OC Buster Faulkner Offensive Playbook: Dive & POP

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
If it's anything like Hatcher's or what WKU and GS run... The QB in that scheme releases the ball extremely fast. Lots of screens and short passes. GS and WKU threw the ball about 570 times this season. Not sure about WKU, but the QB at GS only got sacked a few times despite subpar OL play. Makes it more forgiving to recruit OL. There's a lot to like about that offense - it's fun to watch too.
Thanks for sharing. It appears GS was about 60/40 run pass ratio this year. I thought it interesting the average yards per pass was only 2+ yards greater than the run….assume a lot of short, quick passes which are effectively runs. Did they have a lot of explosive plays as a result?

Also appears Southern’s run D was bad statistically Any insight if this was a personnel issue or perhaps a byproduct of their offensive style?

EagleSting

Damn Good Rat
Thanks for sharing. It appears GS was about 60/40 run pass ratio this year. I thought it interesting the average yards per pass was only 2+ yards greater than the run….assume a lot of short, quick passes which are effectively runs. Did they have a lot of explosive plays as a result?

Also appears Southern’s run D was bad statistically Any insight if this was a personnel issue or perhaps a byproduct of their offensive style?
A combination of coaching and recruits- mostly coaching. A lot of these guys on defense were the same guys that were ranked #53 2 years ago. At #128 this year, you don't get that bad unless you're clueless.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
As a player, OC Faulkner starred as a QB for Valdosta State from 2000 to 2003. In three years with the Blazers, he passed for 7,100 yards and 64 TDs while leaving VSU with a 47-6 record. Below is his 2000 VSU passing playbook.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
The winningest coach in Blazers' history, Chris Hatcher was 76–12. When Coach Hatcher took over as head coach in 2000, he wasted no time molding the Valdosta State program into the "Hatch Attack". In his first year back at VSU, Hatcher took a 4–7 squad the previous year and turned it around to a 10–2 record (8–1 in GSC action) and berth in the Division II playoffs. Hatcher’s coaching staff at Valdosta State in 2000 included future SEC head coaches Will Muschamp and Kirby Smart. Below is an Air Raid Mesh and Shallow Article written bu Coach Chris Hatcher.

Buzzilla

I'm all out of bubblegum
Hearing Wienke will be named Co-Offensive Coordinator?

buzzdoc

Dodd-Like
I remember when Chris Hatcher’s name was mentioned, albeit briefly IIRC, for GT HFC before CPJ was hired. I’ve always been a fan.

EagleSting

Damn Good Rat
Chris Hatcher is a brilliant offensive mind. His massive flaw is his inability to pick a competent DC, except for when he had Muscamp and Smart in the beginning.. He stumbled on one this year though..

Air Raid is essentially an inverted form of the triple option. In fact, I believe it would be far easier to transition from TO to Air Raid than other offenses. Unlike the triple option, the OL for the Air Raid is a lot more forgiving and doesn't blow up the play as much as it would for the TO or other systems that rely on efficient OL play. The smaller sized OL that the TO uses makes for a more difficult time in a system that relies on heavily on the OL. Thus, if you transition to Air Raid they really only need to block for just enough time for the QB to release the ball. This buys enough time to recruit beefier guys. GS's OL is on the smaller side, not that good but the QB was only sacked like 3 times. Being able to release the ball faster than a fart on Taco Tuesday overcomes a lot of OL sins. We should've gone this route in the first place..

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Chris Hatcher is a brilliant offensive mind. His massive flaw is his inability to pick a competent DC, except for when he had Muscamp and Smart in the beginning.. He stumbled on one this year though..

Air Raid is essentially an inverted form of the triple option. In fact, I believe it would be far easier to transition from TO to Air Raid than other offenses. Unlike the triple option, the OL for the Air Raid is a lot more forgiving and doesn't blow up the play as much as it would for the TO or other systems that rely on efficient OL play. The smaller sized OL that the TO uses makes for a more difficult time in a system that relies on heavily on the OL. Thus, if you transition to Air Raid they really only need to block for just enough time for the QB to release the ball. This buys enough time to recruit beefier guys. GS's OL is on the smaller side, not that good but the QB was only sacked like 3 times. Being able to release the ball faster than a fart on Taco Tuesday overcomes a lot of OL sins. We should've gone this route in the first place..
I agree, I am super excited for SPRING BALL. I am pumped about the CBK era the more I research his hires. Go Jackets!

M39Buzz

Time flies like arrows. Fruit flies like bananas.
I agree, I am super excited for SPRING BALL. I am pumped about the CBK era the more I research his hires. Go Jackets!
This! I'm more excited about GA TECH Football now than I have been since 2016!
Thank you CBK for a wonderful Christmas present... Restoring my hope in GT Football!

QuadF

Dodd-Like
Can someone tldr how this reduces the reads for the QB?