Official Kirk Herbstreit's Worthless Opinion Thread

Roddy.JPG

Et tu, Roddy?
Yeah, I was going to post this. Roddy can suck a big ole schlong for this opinion.

FiveThirtyEight has OU and OSU as most probable for 3 & 4 slots.

Leaving undefeated ND out would be awesome.

I'd love that...punish them for not being in an actual conference in football and having to play in a conference championship.
They’ve beaten just as many FBS opponents as Clemson and Bama. Even though Clemson and Bama have 13 games.

I don’t see why playing some öööö FCS school matters as an “extra” game.

I'd love that...punish them for not being in an actual conference in football and having to play in a conference championship.
While I agree they should be punished, it shouldn't be for an undefeated team. It would have been sweeter for a one loss, #4 team to get jumped to give more of a push for them being in a conference championship or have to finish undefeated.

Clemson will make quick work of Notre Dame

Alabama would destroy Ohio State. Oklahoma might be able to just outscore Alabama

So, I'd say
1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Oklahoma

Clemson gets the easier draw by being ranked #2. Go ahead and write them in, in ink, in the National Championship game.

While I agree they should be punished, it shouldn't be for an undefeated team. It would have been sweeter for a one loss, #4 team to get jumped to give more of a push for them being in a conference championship or have to finish undefeated.

Clemson will make quick work of Notre Dame

Alabama would destroy Ohio State. Oklahoma might be able to just outscore Alabama

So, I'd say
1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Oklahoma

Clemson gets the easier draw by being ranked #2. Go ahead and write them in, in ink, in the National Championship game.

Based on eye test, I say:

1) Alabama
2) Georgia
3) LSU
4) Florida

That’s what I need to say to get a job at ESPN, right?

Last edited:
The smartest thing Shart said was at the end of that interview: "I don't know".

He comes up with this stupid idea of how Saban should be asked who he wants to play and how they don't want Georgia. Is that how we do it now? They had a chance to win and blew it. It's 4 quarters, Shart. You and big-game Jake need to get a room and console each other.

öööö Georgia.

I’m putting that on my Christmas card

Saying "they are one of the 4 best teams" and ignoring the resume is a dumb argument. Imagine a team that had their starting oline and 1st through 4th string qbs out causing them to lose the first six games of the year. Those players come back and rail off the greatest offensive performance the game has ever seen, going 7-0 with a conference title. Does a 7-6 team get to go because they are top of the power rankings?

They’ve beaten just as many FBS opponents as Clemson and Bama. Even though Clemson and Bama have 13 games.

I don’t see why playing some öööö FCS school matters as an “extra” game.
I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be in. Simply saying it would make me smile if they got excluded for their insisted upon independence. And because, well...öööö Notre Dame.

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be in. Simply saying it would make me smile if they got excluded for their insisted upon independence. And because, well...öööö Notre Dame.
And ND had a better schedule than UGAg. UGAg had 3 throwaway games - Umass, MTSU, Austin Peay. All are essentially glorified practices. Notre Dame does not schedule Austin Peay.

It's really crazy with the contortions they are going through, not only to get them in, but somehow rank them third.

And ND had a better schedule than UGAg. UGAg had 3 throwaway games - Umass, MTSU, Austin Peay. All are essentially glorified practices. Notre Dame does not schedule Austin Peay.
Correct. ND had the hardest schedule between them, UGAg and Bama IMO...I could care less what any of the pollsters say. But I still hate Notre Dame so despite believing they should be a lock for a 4-team playoff, it wouldn't make me sad if they were excluded....unless that exclusion let the nadlickers in.

This argument does not fail. The other contenders (OU and OSU) did have playoff games... they had to win their conference championship games. No way in the world either would be in this discussion if they'd lost today.

The broader issue, though, is that the reason we moved from the BCS (trying match up the #1 and the #2 teams) to the CFP was because it was unfair that the #3 never got a chance to prove it could beat those higher teams. But tonight UGA got a chance to beat Alabama, and failed.

What possibly rationale is there for giving them a second chance to beat Alabama, and not giving Oklahoma that chance? The ol' "eye test"? If we're gonna go by the "eye test" then let's just give the CFP slots each year to the team with the highest recruiting rankings. Giving UGA a mulligan against Alabama literally one week after they lost to Alabama is the most retarded anti-American anti-competition anti-little guy BS I've ever heard of. Results on the field must trump EVERYTHING.

This is America. Losers go home, not forward. Basing anything on the "eye test" simply keeps control of the game in the hands of recruiting rankings and talking heads and smoke-filled-rooms, and takes power out of the hands of the players – the antithesis of the purpose of the CFP and the beauty of CFB.

/rant

/thread

Last year OU took uga to the last minute. This year they are a one loss champion being compared to a two loss runner up. If they take uga I am going to stop watching college football.

By the way, the politicking by the SEC is through the roof. Conference champions matter because we all can’t play each other and it is impossible to compare.

If not ou, then it should be central Florida!

This argument does not fail. The other contenders (OU and OSU) did have playoff games... they had to win their conference championship games. No way in the world either would be in this discussion if they'd lost today.

The broader issue, though, is that the reason we moved from the BCS (trying match up the #1 and the #2 teams) to the CFP was because it was unfair that the #3 never got a chance to prove it could beat those higher teams. But tonight UGA got a chance to beat Alabama, and failed.

What possibly rationale is there for giving them a second chance to beat Alabama, and not giving Oklahoma that chance? The ol' "eye test"? If we're gonna go by the "eye test" then let's just give the CFP slots each year to the team with the highest recruiting rankings. Giving UGA a mulligan against Alabama literally one week after they lost to Alabama is the most retarded anti-American anti-competition anti-little guy BS I've ever heard of. Results on the field must trump EVERYTHING.

This is America. Losers go home, not forward. Basing anything on the "eye test" simply keeps control of the game in the hands of recruiting rankings and talking heads and smoke-filled-rooms, and takes power out of the hands of the players – the antithesis of the purpose of the CFP and the beauty of CFB.

/rant
Losers used to go home.

Back