No Respect- CFN ranks GT #40 in their Preseason Rankings

Their rankings are usually retarded. They had GT #6 one year under Gailey.

Re: Meh. Who really gives a rat's butt....

Many people seem to have forgotten that the idea is to WIN your games - not impress some jack wagon sportwriter.

Not really ... if you start out ranked #40 and win all your games you likely don't win the NC.

If you start out ranked #4 and win all your games you play for the NC.

Not really ... if you start out ranked #40 and win all your games you likely don't win the NC.

A scenario we're all too familiar with. :rolleyes:

Except this poll has nothing to do with the BCS.

Except it's more than a jack wagon sportswriter. This thing is just a little below the average opinion of our program by most people outside of Tech. The opinion of the school effects ranking, recruiting (in many, many ways), what bowl game we play in and who we play, even the money the program can make. What make this such a gut punch if CFN has been pretty damn favorable to us in the past. The first paragraph of the post-Orange Bowl right up was how the option CAN work, not about blueprint ****. And that same group just said we're an inch above mid-tier bowl team.
Basically a case of you think you're making progress and then someone slaps that notion out of you.

It only slaps that notion out of you if you give a rat's butt about that jerk's opinion. I understand the tangibles of being ranked high - I've already said that. The tangibles are important - but respect is an intangible and I don't let anyone else's opinion of me affect the way I think about myself. I can't control what someone else thinks. All I can do is the best I can do. If they don't respect that - I don't care about their "respect." That's the attitude our team should take - whether they are ranked number 43 or ranked number 1 - they need to prove themselves EVERY game.

It's AUGUST!!!! for Christ's sake. Who cares what they think? Like I said, the respect thing will play itself out on the field. We'll get it if we earn it.

And I personally could give a rat's butt about playing for the MNC. I'd rather be "Auburned" than go 11-1 and play for the MNC. The idea like I said is to win all your games - not win enough to be "considered" number one. Number one is just an opinion.

And yes I understand the "tangible benefits" of being ranked number one - but some of those are ephemeral - it really helped us maintain the program last time didn't it?

That's MHO.

But in both scenarios you have agreed with me - the idea is to win all your games. You don't think if we start out at 40 and beat VT who ends up with only one loss, and Miami who ends up with only 2 losses and UGA and finish undefeated that we won't be ranked 1 or 2?

OK we might not if there are two other perennial powerhouses undefeated, but the same goes if you start out at number four and two of those ahead of you remain undefeated.

It only slaps that notion out of you if you give a rat's butt about that jerk's opinion. I understand the tangibles of being ranked high - I've already said that. The tangibles are important - but respect is an intangible and I don't let anyone else's opinion of me affect the way I think about myself. I can't control what someone else thinks. All I can do is the best I can do. If they don't respect that - I don't care about their "respect." That's the attitude our team should take - whether they are ranked number 43 or ranked number 1 - they need to prove themselves EVERY game.

It's AUGUST!!!! for Christ's sake. Who cares what they think? Like I said, the respect thing will play itself out on the field. We'll get it if we earn it.

And I personally could give a rat's butt about playing for the MNC. I'd rather be "Auburned" than go 11-1 and play for the MNC. The idea like I said is to win all your games - not win enough to be "considered" number one. Number one is just an opinion.

And yes I understand the "tangible benefits" of being ranked number one - but some of those are ephemeral - it really helped us maintain the program last time didn't it?

That's MHO.

Actually I rate Pete Fiutak pretty highly among sports media.

