Official 2013 Recruiting Thread.

Anybody know which recruits are visiting this weekend?

Roof has talked to 4* LB Trey Johnson, who is reportedly "firmly committed" to Ohio State.

This article mentions another couple possible targets:
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/201...f-affect-recruiting/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting
This is all the news up here in Ohio. Roof has OSU's attention and then some. The Buckeyes had been hitting GA. in football recruiting but Roof seems to be fighting hard to keep the bluechippers instate and at Tech.
It's good to have a Tech guy on the staff that knows the area and understands what it takes to be a Jacket.

Free article on Jaylen Miller's visit this weekend:

http://georgiatech.scout.com/2/1257390.html

The visit was a good one for Miller. "I really enjoyed everything there. It was much better than I expected it to be to be honest.” Jaylen’s family also enjoyed their time in Atlanta.

The highlight of the trip for Jaylen was getting to hang out with the players. "We played video games, pool, went bowling, and all that was down on campus.” Jaylen described his time with the players as great times. “Atlanta has a lot to offer."

Miller was hosted on the trip by freshmen defensive end Pat Gamble. Gamble was a perfect fit for Miller. “He reminds me a lot of myself. We like the same things and have similar thoughts about football and school."

New Tech defensive coordinator Ted Roof was one of the coaches that talked with Miller on his visit. "He says he envisions me as a defensive rush end in the 4-3 that he wants to employ. That really appeals to me and I like what he has planned for the defense he wants to run."

As recruits sometimes do, Jaylen rated the visit. Jaylen gave the visit a 9.5. “We has such a good time.” Miller and the other recruits had plenty to do and that was a good thing in his eyes.

Next up for Jaylen will be a visit to Wake Forest this coming weekend. He also has visits planned to Maryland and Tennessee. "I haven't heard from the coaches from North Carolina State in a while so I don't know if that visit will happen."

While it’s possible that Miller could reach a decision before he takes the other visits, he still feels it’s best to take the other visits to have something to compare with Tech.

"We played video games, pool, went bowling, and all that was down on campus.”

Tech Rec was the highlight?

“Atlanta has a lot to offer."

Especially if you're impressed by the entertainment venues on campus.

Anybody know which recruits are visiting this weekend?

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-...georgia-techs-biggest-recruiting-weekend-yea/

There were 9 total

Lovejoy RB Travis Custis, Aquinas RB Brendan Douglas, Tri-Cities OL Shamire DeVine, Jackson DE Justin Akins, Tri-Cities OL Jeremi Hall, OL Chris Griffin of Crawfordville, Fla., and ATH Damon Mitchell of Egg Harbor City, N.J. WR Ricky Jeune of Montvale, N.J. and Jaylen Miller, a defensive end from Gaffney, S.C.

if you go with the right people...anything is fun/awesome.

Not knocking the place, I had plenty of fun at the Tech Rec during my time there. It's the cheapest place for quite some distance to play any of the things they offer, as well. Just surprised to hear it as the highlight at first. In retrospect if all you get is a day on campus and a nice dinner, I can see it. Trying to sell the campus, it's a good point. IMO, We should try selling the city too, it has a lot nicer venues for bowling and pool, and probably video games as well.

It sounds like the Jeune commitment may have helped us with soft commit Damon Mitchell:
While on the trip, Jeune spent some time with fellow New Jersey commit Damon Mitchell. “He talked to me about committing to Georgia Tech so that we could play together.” Mitchell was excited when he learned of Jeune’s commit.​

http://georgiatech.scout.com/2/1257554.html

It sounds like the Jeune commitment may have helped us with soft commit Damon Mitchell:
While on the trip, Jeune spent some time with fellow New Jersey commit Damon Mitchell. “He talked to me about committing to Georgia Tech so that we could play together.” Mitchell was excited when he learned of Jeune’s commit.
http://georgiatech.scout.com/2/1257554.html

According to Rivals and his high school coach, he's still very much a soft comitt. One quote, "He really wants to throw the football and he's grown to like throwing the football more than he likes to run it."

How will the new DL coach help with this year's class? I know he was porbably involved with several players from the state of GA when he was at Auburn.

How will the new DL coach help with this year's class? I know he was porbably involved with several players from the state of GA when he was at Auburn.

I'd say both Ted and Mike won't have much of an effect on any recruits this class. It's just too late in the game. Coaches have been working these kids at a minimum of 2 years by now and so have all of the other coaches around the nation.

The chance of anyone flipping to another school now because of staff changes are very, very slim. The only reason Ted is getting a shot at Johnson is because he has been recruiting him for 2 years by now. Other than that, it's just too late.

According to Rivals and his high school coach, he's still very much a soft comitt. One quote, "He really wants to throw the football and he's grown to like throwing the football more than he likes to run it."

According to the GT Rivals guy, he's canceling all officials and staying with GT.

http://twitter.com/_EricThompson

Translation: CPJ flew up to NJ and said, "Duwop don't get on that plane."

I'm actually pretty pleased with the offensive class. Mitchell is a great QB prospect for us. The three WRs (Jeune, Ramos, Messick) have good size and high ceilings. Custis is a stud and Wilson should get some experience by enrolling early. Douglass could end up being a guy like Laskey I think. Devine, Hall, and Griffin make up a really, really good OL class. And Butker fills a big need for us at kicker. Really a good class, give it a B overall so far.

But the defensive class is worrisome. We need a stud defensive line to compete for championships and this class so far isn't helping. Cleveland is a wildcard at CB, as is Marvin at CB/S. Commissiong is a solid pick-up at DT, but not a world-beater. Robbins and Akins are decent players, but I doubt either will contribute early. Just an underwhelming defensive class. We could really use Miller (maybe) and/or Johnson (unlikely) to supplement here. D+ with the guys we have right now.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the offensive class. Mitchell is a great QB prospect for us. The three WRs (Jeune, Ramos, Messick) have good size and high ceilings. Custis is a stud and Wilson should get some experience by enrolling early. Douglass could end up being a guy like Laskey I think. Devine, Hall, and Griffin make up a really, really good OL class. And Butker fills a big need for us at kicker. Really a good class, give it a B overall so far.

But the defensive class is worrisome. We need a stud defensive line to compete for championships and this class so far isn't helping. Cleveland is a wildcard at CB, as is Marvin at CB/S. Commissiong is a solid pick-up at DT, but not a world-beater. Robbins and Akins are decent players, but I doubt either will contribute early. Just an underwhelming defensive class. We could really use Miller (maybe) and/or Johnson (unlikely) to supplement here. D+ with the guys we have right now.

Well we took 3 defensive linemen last year and another this year with the plan of needing 6 to put on the field, not as surprising we aren't taking a truck load. Also, when has GT ever gotten a world-beater DT out of high school?

Well we took 3 defensive linemen last year and another this year with the plan of needing 6 to put on the field, not as surprising we aren't taking a truck load. Also, when has GT ever gotten a world-beater DT out of high school?

We took 3 good DL last year - easily the best DL class we had since 2007. I'd put all of those guys ahead of the 3 we have right now for '13. It's not just about getting a certain number of players at each position - it's about getting difference makers at those positions.

And I never said we have been getting world-beater DTs, but that's not a good thing and it's the reason I'd rank a lot of our DL classes poorly since the '07 haul of Morgan, Peters, etc. (2010 was a little unlucky with McCoy's health issues and Williams not panning out as expected yet).

Back