It takes time. If you think coach has had enough time by now to have all his players on the field I'm not sure your brain has the capacity to validate what a rebuild is. If I remember correctly I think you mentioned you're an attorney. Sounds like some Jon Marshall critical thinking.