This just in. Pictures from the CFN ranking meeting.

article-0-033B4091000005DC-104_468x339.jpg

I sent Fiu an email and got this back. I am not joking at all:

Go ahead and post this on any board if you want …

Remember, we do our preseason rankings based on how good the teams are from top to bottom going into the season (and then change them once the season starts), so if one of the unit rankings is low (like the GT receivers), the overall ranking will be a bit lower. Georgia Tech and Navy don’t get enough love because the one thing they do well, run the ball, overshadows everything else. So while the talent might not be there in certain spots compared to other teams, that doesn’t mean the ground attack (the great equalizer) won’t crank out 400 yards and get the win. I was just talking to Iowa’s Adrian Clayborn, and he said the defense started from scratch and needed the whole month to prepare for the Tech running game. He laughed at the idea of trying to get ready for it in a day and a half, like most teams during the season do. Don’t worry. Tech will be in the thick of the ACC hunt all year long. Thanks for reading us! … Fiu, CFN

I sent Fiu an email and got this back. I am not joking at all:

Go ahead and post this on any board if you want …

Remember, we do our preseason rankings based on how good the teams are from top to bottom going into the season (and then change them once the season starts), so if one of the unit rankings is low (like the GT receivers), the overall ranking will be a bit lower. Georgia Tech and Navy don’t get enough love because the one thing they do well, run the ball, overshadows everything else. So while the talent might not be there in certain spots compared to other teams, that doesn’t mean the ground attack (the great equalizer) won’t crank out 400 yards and get the win. I was just talking to Iowa’s Adrian Clayborn, and he said the defense started from scratch and needed the whole month to prepare for the Tech running game. He laughed at the idea of trying to get ready for it in a day and a half, like most teams during the season do. Don’t worry. Tech will be in the thick of the ACC hunt all year long. Thanks for reading us! … Fiu, CFN

Basically he just admitted his ranking system is worthless.

His explaination pretty much told me that their rankings go off of the recruitment rankings

His explaination pretty much told me that their rankings go off of the recruitment rankings

Actually, this is pretty cool. I've always suspected that pollsters, especially in the preseason, look a lot at talent depth, often based on initial recruitment rankings. What we learn from this kind of analysis, is overperformance vs. underperformance based on coaches and schemes.

This is funny as sh**--this poll should show anyone how absolutely worthless and ridiculous pre-season polls are--ALL OF THEM--end of season is ALL that matters--any credence put in pre-season polls is wasted time.

There are so many polls now. Kind of like politicians. You can always find one that tells you what you want to hear. Tech deserves to be in the teens. I really think that overall national annalyst are giving us respect. While most around the this area or not due to the exaggerated bias toward the SEC. I believe USA Today poll is right with us being 17. We can work with that. Like Johnson says: we haven't proved anything yet. That is why we play the games.

They have uga number 3. With a freshman quarterback. Wisconsin is #6. Other teams they think are better than Tech: Arkansas, Oregon State, Auburn, Ole Miss, BC, Connecticut, RUTGERS, among others.

I can't believe they have anyone that even watches football.
Kinda bizarre, given that CFN is normally pretty dependable. When you read the article about Tech you get the impression it was put together by internet sources without any real knowledge of the status of the program. Cooper Taylor is not key to success by any measure. It will be great to get him back, but I don't think our fortunes hinge on his even playing. Several other team blurbs are similar. A definite cut and paste project from press releases, sports information director emails, and websites. Additionally, CFN reboots their rankings about every third day during the season.:laugher::laugher:

Guy from CFN was just interviewed on 680. He said that their rankings do not show how teams will finish at the end of the year, but rank teams by personnel. They look at each position (OL, WR, DL, LB, etc.) independently and then come up with ranking. Combining these they get their overall ranking.

When asked about GT specifically, he said that WR rankings hurt them badly as it did with Navy. He then went on to say that the way we use WR and the running game will overcome that and we will be in the ACC title hunt.

Guess that explains the 8-4 predicted record followed by #40 ranking.

IMO this does not help UGAg or Richt in particular. Bascially, they are saying UGAg should be #3 in the country based on talent, but coaching can/will? continue to keep that from happening.

OK we might not if there are two other perennial powerhouses undefeated, but the same goes if you start out at number four and two of those ahead of you remain undefeated.

Right. If Florida and Oklahoma go undefeated we are out. Really if any two teams that start the season ranked ahead of us (let's say we start out at #25 in the AP or CP) go undefeated we catch another ass whipping in the Orange Bowl.

It's likely to happen again. That being said the chances of us going undefeated are pretty slim anyway so we are really just arguing over pubes.

Back