Official Option maggots vs No-option maggots Battleground Thread

which is why I felt that bailing on the system entirely rather than trying to improve recruiting, was throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
we didn't bail on the system. Todd was working with Paul to get what him what he needed. Paul was the one who quit and threw the baby out. Nobody to blame but Paul.

we didn't bail on the system. Todd was working with Paul to get what him what he needed. Paul was the one who quit and threw the baby out. Nobody to blame but Paul.
As has already been said, “throwing the baby out” was going anti-option at all costs and hiring a guy that was in way over his head while not even interviewing a much more qualified candidate that had experience at this school and would not require The Greatest Transformation in the History of College Football.

I supported it at the time because I’m optimistic by nature, but I thought it was a stupid decision then and still do now.

As has already been said, “throwing the baby out” was going anti-option at all costs and hiring a guy that was in way over his head while not even interviewing a much more qualified candidate that had experience at this school and would not require The Greatest Transformation in the History of College Football.

I supported it at the time because I’m optimistic by nature, but I thought it was a stupid decision then and still do now.
I don't think this is true. I remember Quinlan posting that Whisenhunt was actually offered the job and he turned it down.

I don't think this is true. I remember Quinlan posting that Whisenhunt was actually offered the job and he turned it down.

I think you are both sort of right, this article makes it sound like Whisenhunt removed himself from consideration before being interviewed.

Report: Ken Whisenhunt Removes Name from Georgia Tech, Will Remain Chargers OC | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Report: Ken Whisenhunt won’t leave Chargers to be head coach at Georgia Tech – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

IIRC, per Quinlan, the offer was actually extended and he was given something like 24 hours to make a decision but he was never "interviewed". That allowed him to decline the offer, remove his name from consideration and say that he had never been interviewed as a way for the institution to save face and not look like it was rejected.

And FWIW, my understanding is that these kind of negotiations are made with and through the agent as an "unofficial/official" type of deal so that the coach can say he was never offered the position....because the offer was made to the agent, etc etc. I guess we'll never know. But the point is that it does appear TStan's first choice was Whisenhunt.

Of course, I could just be remembering that incorrectly as well.

IIRC, per Quinlan, the offer was actually extended and he was given something like 24 hours to make a decision but he was never "interviewed". That allowed him to decline the offer, remove his name from consideration and say that he had never been interviewed as a way for the institution to save face and not look like it was rejected.

And FWIW, my understanding is that these kind of negotiations are made with and through the agent as an "unofficial/official" type of deal so that the coach can say he was never offered the position....because the offer was made to the agent, etc etc. I guess we'll never know. But the point is that it does appear TStan's first choice was Whisenhunt.

Of course, I could just be remembering that incorrectly as well.

It could also be to satisfy a donor that demanded we try for whiz. Just speculation.

Back