Official Notre Dame Postgame Thread

Aren’t we all just there to watch a bunch of dudes run around trying to touch each other?
no-yes-clap-meme-bob-pickler.gif

I'm sorry, were people here expecting us to win this? We were two TD underdogs and ND has better talent and depth at every position.

Some of you whiners really need to prepare your anuses for the UGA game. They are looking in top form, unfortunately.
Good thing you keep your anus perpetually prepared

100%. But apparently CBK has made the decision to stick with what we've got thru the season. Least of the concerns? IDK. But I kind of get it. Don't like it but he doesn't want to fire Shanahan cuz he's a senior and maybe just ride out this year. Birr's not so bad from 40-40+ and extra pts and he has hit some good kicks. But the thinking we need a QB holding for placekicks and improvement on the snap is critical. Another headache for the coach. We're getting there but we're still a step away.
If a player at any other position was consistently performing poorly, someone else would get a chance. Why treat a punter or kicker differently? Both Birr and Shanahan have had ample opportunities at this point.

If a player at any other position was consistently performing poorly, someone else would get a chance. Why treat a punter or kicker differently? Both Birr and Shanahan have had ample opportunities at this point.
The fear of putting someone out there who is less "consistent" and messes something up in a big way. Making a decision like that for the position has a bigger spotlight on it than, say, a linebacker. Add to that the fear that if new guy doesn't work out, confidence of old guy is so shook you're left with neither working.

No, but I have sat amongst Falcons cheerleader alums at a reunion game. Back in the day when I did the falcons pregame band, they would give us game tickets. I got mine and it was an upper deck terrible seat in the Dome. Until I got to my seat and was surrounded by a bunch of recent cheerleading alums. Then it was awesome for about 5 minutes. Then it wasn’t when I had to sit there and listen to them talk incessantly about everything but the football game.

Haha. You may have met my ex-wife. God bless your tolerance :rotfl:

The fear of putting someone out there who is less "consistent" and messes something up in a big way. Making a decision like that for the position has a bigger spotlight on it than, say, a linebacker. Add to that the fear that if new guy doesn't work out, confidence of old guy is so shook you're left with neither working.

Have you not watched the post halftime warmups?
There is no decent backup.

Day after thoughts:

Offense was okay. We struggled to find any kind of identity - Pyron was 9/9 on the first TD drive and then we ran the ball 3x in a row and went three and out the next drive.

Pyron made some bad throws but was seeing extended playing time for the first time in almost 2 years. Kid was a freaking warrior for us there at the end and any frustration I had with him went out the window. We're lucky to have someone who fights that hard down 24 with an obvious left arm injury. Hope he is okay and able to go if we need him in Blacksburg.

Defense gave up 3 TDs and a FG and despite some miscues, played fairly well against a bigger, faster team. Missing Efford hurt as there were lots of plays up the middle where the LB was out of position (including their 2nd TD).

In game strategy continues to be full retart. Brent Key needs some kind of clock/game management consultant. I'm happy to do it for free if it means we stop doing stupid öööö:

1. Not going for it on the ND 48 on 4th and 2 early in the 1st quarter was silly. We were 14.5 point underdogs. Be aggressive.

2. Final drive of the half was just classic mismanagement, both by Pyron and Key. We took a timeout after a first down that stopped the clock for chain movement but let 30s come off between getting said first down and Pyron's slide. We only had 1 timeout left because of general disorganization / bad substitutions.

3. Speaking of bad substitutions, it's unacceptable to keep having 12 men on the field multiples times per game 2/3rds of the way into the year. First game, okay. 8th game? Ridiculous.

4. We put the special in special teams. Shanahan had a rough time out there: Punts are line drives, not able to pin them inside their own 20, holds are bad. Birr is a known quantity (bad) and can't be trusted on kicks over 35 yards. Our return men consistently take the ball out of the endzone and fail to reach the 25 yard line - not only is it a chance for someone to get hurt, but time runs off the clock AND we have worse field position.

Key has to get better at basic, organizational / systems aspects of the game. We have to be sharper as the (usually) less talented team to have a shot at winning these big games. Not saying this game was winnable with the personnel we had, but it could have been much closer (24-20 or 24-24 by my count).

The most glaring thing I saw was how much more physical ND was to GT. It was very obvious that ND's offensive and defensive lines were far superior TO GT's LOS. They were playing true Freshman on defense that were much faster and
stronger than our OL. Not much more can be said other than there's a reason our backup QB is our #2 QB.
yep, on our first TD our OT at 305 lb got NO movement on a 233lb ND LB,scary

Back