Official Notre Dame Postgame Thread

Just my take. Pyron played extremely poised in the first half. For some reason he seemed to let the game speed up too much in the second half. He made some poor throws and decisions with the ball. I certainly don't pin the loss on him. Notre Dame is the best defense we have faced this year, not the best going forward but the best to date. They got some pressure on Pyron, so I'm not sure how much better King would have been in this environment. The defense at times played pretty well, at others the same bugaboo (tackling) seemed to crop up in some crucial situations. I watch other college teams and athletically we hold up pretty well, but fundamentally (technique) we are woefully short. Now on to special teams. This is an area we are hot garbage and have been all season. So many breakdowns game after game. I think at this point a coaching change is required but certainly we have to go after players to fill these huge shortfalls. Time to put this in the rearview and get ready for VT. It will be challenging but if we can fix some areas we have a fighter's chance.

First experience for me at MBS yesterday…

I walked 10 miles. Ten f-ing miles.

MBS is pretty damn cool but way too far away from everything.

No way a team can win w/ special teams that bad. No way in hell.

First experience for me at MBS yesterday…

I walked 10 miles. Ten f-ing miles.

MBS is pretty damn cool but way too far away from everything.

No way a team can win w/ special teams that bad. No way in hell.
10 miles sightseeing or did you park and walk from HE Holmes?

Thoughts in no particular order:

* Pyron had a solid game for his first start in a tough situation. When you have no time any time they blitz, that ends up affecting all of your throws, even when you do have time. A more mature, experienced QB could have handled that better, but again, that's not Pyron right now.

* The biggest thing he clearly doesn't have is King's running ability. That resulted in us focusing on passing more than in any other game this year, and we saw exactly why we don't have a balanced offense with King in: our pass protection sucks.

* I don't understand how it's possible to be so bad on special teams. Can't kick well? Okay, I kind of get that -- kicking isn't easy. But snapping and holding? Give me a break.

* I wasn't at the game but have been at a Tech game at MBS before, and was not a fan at all. We continue to suffer for Stansbury's mistakes. Not even full for ND. Moving the U[sic]GA game next year is 100% the right move given that we are obligated to move one; that game is going to suck and have a few Tech fans anyway, so might as well make the money off of the Dwags. I really hope we don't move any more to MBS after that.

* Finally, a lot of people overreacting. Yes, we were beaten badly by a solid team with our starting QB and best player on D out. But 5-3 at this point in the season is fine. Win against VT and NC State and finish 7-5 in Key's second full year with a brutal schedule is also fine, especially coupled with the fact that we're doing well on the recruiting trail.

I know we all wanted to be 8+ wins and competing with top teams as soon as possible, but going from 3-9 every year to 6-6 year 1 to 5-3 year 2 is what an actual good transition looks like (as opposed to going from 7-6 to 3-9 every year). We need to get to 6 wins minimum though, and really to 7 to make this season a success for me.

öööö the Benz
öööö our ST coach
And honestly, öööö Key for coaching like a gigantic pussy when we were still in it. Kicking a FG instead of going for it was straight retarded, even if it hadn't been blocked.

Every game ball of this year goes to Pyron. True champion. Gigantic balls. GT in his blood.
It’s time to get our öööö mind rite.

On to VPI.

1729431683771.gif

Thoughts in no particular order:

* Pyron had a solid game for his first start in a tough situation. When you have no time any time they blitz, that ends up affecting all of your throws, even when you do have time. A more mature, experienced QB could have handled that better, but again, that's not Pyron right now.

* The biggest thing he clearly doesn't have is King's running ability. That resulted in us focusing on passing more than in any other game this year, and we saw exactly why we don't have a balanced offense with King in: our pass protection sucks.

* I don't understand how it's possible to be so bad on special teams. Can't kick well? Okay, I kind of get that -- kicking isn't easy. But snapping and holding? Give me a break.

* I wasn't at the game but have been at a Tech game at MBS before, and was not a fan at all. We continue to suffer for Stansbury's mistakes. Not even full for ND. Moving the U[sic]GA game next year is 100% the right move given that we are obligated to move one; that game is going to suck and have a few Tech fans anyway, so might as well make the money off of the Dwags. I really hope we don't move any more to MBS after that.

* Finally, a lot of people overreacting. Yes, we were beaten badly by a solid team with our starting QB and best player on D out. But 5-3 at this point in the season is fine. Win against VT and NC State and finish 7-5 in Key's second full year with a brutal schedule is also fine, especially coupled with the fact that we're doing well on the recruiting trail.

I know we all wanted to be 8+ wins and competing with top teams as soon as possible, but going from 3-9 every year to 6-6 year 1 to 5-3 year 2 is what an actual good transition looks like (as opposed to going from 7-6 to 3-9 every year). We need to get to 6 wins minimum though, and really to 7 to make this season a success for me.
This is a good perspective.

I was really just pulling for us to pop Leonard really hard.....OK, I'm lying....I wanted to Mickey Andrews him since Notre Dame left him in all game

Tough loss. ND was just more physical up front. That is their strength and has been for a long time. We aren't bad. We aren't great. There was a clear talent differential. The team played hard, but for things to go our way we couldn't make the mistakes we did on special teams and with the missed tackles. This was about the result I expected looking at the two teams. The program is still in re-build mode. We can out-physical teams that are our level or worse, but we aren't going to push around the top teams. We aren't there yet, but there are some things to be optimistic about.

MBS sucks because we're a warm climate and need a proper open-air stadium. I know the Superbowl is gonna require a dome for climate control, but the sphincter design of MBS is complete trash for the fan experience.
I have enjoyed MBS in the past, but not yesterday. First, they needed to close the damn roof and turn on the air. My seats were insufferable until the end of Q1. Second, turn the music volume down by 50% and fire the DJ. Third, MBS is getting a little run down. I did love MARTA to the game and $2 unlimited Cokes.

I have enjoyed MBS in the past, but not yesterday. First, they needed to close the damn roof and turn on the air. My seats were insufferable until the end of Q1. Second, turn the music volume down by 50% and fire the DJ. Third, MBS is getting a little run down. I did love MARTA to the game and $2 unlimited Cokes.
Unlimited coke? Which bathroom was that in?

We are just nowhere near talented enough to overcome how bad our STs unit is right now. Our net punting is atrocious we are something like 140th and every punt seems like it should be blocked. Our FG kicking is somehow even worse.

We are not winning games when we can’t flip the field and can’t make a FG. No point in even analyzing the O and D when STs is this bad. It truly cripples the team

Back