official 2009/ 2010 recruiting thread

This is a slow spot in recruiting (due to holidays and the fact that "most" high profile recruits have already committed), but will heat up very quickly as national signing day is the first Wednesday in February every year.

The true "dead" period though is usually after the signing period. You see a lot of activity immediately after due to the ability to turn verbal offers into written (i.e. GT has to wait until February 4th to submit written offer to players in the 2011 class). The kids that know then may commit (but usually doesn't happen too much). Then the rest of the spring is pretty dead.

Summer is when a lot of the big camps happen and players "recruiting rankings" skyrocket and change, but that's a whole different story and debate($$$). Then the fall comes around, teams usually have their boards made up and get some solid commits during the season.

Every once in a while it differs though. For example, Texas had 20 commits before the season even started. That is a unique scenario though in that the state of Texas is a breeding ground for talent and kids know they have to commit to solidify that spot.

In short...there is no dead period in recruiting though. If you are asking when the slowest time for commitments is I hope I covered that. But the coaches literally work non stop on it. And it's a tough game. Each coach on the staff usually goes after their slew of players. For example...Giff Smith may have a safety in mind that goes to Marist, Wommack may have a safety in mind that goes to Roswell, Mike Sewak may have a safety in mind that goes to Fort Lauderdale HS, and Preston may have a safety in mind that goes to Flowery Branch. The coaches have to meet up and go over each player and decide which one is at the top of their list.

Hopefully that helps?

I think by "dead" he was referring to no contact periods.

I think by "dead" he was referring to no contact periods.

Oh...

Quiet - Recruits can visit with coaches but only on those coaches' campuses.
Dead - During which no in-person contact is allowed
Evaluation - Recruiters can visit recruits off-campus during 42 "evaluation days" during September, October and November. These evaluation days must be designated in writing by each school's athletic director. Recruiters may not visit any single recruit more than once during this time.
Contact - Coaches are allowed to visit recruits off campus. Coaches can make only one visit per week to individual recruits.

• August 1st - November 28: Quiet and Evaluation
  • November 29th - January 30th: Contact Period (with intermittent Quiet and Dead periods)
    [*]December 13th: Quiet
    [*]December 14th - 17th: Dead
    [*]December 18th - 20th: Quiet
    [*]December 21st - January 1st: Dead
    [*]January 2nd - 10th: Quiet
    [*]January 11th - 14th: Dead
    [*]January 15th - 16th: Quiet​
  • January 31: Quiet
  • February 1st - 4th: Dead
  • February 5th - April 14th: Quiet
  • April 15th - May 31st: Evaluation
  • June 1st - July 31st: Quiet

Congrats to

DT Shawn Green
DE Anthony Williams
RB Charles Perkins
DB Ryan Ayers
S Isaiah Johnson
OL Morgan Bailey
S Fred Holton
DB Jake Skole
DL Catlin Alford
Ath B.J. Bostic

All made the Georgia all state team.

Bostic was the 2A offensive player of the year
Johnson was the 4A defensive player of the year

I find it harder and harder to believe that BJ Bostic is playing CB. He looks like A-Back or QB to me. Maybe we can end up with the CB that committed to Clemson to fill that spot.

He's been told that he will get a shot on both offense and defense when he gets here.

I find it harder and harder to believe that BJ Bostic is playing CB. He looks like A-Back or QB to me. Maybe we can end up with the CB that committed to Clemson to fill that spot.

I think Bostic is a bit smallish to play QB. He wouldn't be able to take the pounding. Rivals.com says he weighs less than 160. He might not have the frame to gain 30 pounds and maintain his speed and quickness.

Not sure...he will be at GT very soon though. So he will be working out with the team full time and get his weight up.

Tracy Ham graduated at 5'10" and 190 lbs. I think BJ Bostic could make a fine quarterback.

Back