OFFICIAL OC and DC hire thread

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Jalen Hurts is the best QB for the system and is coming over with Key.
I've been silently praying for and trying to will this to happen. I keep going back to all the talk of a "big surprise" and "Key bringing somebody" and even the "don't assume just college coaches" comment. We all have been thinking NFL coaches... what if that statement meant college players, not coaches??

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
I've been silently praying for and trying to will this to happen. I keep going back to all the talk of a "big surprise" and "Key bringing somebody" and even the "don't assume just college coaches" comment. We all have been thinking NFL coaches... what if that statement meant college players, not coaches??
He applied for grad school at Alabama so he is at least strongly considering staying. If he doesn't stay I think there are other, more attractive options. He will need to go somewhere with an established offense in place to prove he can manage a pass game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try and go somewhere like Washington State, Florida, or another SEC school. I think it would be a mistake for him to go down a level in competition like FAU. It will take time for GT to build out the offensive line and supporting cast for a good pass offense IMO.

thwg

Damn Good Rat
I'm, not trying to be coy or clever. I was speaking about coaches. I hope Hurts comes but think it is highly unlikely.

thwg

Damn Good Rat
He applied for grad school at Alabama so he is at least strongly considering staying. If he doesn't stay I think there are other, more attractive options. He will need to go somewhere with an established offense in place to prove he can manage a pass game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try and go somewhere like Washington State, Florida, or another SEC school. I think it would be a mistake for him to go down a level in competition like FAU. It will take time for GT to build out the offensive line and supporting cast for a good pass offense IMO.
Agreed.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Individually, TU running back Ryquell Armstrong ranks second in the American Athletic Conference and 14th nationally in rushing (109.8 ypg)
Would be funny if we had a RB lead the conference next year.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Found out today that my wife went to college with our new DC. Kind of different thinking of one of the coaches as a peer instead of a fatherly figure. I’m like a real grown-up now. This must be what @coit felt like 80 years ago.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Found out today that my wife went to college with our new DC. Kind of different thinking of one of the coaches as a peer instead of a fatherly figure. I’m like a real grown-up now. This must be what @coit felt like 80 years ago.
180 years ago

MeatWrench

Holder of all Moon records
Did she go to college with him or did she GO TO COLLEGE with him?

gt6828d

Varsity Lurker
Since the last OC thread became a disaster, let's try this one.

If you are the OC, what do you do given the talent and directive to have an NFL-style offense?
In the near term, lots of RPO's, screen game, jet sweeps, etc. Quick hitting stuff with a lot of pre snap motion and window dressing to try to confuse defenses and give our guys some pre-snap reads to take the mystery out of the game. Help your OL with stuff that plays to their strengths and doesn't force them to hold up in pass blocking for a lot of 5 and 7 step drops. And, some option stuff sprinkled in (probably mostly read-option, although I find that cliche in college football at this point). Something like what Clemson runs with fewer deep shots. With Collins saying he wants to use Bruce Swilling on offense some this coming season, I hope he considers playing Juanyeh on offense some, too. These first couple of years while Collins cultivates his recruits are going to be all about creative, gadgety ways to get the handful of playmakers we have the ball in space.

In the long term, I hope the goal is to have what we had back in the late 90's and early 00's where they had such a diverse playbook and enough talent they could beat teams any different way you wanted to play it.

Last edited: